Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2009, 03:17   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Wanna be THAI MUSCLE CAR !!! that was hilarious.
at the risk of upseting honda fanboys. i would like to state a fact that our beloved honda city is just based on the jazz.they share a lot of parts. but they somehow look different. that ARROW SHOT form makes a difference.

i mean last time it was like a copy and paste job. on the old jazz. but this time i think they spend some time on the design. they moulded the curves and lines in a more better way. and they kept in mind a boot of 500 ltrs. and lo and behold a stunning sedan based on jazz!!

you know that ARROW FORM DESIGN. well what is it? its nothing but the i dont look like jazz FORM design. or else why would jazz cost so much guys. they have used premium car parts in a hatchback which is kinda nice.

i am ready to pay 8 lacs. if the just put the 1.5 ltr engine. (i would think of it as mini mpv with hot looks and easier parking) rather than a hatch.!
Old 24th October 2009, 03:43   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
er...ehmmm. you are talking about the fifth largest manufacturer of cars worldwide. its hyundai motors
now its the 4th largest manufacturer of cars in worldwide.
Old 24th October 2009, 07:41   #288
BHPian

SX4 does not stop at being a European car but is the car that is getting Suzuki back on track in US much like the way the Swift did it in Europe. Its definitely one size bigger car than the City in which ever way you look at it.

The cost of spare parts of the city are close to 4 times the price of spare parts of the SX4. That should outset what ever you gain out of getting 1-2 kmpl more in the city.

The American SX4 sedan comes with a lower ground clearance than the cross over(hatch back as we call it) but here they have given us the same stuff(as the cross over) sans the 4WD. Its a sedan that can keep up with cross over in somewhat off roading conditions.

With better low end torque the engine should be more fuel efficient than the current one by atleast 1kmpl.

SX4 world wide is pitched against Corolla not City's smaller sibling Jazz.

So just no point comparing the two. They are totally different stuff though they are closely priced.

About the quality part. Well I have bought two Maruti cars in the last one year and both dont rattle(SX4 and Ritz). I have a 8 year old WagonR(run over 1L kms with a lot of off-roading.) that has never failed me. I am not the only one who has seen MSIL cars run for decades with really low maintainance. They have never compromised on the vehicles mechanicals.

But after all this i dont see SX4 again breaching the city sales. The necessary changes needed are to make the car more luxurious, not more powerful. It desperately needs

> Softer suspension(atleast some thing does not rock the car harshly).
> A bit less noisy interiors(change the tyres first, the suspension mounting, subtract a bit on the engine note)
> A little more luxurious rear seats, the current one is good for long drives but kills the luxury feel.
> Lighter steering, a tad too heavy at low speeds.
> Provide skirts and stuff in the higher end model as standard to make it look lower.
> Advertise a lot better. Man amongst cars does not instill any luxurious feel to the car.

These things should get the sales running.

So, if any one has driven the new one, how does it score on all those points?

Last edited by arunmur : 24th October 2009 at 07:42.
Old 24th October 2009, 08:07   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post
About the quality part. Well I have bought two Maruti cars in the last one year and both dont rattle(SX4 and Ritz). I have a 8 year old WagonR(run over 1L kms with a lot of off-roading.) that has never failed me. I am not the only one who has seen MSIL cars run for decades with really low maintainance. They have never compromised on the vehicles mechanicals.
Couldnt agree more.

I have a Zen for the last 8 years,no issues whatsoever.Engine has run 100K.

I had a Swift for 3.5 yrs and not a single rattle.Was hugely impressed with it until I swapped it for the SX4.So far am so happy with it.

My friend bought a Fiesta S a year back and developed rattles from the 2nd month itself.So there would be some cases in every car which should not be generalized.

About the rattling,before I went for the SX4,asked most of the SX4 owners in team bhp and none had felt that in their cars.Also regarding the FE,its a perception SX4 has poor FE.Most of the owners get around 11 here in the city with 100% AC on.

I drive with 100% AC on an am geeting around 10.2(only a month,going for the first service today) and think it should give me close to 10.5-11 which I will be very very very happy with.

Also,the maintenance is far cheaper than a Ford/Honda who is looking for ways to fleecing customers.

Honda owners,please dont take offence but my father owns a Civic(earlier owned the OHC VTEC) and they couldnt change a mounting whose sound was geeting shriller by the day for 8 months.The part apparently was never available.If thats the sort of service they provide to a customer buying a 13L CAR,I dread.Btw,the 6 CD changer is not working in the Civic and they have said it costs 1L.
Old 24th October 2009, 11:08   #290
BHPian

Quote:
That should outset what ever you gain out of getting 1-2 kmpl more in the city.
A couple of folks have reported 20+ KMPL highway figures on their new AHNCs in the actual FE thread.

Even if taken with a pinch of salt, You've got to give it to the Honda guys where they deserve it.
Old 24th October 2009, 14:45   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yet another satisfied owner.
As for our family of four (with 3 members that drive) we have an old '97 800, '02 Esteem, '06 Baleno and a '09 A-star that has just been purchased. The 800 does rattle a fair bit after clocking more than lakh kilometre, esteem's dashboard too rattles a bit and something rattles occassionally at the rear too, I guess the speaker housing or something but other than that its been a terrific experience. Dad has the old SX4 as his company car and apart from the blindspots from the A-pillar and buzzy note of the engine at high RPMs he has never complained about anything, infact loves it more than the baleno though I do not like his car that much.
Waiting eagerly for the kizashi now, almost time to sell off the esteem and 800 for that big suzuki. Just hope it doesn't sink like the initial balenos but even that I guess won't keep dad from buying it.

What about the performance and drivability of the SX4 Auto? Anyone driven it for a few miles??

Quote:
A couple of folks have reported 20+ KMPL highway figures on their new AHNCs in the actual FE thread.

Even if taken with a pinch of salt, You've got to give it to the Honda guys where they deserve it.
My esteem has delivered 20+kmpl on highways and the Baleno returned around 16kmpl at Chandigarh, does aeound 14 now at bhopal.

20+kmpl from a 1.5 is nothing astoinishing though it is a very respectable figure and I guess Citys have always been good at it. A friend's 1st gen V-tec gives around 15 kmpl at chandigarh.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 24th October 2009 at 14:50.
Old 24th October 2009, 22:13   #292
Senior - BHPian

Some news that I came across. There is marginal FE rise also.

Source : Maruti SX4 coming soon with an automatic version*-*WheelsUnplugged Automobile Industry News

Article :

Quote:
The product extension exercise continues for Maruti Suzuki. Once again it's Men Are Back sedan - Maruti SX4 could soon be seen moving around with an automatic transmission. The once successful sedan which got mauled in the market place by other competitors, has been making overtures to create a new position for itself by several value-adds like launching the updated edition with Bharat IV compliant engine, also following would be the diesel version by mid 2010. The company also updated its exteriors and interiors to make it a worthy purchase over rival models in this segment.

If speculation is to be believed, Maruti relaunch will come with a new 1.6-litre engine, delivering a higher pick up and power (around 106 bhp) with VVTT (Variable Valve Timing Technology). It is widely believed that the upcoming SX4 will be more expensive than the current top-end Zxi variant, which comes at Rs. 7.5 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). Dealer sources requesting anonymity have claimed that a new 1.6 liter engine would provide a fuel efficiency of 12.5 kmpl for the automatic and 15.5 kmpl for the manual.

According to a couple of blogsites , some of the expected bits of the revamped SX4 include Brown + Beige Interiors, USB Input for the ICE (In Car Entertainment), Wooden finish door mounted power window console, Flush fitting central rear seat arm rest, New honeycomb grille, new 10 spoke alloy wheels. With the upgrade Maruti has also launched two new colors - Blue and Brick Red, as mentioned by a blogsite.

Contrary to the earlier speculation, Bollywood hunk, John Abraham is not being roped in to endorse the facelifted SX4 due to some difference over the contract, as reported by ‘The Economic Times. It has also been learnt that the aforesaid midsize sedan’s launched date has been pushed back a little from 13th October to sometime later this month, though the company has refused to put any timeline.

According to industry estimates, the sales of SX4 have dwindled due to the runaway success of the all-new Honda City and the Fiat Linea, which are both positioned in the same segment. SX4, which had a volume of about 1,800 to upto 2,000 units (average), has dropped to less than 1,000 units per month, and now to about 700-800 odd units.
Old 24th October 2009, 22:37   #293
PSI

sx4 - some more pics

Guys,

Maruti has not delivered what was expected from them in this version of SX4
not even a single issue is addressed in the new version
tyres still the same problematic vectras
no changes in the rear seat
the seat fabric looks cheaper than the old(wud be old) SX4
the interiors are worse now, with the beige dash board, the grey center console seems out of the place
the steering mounted control buttons are also grey
the wooden finish on doors seems acceptable to me but not the over all cabin.
one doesnt feel like sitting inside an 8 lacs car(would strongly urge maruti to learn from its competitors like Linea, city - specifically linea)
Linea emotion pack is a wonderful car inside - must consider it before buying any sedan- just a bit under powered

here are some more pics

some comfortably acceptable changes are

all new VVT engine
alloys
USB port adjacent to the power outlet
no changes in the rear(thank god it remains untouched)

Maruti Halts SX4 production for Engine change !!-pic_0018.jpg

Maruti Halts SX4 production for Engine change !!-pic_0019.jpg

Maruti Halts SX4 production for Engine change !!-pic_0020.jpg

Maruti Halts SX4 production for Engine change !!-pic_0021.jpg

Maruti Halts SX4 production for Engine change !!-pic_0023.jpg

The car will be launched either tomorrow or monday
Old 24th October 2009, 23:46   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSI View Post
Guys,

some comfortably acceptable changes are

alloys
Do you really like the 10 spoke alloys?

I thought the 5 spoke looked so so so much more sportier

The best part of this is the new VVT engine,that should def be a lot better esp the bottom end torque.

About the changes in the reat seat,I am not sure you know that they were changed in May.The rear armrest doesnt protrude that much compared to the earlier ones.I just bought a month back and dont think thats a problem.

I would suggest to go for Michelin primacy 205/60/16 or 215/55/16.I have exchanged the Vectras for the Michelin Primacy LC 205/60/16.Tyre noise is non existent now
Old 25th October 2009, 00:02   #295
PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Do you really like the 10 spoke alloys?

I thought the 5 spoke looked so so so much more sportier

The best part of this is the new VVT engine,that should def be a lot better esp the bottom end torque.

About the changes in the reat seat,I am not sure you know that they were changed in May.The rear armrest doesnt protrude that much compared to the earlier ones.I just bought a month back and dont think thats a problem.

I would suggest to go for Michelin primacy 205/60/16 or 215/55/16.I have exchanged the Vectras for the Michelin Primacy LC 205/60/16.Tyre noise is non existent now
yeah i do.
the old 5 spoke alloys looked bland to me, i think the difference here is the quality, similar alloys in the skoda laura look really sporty
Old 25th October 2009, 01:12   #296
BHPian

@ PSI

Bro,

Can you post pics of the front end (Focusing on the grill) & a close up of the stereo of your car.

Also what was the final on road price of the vehicle ??

and

Which dealer did you buy the car from??
Old 25th October 2009, 01:21   #297
PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
@ PSI

Bro,

Can you post pics of the front end (Focusing on the grill) & a close up of the stereo of your car.

Also what was the final on road price of the vehicle ??

and

Which dealer did you buy the car from??
sorry bro

my car is still with the dealer.will get it on monday
the specs n price is not available with the dealer

however there is no change in the stereo except for the USB port shown in one of the pics

will post a closeup pic of the front grill in some time

the dealer is vipul motors faridabad
Old 25th October 2009, 02:29   #298
BHPian

@ PSI.thanks for pointing out the changes and likes and dislikes. but please use only 2 smileys per post. we have this rule here on the forum. plz read the rules if you have not read them yet.
Old 25th October 2009, 09:19   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post

I used to get about 18 kmpl at sub 100's, 17kmpl over 100's and city mileage of about 11kmpl with continuous use of Shell. Stopped using shell as regular petrol since this thing idles at about 400-500 rpm with shell. Now, I fill the SX4 with shell only when there is more than 300 km drive on the highway and easily get 16-17 odd kmpl. My uncle's city manages about 19-20 and he never drives it above 70-80 kmph and about 14 in city(this is a good one). You have to also consider you pay about 1.5L more for the city, which is more than 1 years fuel bill. I am sure you dont save anything over say 5-7 years, may be a bit over that.

Other positive points are this car is an absolute sheer fun to drive on the highways(though somewhat pain in city, thanks to its heavy steering at low speeds). It just gets over 100 in no time and you will never notice it until you pass a truck way too fast. Superb brakes coupled with a ABS is such a boon on the highways. Chassis has close to zero body roll for a tall car of this sort. At around 20k kms it just gets super silent. Very confidence inspiring in our roads filled with potholes, unmarked speed breakers, unmarked diversions and all other unbelievable road obstructions. I am sure it will be a lot more fun if i just switch to some other tyres. I just took it out for a nice long drive yest.

Last edited by arunmur : 25th October 2009 at 09:23.
Old 25th October 2009, 19:55   #300
BHPian

New SX4 specs

Engine:
Type 16V DOHC,VVT
Cylinders 4
No of Valves 16
Piston Displacement 1586cc
Max Output 104.68ps @ 5600 RPM
Max Torque 145NM @ 4100 RPM

L * B* H = same as older version
4 speed Auto Gears
Rest All specifications same as older model

Colors for New SX4 are:

Azure Grey
Pearl Arctic White
Oyster Blue (new)
Midnight Black
Clear Beige
Silky Silver
French Eclair (new) - Saw this color today at a dealer. Looks like Cadbury Dairy Milk Color.

Source: New SX4 Brochure in my hand

Last edited by Eddy : 25th October 2009 at 20:09. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts. Use the edit option if posting within 20 min. Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks