Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2017, 11:44   #61

Re: Drivers with Disabilities

Hi Team-Bhpians,

I have a query regarding insurance for my family's 2011 VW Vento 1.6 MPI Automatic which is registered as an invalid carriage. The car was modified by Ferdinand Rodrigues last year with the addition of a left foot Accelerator.

The car was initially purchased as a used car and transferred on my name as a LMV back in Jan 2015. Last year my parents shifted back from Muscat, Oman and subsequently my father applied for local D/L and thus the car was transferred to his name in April 2016. We had renewed the insurance in Feb 2016 while it was still on my name.

Once the car was transferred to his name, we changed the title on the insurance policy too (Insurance Firm : Tata-AIG).

Now, we were expecting a 50% discount on the Own Damage insurance premium for this year, but Tata-AIG have not provided the same on the reminder for renewal which was sent to us by post. Further when I called customer support, they have even denied of there being any kind provision for discount for the handicapped or for vehicles registered as Invalid Carriage.

1. How are we supposed to approach the insurance company with regard to the above ? 2. Have any of you had any experiences ?
3. Should we shift to a public sector insurance firm ?
Old 6th January 2017, 07:29   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakhanironak View Post
Hi Team-Bhpians,

1. How are we supposed to approach the insurance company with regard to the above ? 2. Have any of you had any experiences ?
You are right. Private insurance firms refuse this 50% discount. I'm not sure if this is a mandatory provision, but then its not worth the effort trying to convince everyone from telecaller to branch manager on this.

The best option is to move to a Govt insurance co; I got mine from National Insurance. Zero dep policy with 50% discount for my Verna.
autotranny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 18:44   #63

Thanks Autotranny. Opted for Oriental, they have promised a 50% discount on the own damage premium
Old 14th January 2017, 20:32   #64
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Hi Guys,
I am planning to buy a Wagon R and get it modified in order to make it wheelchair accessible like the picture attached. I am based out of Bangalore and looking for a body shop which can do this.
  1. I don't have a Wagon R yet and plan to buy a used one. If I purchase it outside of Karnataka, will I get road tax/excise/insurance exemption? Because, I will not be the one driving this Wagon R but it will be modified specifically for me. Does it require the body shop to be RTO approved?
Sorry I missed out this post earlier so I am providing some answers in case you still need them. In Bangalore Galaxy systems are the RTO authorized bodyshop that can do the modifications and nobody else (my information is from May 2015 when I had got it done). See my post 1 above yours (Post #58). There was another garage that was also trying to get the approvals so they might have got it by now.
Go to your local RTO and meet with the Asst. RTO and he/she will guide you. You can also get the list of currently approved garages from the Registration clerk.
It doesn't matter where you purchase from. As long as you register it in KA as "Invalid carriage" following the necessary process and documentation, you will be eligible for exemption on Road tax (only have to pay a small registration amount). For out of state you will have to go thru the NOC hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
If the car is not driven by you, but a chauffeured one, then you have to pay all taxes due and no benefits are given.
Whatever research I did indicated that the car either has to be driven with a driver having "Invalid carriage" license or it can even be driven by LMV license holder as long as the car is meant for an differently abled person. Now this provision will leave door open to misuse so hope you understand that if you want road tax exemption by registering it as "Invalid carriage" you need to take out the car only when you are using it (either as driver or passenger depending on the case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakhanironak View Post
I have a query regarding insurance for my family's 2011 VW Vento 1.6 MPI Automatic which is registered as an invalid carriage.
The car was initially purchased as a used car and transferred on my name as a LMV back in Jan 2015. Last year my parents shifted back from Muscat, Oman and subsequently my father applied for local D/L and thus the car was transferred to his name in April 2016. We had renewed the insurance in Feb 2016 while it was still on my name.

Once the car was transferred to his name, we changed the title on the insurance policy too (Insurance Firm : Tata-AIG).

Now, we were expecting a 50% discount on the Own Damage insurance premium for this year, but Tata-AIG have not provided the same on the reminder for renewal which was sent to us by post. Further when I called customer support, they have even denied of there being any kind provision for discount for the handicapped or for vehicles registered as Invalid Carriage.

Is the car registered as "Invalid carriage"? I understood from above that the registration changed from you to your dad so in that case did the car continued "Invalid carriage" registration? If Yes then as per IRDA rule, you are entitled for 50% discount on basic car insurance (not the add-ons like Zero dep etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
You are right. Private insurance firms refuse this 50% discount. I'm not sure if this is a mandatory provision, but then its not worth the effort trying to convince everyone from telecaller to branch manager on this.

The best option is to move to a Govt insurance co; I got mine from National Insurance. Zero dep policy with 50% discount for my Verna.
Since this is IRDA rule, it is mandatory and they are supposed to follow it else you can complain. But most are ignorant and do not want to go thru the paperwork so they flatly refuse. You can take them to task if you have time & patience. When I bought a new car, the dealership insurers flatly refused so my SA told to go ahead and get insurance from outside. I could have fought back but got a great quote from Future Generali so went with it. There was one more insurance company (I think it was Sundaram but am not 100% sure) which came close enough in their online quote (though higher than FG) - when I spoke over phone with the Rep and asked him to give me the 50% discount he said that the online quote is already significantly discounted so he cannot give another 50% on that (I am assuming he meant 50% would be on regular quote which would still be more than the online quote). I did not pursue it further.
To summarize - all insurance providers are supposed to give it. You would have a better shot not online but at your local agent (even if he is private insurance agent) as he would take the pain of negotiating with the company and do the paperwork.

Last edited by JD1 : 14th January 2017 at 20:34. Reason: Correcting typo in the Year (2015 and not 2014)
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 19:01   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Sorry I missed out this post earlier so I am providing some answers in case you still need them. In Bangalore Galaxy systems are the RTO authorized bodyshop that can do the modifications and nobody else
It doesn't matter where you purchase from. As long as you register it in KA as "Invalid carriage" following the necessary process and documentation, you will be eligible for exemption on Road tax (only have to pay a small registration amount). For out of state you will have to go thru the NOC hassle.
My experience with Galaxy systems has been pretty bad. I kept calling and following up with him for 2 weeks and he wouldn't give me a quote. Kept saying he'll mail me a detailed document of his services and didn't do that either. Moreover, it was his first time getting something done like I wanted, i.e. raise the roof, lower flooring and install ramp in a Wagon R. They mostly deal in hand controls installation in cars. If you know of someone more accountable and responsive at Galaxy Sytems, do PM me their details.

As of now I have no option but to send the car to Mr. Rodricks (Mumbai) for modification. Have almost finalized the deal on a used car (KA registration itself) and will close it in next few days. Since road tax will not be an issue here, I'll just get the IC stamp done in RC after mods are done and I get the car back from Mumbai.
Old 15th January 2017, 22:25   #66
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
As of now I have no option but to send the car to Mr. Rodricks (Mumbai) for modification. Have almost finalized the deal on a used car (KA registration itself) and will close it in next few days. Since road tax will not be an issue here, I'll just get the IC stamp done in RC after mods are done and I get the car back from Mumbai.
Did you meet with ARTO? There is some paperwork involved (from the garage to RTO) to get the car registered. They might not consider an out of state garage valid (we sorely need a department of common sense which is missing in our country). They could give you a hard time if they follow the rules by the letter (which they tend to do as per their convenience).
Old 18th January 2017, 12:03   #67

Quote:
Did you meet with ARTO? There is some paperwork involved (from the garage to RTO) to get the car registered. They might not consider an out of state garage valid (we sorely need a department of common sense which is missing in our country). They could give you a hard time if they follow the rules by the letter (which they tend to do as per their convenience).

That's a valid point. Ferro Equip (Rodrick's garage) is in MH and it might not be considered valid. I have not met any RTO guys yet, mostly because it's difficult for me to get in and out of a car so I tend not to go anywhere unless absolutely necessary.

Which RTO office should I go to which has somewhat helpful set of folks who are aware with disability provisions? I live in Whitefield BTW, would appreciate something closer.
Old 23rd January 2017, 00:42   #68
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
That's a valid point. Ferro Equip (Rodrick's garage) is in MH and it might not be considered valid. I have not met any RTO guys yet, mostly because it's difficult for me to get in and out of a car so I tend not to go anywhere unless absolutely necessary.

Which RTO office should I go to which has somewhat helpful set of folks who are aware with disability provisions? I live in Whitefield BTW, would appreciate something closer.
You can send someone on your behalf. I am not sure if your area falls under Indiranagar or KR Puram RTO.
Old 23rd January 2017, 07:24   #69

Quote:
You can send someone on your behalf. I am not sure if your area falls under Indiranagar or KR Puram RTO.
It falls under K R Puram RTO. I closed the deal on car yesterday. Brought home a Sky blue Wagon R AX 2009 MPFI model, 20k on the odo, well maintained. For now, I've asked an agent to get paperwork transferred to my name. Will look into the IC thing when that is done.

I got to know about Motorminds in Bangalore and they were confident about modifying the Wagon R in a similar fashion. only thing is we'll have to guide them in what all to do. Modifying floor and roof seem to be easy and I can tell them what I need but the safety part of it, i.e. wheelchair locks inside the car, seat belts for wheelchair user is something I'm not sure of since I've never seen interiors of such a car. Even Mr. Rodricks' videos on YouTube only show it from the outside which does not give a clear idea of what safety features are there.

It is a crucial part of whole modification because without it, I'll immediately topple backwards or forwards as the car accelerates/brakes.
Old 15th February 2017, 14:14   #70
BHPian

Hi All
Just want to update on my friend's car buying experience .
Please refer posts #56, #57 & #58 for background .

He is having left hand disability , so he wanted the car to be registered as Invalid carriage to get a valid DL for Invalid carriage .
He approached Shivprasad of Galaxy systems Bangalore and Shivprasad suggested a steering knob with essential control on the knob itself , that costs 1350 Euros ! which seems to be on a higher side given that he drove his previous car santro AT with just a steering grip .
But Galaxy systems suggested steering knob with more controls , which may satisfy the RTO authorities during DL test .

He bought a Jazz V CVT and added the steering knob and got it registered as Invalid carriage
subsequently went for LL and DL test and succeeded .
DL is expected anytime - just taking its procedural time .

He got road tax benefit ,
Applied for insurance discount and expecting the 50% discount amount back .
as the initial insurance was to be bought for full amount .

could not go for excise duty reduction as it involves lengthy procedure and time delays associated with them .
He bought the car through Honda Mysore road dealer and the dealer helped in getting the car registered as IVC.
Old 15th February 2017, 15:43   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Hi All
Just want to update on my friend's car buying experience .
Please refer posts #56, #57 & #58 for background .

He is having left hand disability , so he wanted the car to be registered as Invalid carriage to get a valid DL for Invalid carriage .
He approached Shivprasad of Galaxy systems Bangalore and Shivprasad suggested a steering knob with essential control on the knob itself , that costs 1350 Euros ! which seems to be on a higher side given that he drove his previous car santro AT with just a steering grip .
But Galaxy systems suggested steering knob with more controls , which may satisfy the RTO authorities during DL test .

He bought a Jazz V CVT and added the steering knob and got it registered as Invalid carriage
subsequently went for LL and DL test and succeeded .
DL is expected anytime - just taking its procedural time .

He got road tax benefit ,
Applied for insurance discount and expecting the 50% discount amount back .
as the initial insurance was to be bought for full amount .

could not go for excise duty reduction as it involves lengthy procedure and time delays associated with them .
He bought the car through Honda Mysore road dealer and the dealer helped in getting the car registered as IVC.
And also to add under Shivprasad's (of Galaxy systems) direction , my friend also got a fitness certificate from Orthopaedic surgeon of Victoria Hospital .

All in all the solution offered by Galaxy systems is costlier but
(a) their modification certificate is valid for registering as IVC ,
(b) Mysore Road Honda dealer helped in paper work etc , as he has working relation with Galaxy systems
(c) Orthopaedic surgeon gave Fitness certificate going by Galaxy system's reference
and my friend is more interested in getting a valid DL he was not too much bothered by cost ,
Having said that the cost of steering knob is covered by reduction in road tax.
Old 22nd February 2017, 12:31   #72

Just an update. We did manage to get a 50% discount from Oriental Insurance for the Vento and went ahead with them. The only proof they required was a photocopy of the RC with the vehicle type mentioned as Invalid Carriage.

In the meantime, we went ahead and purchased another car, the Ford Ecosport AT. Now my dad uses the Vento as his primary car, but he wishes to drive the EcoSport occasionally too.

We have a FNG who has agreed to create a replica of the left foot gas pedal for fitment on the EcoSport. We are now confused whether we should approach Ferro Equip to get this fitment done officially or continue with the FNG. Ferro Equip had charged Rs. 9k for the Vento and it was mandatory for us to get the vehicle type changed before getting the modification done, while the FNG has quoted Rs. 5k only.

Also we don't plan to change the vehicle type to Invalid Carriage on the Registration Certificate. The EcoSport was purchased used, and the car registration is being transferred to my father's name itself.
Old 28th August 2017, 12:59   #73
BHPian

HI
Can you let me know , in the DL for Drivers with disability Will it be mentioned only "invcrg" i.e., for invalid carriage or the vehicle registration number also be mentioned .
I am hearing that the vehicle number also need to be mentioned to get the 50% discount for insurance premium .
I was under the impression that only the RC data of vehicle will have invalid carriage . the DL need not have any mention of vehicle number .

getting the policy with 50% discount is one thing , but do we face any issues while claiming !!
Old 11th February 2018, 22:20   #74
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I recently met a Doctor in Kerala who has been affected with paralysis below the waist, for the past two years. Still he travels in an Innova with the help of a driver to various places for work and work related seminars/workshops. He even went to Hyderabad recently for a conference. Knowing that I am a car enthusiast, he has sought help with modifying his car. He wants to modify his car so that he can get in and get out comfortably. I have read on various threads about people modifying cars for drivers who are differently abled but here the person is not going to drive. He wants to travel more comfortably and make the access to the vehicle and exit from the vehicle easier. I heard from a thread about SHREE VARI ENGINNEERING and MR.SHANKAR. Any feedback on them? or any other place who can do customisation for this purpose as per our requirements? Any help/reference would go a long way. Please do let me know. Thanks!
Old 12th February 2018, 14:05   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghulsudheesh View Post
Any feedback on them? or any other place who can do customisation for this purpose as per our requirements? Any help/reference would go a long way. Please do let me know. Thanks!
There are a some caveats, but a variety of different solutions available for the person you're talking about. I myself am in a wheelchair, and have a modified Wagon R, with raised roof, lowered floor, and a ramp attached to the boot, which enables me to climb inside the car, and travel around, while seated on my wheelchair. This can be done on multiple other vehicles but you will have to take into account the user's needs. Questions like:
  1. What are the dimensions of his chair? L x W
  2. What is his height while he's seated on the chair?
  3. Is it a manual or automatic wheelchair?

As far as the workshops go, Ferdinand Rodricks from Ferro Equip (Mumbai) is one of the best out there. He has been doing this kind of work for a long time now and has an eye for minute details. As with any quality service, it comes with a nice price tag. You can check his website for more details. I got it done from a local garage in Mumbai for half the price. However, he did a real shoddy job, and I'm not pleased with the quality. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help you out.
StringerBell is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks