Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: what can be done to fiat?
can give them another chance 35 23.81%
should be ousted from indian automobile industry henceforth 11 7.48%
should put a stay to streamline A.S.S before launching other variants 101 68.71%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:34   #46
BHPian

I own a Fiat Linea MJD and have clocked close to 20 K kms so far. Overall the car is great but Fiat needs to work on all the backend things. Right from the 2 month delay in delivery to the A.S.S. I am not at all satisfied. My car has been to the service center almost 10 times till now. Each time it is there for 4 - 5 days. The chrome strip has fallen multiple times, The USB connector broke, rattling from multiple places, issues with seat covers, etc. etc. etc. are some of the many issues I have faced

They put the wrong oil in my car and never have the required parts in stock. The A.S.S. people are very courteous but to get anything done I have to e-mail Mangesh and others at Fiat.

For the last month or so even continous e-mails to Mangesh didn't work. I was supposed to send my car to get a whole host of issues fixed and the oil changed a month ago. The day before I was supposed to send my car I called the GM of the workshop several times and even sent him several messages asking him to confirm that he has all the parts and that I can send my car. I didn't get a response back from him. The next day my car was already on it's way to the service center when I got an sms from him stating that he will let me know when to send my car as he wants to check the parts to make sure they were received OK. I didn't hear back from him for a while so I started e-mailing him and Mangesh and didn't hear back. Finally I got fedup and told both of them to give me a list of parts that were not available and I would e-mail some higher ups and the parts help e-mail id. That's when I got a response asking me to send my car. My car is now going to them on Tuesday. Hopefully most of the issues will be taken care of. Check out my thread in the short term ownership forum if you want to read more about my experiences!

I still say the car is great. Extremely stable at highspeeds, very fuel efficient, looks great, etc. If feel if Fiat improved the delivery, A.S.S. & minor fit and finish issues they could be selling 2000 Linea's a month instead of struggling to reach 1,000.

Anyways that's my 2 cents as a Fiat owner .
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
I own a Fiat Linea MJD and have clocked close to 20 K kms so far. The chrome strip has fallen multiple times, The USB connector broke, rattling from multiple places, issues with seat covers, etc. etc. etc. are some of the many issues I have faced
It is evident that the initial lot of Lineas had quality niggles like this. But by reading the feedback from the new lot of Linea owners, I think these bugs are more or less fixed and the new cars are coming out with better quality. It is good that Fiat noted the initial feedback from customers and at least acted upon it by improving the production quality though not providing spares for the initial within a reasonable time.

I'll see myself from tomorrow onwards, as I am taking the delivery of a Flamingo Red Linea (for my Brother) from Kulathunkal, Trivandrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Is the poll for real? What exactly are the options? My reading of them somehow gave me the impression that all the options are saying only negative things about Fiat in India.

If someone wants to make a statement, they are welcome to make a statement. Stilted polls where all questions (options) propose only one answer or view are best left to marketing guys.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Surprising that no mention is made of Fiat First (I hope I have got the name right) a roadside repair and emergency service. Several people have used it and have given excellent reports about it. The helpline sends out a mechanic with all tools and required parts to the customer's location to fix the vehicle. The mechanic arrives within a reasonable time and fixes the car. Does this not count in a discussion on A.S.S.
Who says? I've posted about my experience in the Fiat-First thread and I've given a link to that post in this thread. None of these "Fiat need to improve their A.S.S." guys had to say anything.

From what I've seen so far, when someone interacts with the service guys with the predetermined mindset that Fiat's service is really bad, they are most likely to face issues. I just don't go to the service center with this mindset and it helps a lot. I keep some personal contacts with service guys and that also helps.
Old 22nd November 2009, 19:28   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
Its the brand image which fetches premium , goes with almost all european car makers.
See how VW Beetle is priced around 20 Lacs.
Brand sells isnt it.
Hyundai is a brand in India as it has followed what suzuki did and has met with success.
European car makers will not fall into such volume games.

At the end one cannot compare Hyundai with Fiat.
If you are reffering to I20 , wait and see feedback after a year , its a new model , real test will be after a year.
Punto is a proven car and is a cash cow for Fiat in Europe.

I dont own a Punto either...
How does brand image build up? Quality of the product and service the end customer gets plays a major role. You are right - European cars do fetch a premium - but in Europe. In India when the European's (read Fiat) service levels do not match the competition the brand value goes down.
Why shouldn't I compare Hyundai and Fiat? If I were to buy a car in the same price bracket and I have both Fiat and Hyundai in that bracket I will compare both and one of the important parameters I will consider is service.
I will be surprised if Europeans won't go after numbers. Why else would VW plan to pit Polo against the Swift instead of positioning it at the top?
If European cars were valued by the public I would expect the inverse sales between the i20 and Punto.
I completely agree that European cars are in their league of their own when it comes to build, ride quality etc. But an end customer who spends his hard earned money on a life time purchase would prefer an 'inferior' korean or japanese product with good service back up rather than risk buying a great car without service back up.

Regarding i20- Yes I was also referring to i20. I was also referring to other models from Hyundai. We have owned a Hyundai for 9 years and I can vouch for the quality of interiors from Hyundai. The same cannot be said about others including Suzuki.

I am not against Fiat. I am only saying that Fiat should back up those lovely Puntos and gorgeous Lineas with the service they deserve. Guess Fiat is on a learning curve and they will learn from mistakes. I am eagerly waiting for a day when Fiats service is perceived (because market perception is most important) on par with competition. I would love my next car to be a European one. VW or Fiat or Peugeot.
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:48   #49
BHPian

Could we have Fiat owners giving account of their pleasant experiences at A.S.S. I suppose that would give a better perspective.
Old 22nd November 2009, 23:26   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could we have Fiat owners giving account of their pleasant experiences at A.S.S. I suppose that would give a better perspective.
I have visited 10 times to TASS after i had got my linea. believe me not a single time i have come out smiling.

@starvegabong.

i am still hoping.

yes i had been a fiat fanboy before i got my linea. but now. i am regretting. i now sincerely thing things will not change.

i got a mail from rajeev kapoor who has said he will look into the matter. concorde has promised me to take the car for patchwork tomorrow morning.

but what is the use.

the customercare manager concorde called me and said " we are sorry sir . we will repair your car and give it to you".

i said " i will punch your nose and make it bleed. then say sorry and then will take you up for surgery to rectify it and give it to you"

i have lost total faith in Concorde and FIAT.

May be it is time for me to sell the car and get a BMW . i am not able to tolerate anything anymore.

Had a freakish accident yesterday when i ran over a speeding monkey. the fog lamp on the left side has now got damaged.

I am going to ask them tomorrow if they have the part ready in stock. if they dont have it, then i will ask them to take the car back and give me a depriciating amount for the car perse.

i think it is better to give away and be happy rather having it and loose my piece of mind!!!!
Old 22nd November 2009, 23:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
May be it is time for me to sell the car and get a BMW . i am not able to tolerate anything anymore.
When you start losing your peace of mind over a car, that is when you need to start thinking about getting rid of it. I would recommend the Altis for you. It seems to be a favorite among the medical crowd.
Old 23rd November 2009, 07:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

It is 8 am. havent got any call from concorde or anyone who said they will pick up my vehicle.

This is what i was talking about!!.

They do something wrong. They said they will rectify it after some bashing. now they dont call. this is what i call lack of commitment
Old 23rd November 2009, 08:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have visited 10 times to TASS after i had got my linea. believe me not a single time i have come out smiling.
10 visits over 6 months is really not so positive. but i am sure there would be some bright points, may be you can remember them

Quote:
i am still hoping.

yes i had been a fiat fanboy before i got my linea. but now. i am regretting. i now sincerely thing things will not change.

i got a mail from rajeev kapoor who has said he will look into the matter. concorde has promised me to take the car for patchwork tomorrow morning.

but what is the use.

the customercare manager concorde called me and said " we are sorry sir . we will repair your car and give it to you".

i said " i will punch your nose and make it bleed. then say sorry and then will take you up for surgery to rectify it and give it to you"

i have lost total faith in Concorde and FIAT.
It is good that FIAT India CEO is responding to you, i have also earlier seen that few people at FIAT are really (re-actively) responsive to customer complaints. But these reactive action by individuals can not make the system consistently performing. May be they need to look at systemic changes viz.

1. Raising the threshold of the product qualification i.e. number of minor known issues yet to be fixed prior to the market launch. this helps in preventing the niggles in first place.

2. Training the dealerships and service centers to be more proactive in addressing the issues. Raising the expertise level of the technicians etc

3. providing more financial assistance to the service centers/dealerships, if they make more money then of course they are interested to serve the customer.

4. Dealership policy need to be consistent. Frequent hiring and firing of dealers is not good as dealers will not invest in building the business and everything works on hand to mouth or event triggered basis.

5. Often marketeers go over board in RIGHT pricing the product especially in new/emerging markets w/o really understanding the complete picture, For premium products like C segment cars, few (tens of) thousand rupees here or there does not really matter, what matters is product should stay sold, after sales support is excellent and consistent, Customer continues to remain in HIGH as like the day of car delivery throughout the ownership period. there are costs involved in these activities, if product does not give enough margins then system (= operations team) will take its own course and cutting the corners will happen resulting in deficiencies in service levels.

Quote:
i am sure this is an emotional response from you, Even if you want to buy a new car, please do your homework well.

Quote:
Had a freakish accident yesterday when i ran over a speeding monkey. the fog lamp on the left side has now got damaged.
This is bad, probably you are too distracted by the happenings, probably you should hire a driver for some time. drive safe

Quote:
I am going to ask them tomorrow if they have the part ready in stock. if they dont have it, then i will ask them to take the car back and give me a depriciating amount for the car perse.

i think it is better to give away and be happy rather having it and loose my piece of mind!!!!
Again, i think this is an emotional response, please take a break, Think over the good moments you have spent with your car, the joy and pride of ownership, happy moments while traveling etc. Deal the issue rationally and even if you want to sell the car do not make it a distress sale.
Old 23rd November 2009, 08:17   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you should really do that mate. It seems Linea is not the car which is chosen for you by the Gods.

The more you get angry with the service people, the less they're going to take care of you and your car. E-mailing Fiat won't help you procure any spare parts faster either. Sorry to know that you are totally in a very helpless situation with your car. Good thing is, it may fetch your a good price in the second hand market as of now.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd November 2009 at 08:19.
Old 23rd November 2009, 08:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

yea . it is indeed a sort of getting emotional.

i did my homework before buying linea. and only after the promise from the dealership that the parts are readily avaialble i opted to go for linea.

but now i am suffering.

i am quite sure that the fog lamp console will not be available with them as they dont even have a small clip for linea.

reason they say is

" the fiat does not give anything in credit. we have to pay and get it"

who cares. as if they dont have enough money to run a authorised service station.

if they really dont have they must shut it and go away.

I am terribly pissed off.

i was an ardent supported of fiat. you could very well see it in my thread. but now day by day it has withered.

i think there is a limit to everything.

why to fool everyone saying parts are readily available and then move away from what they said?.

i had attended a "car and coffee meet" earlier organised by fiat-tata. the vice president kept retirating in mic that the spares problem is over repeatedly.

But now what i get to see is that the problem is far from over!!!
Old 23rd November 2009, 08:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Geeash - its sad to hear about this. ANyone who spends 8-9L on a car does deserved to be treated much better!

Anyway, hang in there and keep the faith. You like the car, and no doubt is a great car. Hope the rest will fall in place soon enough.
Old 23rd November 2009, 08:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i am quite sure that the fog lamp console will not be available with them as they dont even have a small clip for linea.

reason they say is

" the fiat does not give anything in credit. we have to pay and get it"

who cares. as if they dont have enough money to run a authorised service station.

if they really dont have they must shut it and go away.

why to fool everyone saying parts are readily available and then move away from what they said?.

i had attended a "car and coffee meet" earlier organised by fiat-tata. the vice president kept retirating in mic that the spares problem is over repeatedly.

But now what i get to see is that the problem is far from over!!!
Hey Dr Ashwin,

Please do not get angry or pissed off, trust me, it wont help you solve the problem any faster, more over it will spoil you mood, mood of people around you, make the issue more complex, eventually financial losses to you if you distress sell your car.

Your response confirms what i said earlier,

What FIAT needs is systemic changes viz.

1. Raising the threshold of the product qualification i.e. number of minor known issues yet to be fixed prior to the market launch. this helps in preventing the niggles in first place.

2. Training the dealerships and service centers to be more proactive in addressing the issues. Raising the expertise level of the technicians etc

3. providing more financial assistance to the service centers/dealerships, if they make more money then of course they are interested to serve the customer.

4. Dealership policy need to be consistent. Frequent hiring and firing of dealers is not good as dealers will not invest in building the business and everything works on hand to mouth or event triggered basis.

5. Often marketeers go over board in RIGHT pricing the product especially in new/emerging markets w/o really understanding the complete picture, For premium products like C segment cars, few (tens of) thousand rupees here or there does not really matter, what matters is product should stay sold, after sales support is excellent and consistent, Customer continues to remain in HIGH as like the day of car delivery throughout the ownership period. there are costs involved in these activities, if product does not give enough margins then system (= operations team) will take its own course and cutting the corners will happen resulting in deficiencies in service levels.

6. FIAT managed spare part stocks in key markets or cities or providing credit to the dealerships for spare parts etc.

i see a clear case of

Overly eager marketeers ==> Aggressive Pricing ==> Over Commitments ==> System not geared up to deliver on over commitments ==> Under Delivery ==> dis-satisfied customer ==> escalations ==> cost escalations ==> break-down of the chain as no one is making money or happy.

Last few steps have not yet happened, but there are clear indications that if FIAT does not act fast, it will happen.

Regarding your specific case,

1. Please cool down,
2. let the issue be handled by your wife or any one other in your family
3. Let there be consistent follow up and dialog
4. get the issue resolved
5. think over rationally about your options, they could be a different service center in chennai, a specific cusotmer care program offered by FIAT, or changing your car.
6. never sell your car in distress, get the right valuation for the vehicle.

lastly, doctors need to be happy in first place so that they can make their their patients happy, Cheer up, do not let this issue distract you or make you angry.
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:09   #58
BHPian

Hi Geeash,
It is very sad to see a staunch FIAT supporter feeling cheated. In Hyderabad, Concorde is not suggested even for TATA vehicle service. They made a mess out of one my friends car (Indigo XL). They did not fit suspension properly and lot other things. Car stay put at Service station for almost a week. If this is the quality of service they are providing for TATA vehicle, you can imagine the plight of FIAT customers. I have seen local mechanics use concorde to get spares. However a spare request from custer would be the classic "It would take 2 weeks sir." God only when would that 2 weeks come. Please refer to any of the friends in Chennai and change your service station immediately. Call up Mangesh, inform the same and warn him that Legal option may be last resort if things continue to so the same. As Narayana Murthy stated, love your job not the company; here it would be love your car not the company who made it. I have learned it in hard way.

I have an Fiat Adventure. OEM Front right lower arm replaced with local made by a authorized service station almost 2 and half years back and we had replaced bearing of the same wheel for 5 times, Nuckle (the service center fit ABS nuckle of some vehicle) once. No mechanic has identified the root cause or they may be ignorant about this. First 5 months of driving was like the best car we have seen. After 1st service every other problem cropped up. Clutch was termed out to be weak. We did not heed to that as it was a new vehicle and we owned a palio for 2 years already then. Last week, it is confirmed that clutch has been actually bad. However, I suspect it is got replaced with old one at the time of first service. I will start a new thread about this with all the history, mechanics we visited and the pain we went through. I am just waiting for Clutch Plates to be available (Local mechanic got assurance from Concorde Hyderabad) and see if this is the actual issue. If vehicle is not responded to all the repairs, we are ready to sell the car. Our impatience continues to grow day by day.

-BSR
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:37   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
IMHO they are the best cars (as in Value for money) in the market right now, but the only reason Palio failed and GP & Linea will fail is because of A.S.S., agreed build quality is an issue, but then thats there in almost all the manufacturers in India.
+1
FIAT products are great. Its only that when we guys come to TATA/FIAT we start complaining about qualities,fit finish etc etc. Every product when launched (atleast in first 2 years) does have some or the other problems but then they are taken care of by the OEM's. The biggest example I would quote is Indica which had enormous problems initially but then they were sorted out eventually.
GP & Linea are revolutionary products in their respective segments. All FIAT needs to take care is NOT goof up with its AFTER SALES.
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:50   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hey Dr Ashwin,
5. think over rationally about your options, they could be a different service center in chennai, a specific cusotmer care program offered by FIAT, or changing your car.
Going to a different service center in chennai is a good option you can try geeash. One of my friends who owns a Linea was very unhappy with Concorde in chennai and she has started going to VST. Even she faces delays but her experience is lot better in VST.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks