Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 20:31   #91
Senior - BHPian

Like many in this thread, I always wished to own this car right from childhood. Got a chance to buy a VTEC and did not let go. OHCs have always been known for iffy handling with stock suspension, but the engine is perhaps one of the best sold in our country. Honda could've given us more under-the-hood interoperability and standardisation with the older-gen Civics. But even today, if you know your way around Hondas, you can make it go like nothing else for that price.

And since many OHC owners are sharing pics of their prized possessions, here's a few of mine

The City never sleeps-old1.jpg

The City never sleeps-100_0492_2.jpg

The City never sleeps-100_0499_2.jpg
Old 15th December 2009, 22:54   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You know what makes the OHC so special? Simple because there wasn't a follow up act. Not by Honda, not by any other There is no car under 10 lakhs today that has such a revv-happy engine. Or can match its 0 - 100 time. Or can bring such a W-I-D-E grin on your face each time you drive it.
fiesta s fits the bill here!!! But the Honda is a great !
Old 15th December 2009, 23:20   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
fiesta s fits the bill here!!! But the Honda is a great !
After how many years? And how high do the revs go?
Old 16th December 2009, 01:06   #94
Senior - BHPian

The OHC was perhaps one of India's first (and still one of the best) drivers' cars, and few other cars can carry that title even today. But I think anyone who describes a stock OHC's handling as scalpel sharp is either misleading himself and others, or is grossly ignorant of how good a car can be around corners. That said, there are better threads in this forum to grind your axe if you don't like the car. Apologies if your post did not contain anything inflammatory, I'm just going by my presumption since your post was edited.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:50   #95
Senior - BHPian

This car will always hold a special place in my heart.
My Zen was another car, which I can't forget it for ever.

OHC is one of the car which has got a perfect shape for a sedan.
Revv happy, Very reliable, amazing mileage, Fantastic looks, mod friendly etc.
Only drawback, coz of lower seating, ingress & egress is difficult for elder persons.
Till date i havent found anyone cursing an OHC.

Sad thing is that- It's time for me to upgrade to a Diesel car
Attached Thumbnails
The City never sleeps-dsc00114.jpg  

The City never sleeps-sushruth-071.jpg  

The City never sleeps-img_1207.jpg  

The City never sleeps-img_0763.jpg  

Old 16th December 2009, 13:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

Wow, the sheer number of City owners here is really impressive. That's testament to what a great car it is.
Old 16th December 2009, 14:54   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Wow, the sheer number of City owners here is really impressive. That's testament to what a great car it is.
Yup, this sure was a popular sedan and it still looks super.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:52   #98

Great writeup and quotes on the ownership experience.

Reminds me of my good'ol days where I fell in love with it when drove it for the first time in 1998 and since then always wanted to own one and the dream came true in 2001 when got my very own 1.5 EXI.

Had a lots of memorable moments with that car and with a heavy heart had to let it go in 2006 with almost 96K on the ODO.

Many a times regretted my decision to part with it and this thread has brought all the old memories back and really makes me rethink of owning one again.

Cheers to OHC!!!
Old 17th December 2009, 12:00   #99
BHPian

One great tribute to one of the best automobiles to blaze the Indian roads, i always dreamt of owning the OHC specially the Inza Red color. I finally got to lay my hands on one 5 yrs back, it was a Y2K version and was in immaculate shape with just 35k on the odo.

Since then until now @ 140k its just pure pleasure and its really been an " Neighbours envy, Owners pride" for me. It still makes some heads turn.

Just a picture of my ride, my pride
Attached Thumbnails
The City never sleeps-ohc-spotted-dna1.jpg  

Old 17th December 2009, 12:26   #100
Senior - BHPian

Some snaps of my car when it was just a few months old.
Attached Thumbnails
The City never sleeps-f1060004.jpg  

The City never sleeps-f1060030.jpg  

The City never sleeps-f1060007.jpg  

The City never sleeps-f1060003.jpg  

The City never sleeps-f1060006.jpg  

The City never sleeps-vtec-garage-small.jpg  

Old 17th December 2009, 13:33   #101
BHPian

Honda City Engines

<Mods, please move this to an appropriate place if this does not belong here. >

i have always been fascinated by the Honda City, have heard a lot about the OHC. Still dream of owning one, one of these days. I need one clarification however...

AFAIK, there have been 4 models of Honda City in India so far starting from OHC to the latest one. (Correct me if I am wrong). How different are the engines in these 4 models?
Old 17th December 2009, 13:44   #102
Team-BHP Support

Great write up guys!

IMO..

The City isn't just a car, it's a yard stick! It was, it is and it always will be!
Old 17th December 2009, 18:53   #103
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
AFAIK, there have been 4 models of Honda City in India so far starting from OHC to the latest one. (Correct me if I am wrong). How different are the engines in these 4 models?
Three different generations. Many people thing that the Y2000 onward OHCs were entirely new cars. They weren't. Merely a face-lifted slightly improved version of the Gen I

OHC (Being discussed here) sold with three engine options : A 1.3L 90 BHP unit, 1.5L 100 BHP and the favorite : OHC Vtec 1.5L with 106 BHP

NHC (weird looking Honda City) : 1.5 fuel efficient 77 BHP engine. A Vtec (with rear disc brakes) was added later

ANHC : Currently sold Honda City. 1.5 L with 118 BHP.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:55   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Three different generations. Many people thing that the Y2000 onward OHCs were entirely new cars. They weren't. Merely a face-lifted slightly improved version of the Gen I

OHC (Being discussed here) sold with three engine options : A 1.3L 90 BHP unit, 1.5L 100 BHP and the favorite : OHC Vtec 1.5L with 106 BHP

NHC (weird looking Honda City) : 1.5 fuel efficient 77 BHP engine. A Vtec (with rear disc brakes) was added later

Thanks for the info GTO. So, would you say that going purely by the engine specs, the ANHC has the best engine? But, my impression and the passion of the many in this topic indicates that the OHC Engine were the most loved ones! Does the Engine in the ANHC lack something that was felt in the OHC?
Old 17th December 2009, 19:59   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Also a minor facelift variant released was the (less wierd looking NHC) City ZX with a slightly less stubby nose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks