Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 20:10   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Thanks for the info GTO. So, would you say that going purely by the engine specs, the ANHC has the best engine? But, my impression and the passion of the many in this topic indicates that the OHC Engine were the most loved ones! Does the Engine in the ANHC lack something that was felt in the OHC?
The OHC was a featherweight, weighing in at only 986KG (I believe that's the exact figure). The ANHC weight quite a bit more at 1100KGs. The engine in the OHC was also more of an enthusiast's motor than the L15A in the ANHC.

It is also a much simpler car. Much more... RAW. Newer cars dampen a lot of the driving pleasure with layers upon layers of noise insulation and safety.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 17th December 2009 at 20:17.
Old 17th December 2009, 22:37   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The OHC was a featherweight, weighing in at only 986KG (I believe that's the exact figure). The ANHC weight quite a bit more at 1100KGs. The engine in the OHC was also more of an enthusiast's motor than the L15A in the ANHC.

It is also a much simpler car. Much more... RAW. Newer cars dampen a lot of the driving pleasure with layers upon layers of noise insulation and safety.
Thanks ImmortalZ... now that makes sense... now I see why the OHC is such a big STAR!
Old 18th December 2009, 01:26   #108
Senior - BHPian

If you look at just the engine, the ANHC has the best one so far. It produces more power from the same engine capacity, has a higher torque figure and more fuel economical too.

But due to its weight, it just doesn't feel as good as it should have been. Also the higher rpm range of the OHC VTEC makes it more fun to drive on the limit. 7,100 may just be 3,000 more than 6,800, but its still 7,100!!!!

Shan2nu
Old 18th December 2009, 11:16   #109
BHPian

Proud owner of a black 2003 model (1.5Exi) got it for 8.4 lakhs on road . Everytime I drive , it still brings a smile on my face . An amazing car with a fantastic engine . Ive done 60K so far and still miles to go .
Old 18th December 2009, 16:38   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
If you look at just the engine, the ANHC has the best one so far. It produces more power from the same engine capacity, has a higher torque figure and more fuel economical too.

But due to its weight, it just doesn't feel as good as it should have been. Also the higher rpm range of the OHC VTEC makes it more fun to drive on the limit. 7,100 may just be 3,000 more than 6,800, but its still 7,100!!!!

Shan2nu
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I feel the steering is too lite in the NHC and ANHC and doesn't give you enough confidence and comfort as compared to the OHC.
Old 18th December 2009, 18:52   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCarz View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I feel the steering is too lite in the NHC and ANHC and doesn't give you enough confidence and comfort as compared to the OHC.
Yes, you are absolutely spot on!

The OHC has one of the most balanced steering inputs that you could ask for. It is light at low speeds and firms up at the speeds increases. It has a Hydraulic powered steering system compared to the NHC and the ANHC which have the electric version. This is the reason their steering inputs are like that of a zombie.

It is also the reason apart from the profile & flimsy brakes on the NHC that I personally refer to the car as 'sabundani' / 'Soapdish'. Bought the NHC on launch only to sell it within an year as it felt dead compared to my OHC which luckily I had not sold.

In my OHC I have held speeds in excess of 110 kmph on the khandala ghats including the tight left hand hair pin which comes after the very long staright and has the police/crane shed on its left as it ends. Just the feedback from the steering, grip from the Michelin pilot precedas, slot into the correct gear, provide the right amount of caress from the right foot, your heart in your throat & absolutely not touching the brakes, OH those were the days grinning from ear to ear and others around you (sometimes in better vehicles)envious like hell and waiting for you to crash, smash and topple over which of course one never did.

Oh, by the way this is climbing up! I do not want to get started on the antics while on the way down, they would be enough to have me barred from the forum
Old 19th December 2009, 02:28   #112
Senior - BHPian

For some reason, I still find the OHC better looking than the NHC and the ANHC. It looks like a proper sedan. The NHC and ANHC look like as if they are missing something.
Old 19th December 2009, 12:25   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the info GTO. So, would you say that going purely by the engine specs, the ANHC has the best engine? But, my impression and the passion of the many in this topic indicates that the OHC Engine were the most loved ones! Does the Engine in the ANHC lack something that was felt in the OHC?
No ways! The OHC vtec engine is way more crisp, revv-happy and smooth at the redline. The ANHC's unit is not that happy to meet the revv limiter.
Old 19th December 2009, 13:16   #114
Senior - BHPian

Just out of curiosity, how was the NHC Vtecs engine as compared to OHCs engine? Was it as rev-happy as the OHC?
Old 19th December 2009, 13:24   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Just out of curiosity, how was the NHC Vtecs engine as compared to OHCs engine? Was it as rev-happy as the OHC?
Nothing was and is as rev happy as the OHC. The NHC wasn't much of a belter. The ANHC is quite a stonker with 118 horsepower, but the OCH is still a more rev happy beast!
Old 19th December 2009, 15:22   #116
BHPian

I love this thread for reasons known to some

Our OHC was bought in April 1998 - a 1.5 EXi variant in Silver. Since everything has already been discussed, i'll conclude by saying that I absolutely love this car and have not been able to sell this 11 year old with 130k on clock.

The City never sleeps-dsc00612-large.jpg
Old 23rd January 2010, 08:12   #117
BHPian

The build of this car is such that it dosent seem like a discontinued model. I have only a had full of them in my town but every one of us OHC people make sure that our cars look better than us.
Recently at a shopping stop, there were 5 OHC 2 type 1s, 2 type 2s (one was mine) and one Type 2 vtec. drool drool.
All cars looked like they were bought 2-3 years back.. we all met and spoke about the Legend we posses. The Vtec was envied the most.
we had a non bhp meet lol. One gentleman was 71 and his car had a shine that made me blush.
My only regret, its was evening and couldn't take a pic on my camera phone. (they may have thought I was nuts too)

The OHC a great car.
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:33   #118
BHPian

I was wondering if I could visit the Honda Website back in time in 2002 to check out the specs etc for my Vtec, and guess what I could do that. Check out Internet Archive: Wayback Machine
and enter www.hondacarindia.com in the "Enter Web Address" Field. You can then choose the month year you want to see the site for. The link for OHC Vtec in 2002 is Experience the Honda City :: The VTEC Revolution

You can download Vtec screensavers/wallpapers , check the spec etc here.
Old 8th June 2010, 23:48   #119
r8d
BHPian

bought a beautiful 2003 vtec second hand last year....painted it midnight blue, changed the wheels, put in black alloys, changed the upholstery,tints, lights....and i love her most fun thing to do...completely clears my head.
definitely one of my all time favourite cars
Old 9th June 2010, 16:13   #120
r8d
BHPian

my v-tec

2003 vtec midnight blue.
76000kms and still going
Attached Thumbnails
The City never sleeps-img00234201006091434.jpg  

The City never sleeps-img00232201006091433.jpg  

The City never sleeps-img00236201006091457.jpg  

Most Viewed