Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 14:02   #61
BHPian

No offence to all the OHC lovers here (I like the car too, in fact I prefer it to all the other HCs sold in India) but the car I used to lust after at that time was the Lancer SFXi, in yellow. And frankly, IMHO, it is one of the best looking cars ever launched in India. Yes, it could have done with a lot more power
Old 10th December 2009, 14:08   #62
BHPian

Regarding pricing, one factor not to be overlooked is - Economies of scale. The production and sales have increased over the years. Excise cuts over the years also might have helped.

For a comparison - In 1986 M800 sold for ~ 76,000/-. During '90s it rose to more than 2.5 lacs and now sells for ~ 2 lacs.
Old 10th December 2009, 14:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
For a comparison - In 1986 M800 sold for ~ 76,000/-. During '90s it rose to more than 2.5 lacs and now sells for ~ 2 lacs.
We are talking about companies who bring in new models at regular intervals and replace ancient stuff. If given a chance Maruti will have M800 even in 2050. No need to spend any money on R&D

But compare that to Alto and A star, who are essentially same line of cars.
Old 10th December 2009, 18:41   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
@Basil
Was that 1.3 99OHC?
We used to get 17kmpl in highways with occasional spirited driving.
Even when the car was 7 years old and +100,000/- run, with 4 adults, upsized wheels and high spirited 120kmhr drive through golden quadrilateral, she returned 17kmpl.
My Alto returns only 19kmpl........
Yes it was. The performance of the machine was too good, considering the age and the kilometers run.
Old 10th December 2009, 23:39   #65
BHPian

Found a couple of more pictures.
The City never sleeps-img_1369.jpg

The City never sleeps-img_1368.jpg
Old 11th December 2009, 00:47   #66
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Have owned a 1.5 since June '02 with about 62k kms on the clock now. Recently bought a new Civic too, guess which one I like to drive more ! Thats right, even for a 7yrs old car, the driving position,size,power is just perfect. My father keeps on telling me to sell off the car and get something new but I just can't; just can't let it go. I've tried to convince myself about how a newer car would be nicer, no headaches about getting service from which garage and such but its just futile. Yes, the car is spartan, has a lousy suspension but man you sit in that seat and start driving and you don't give a damn about climate control or how antiquated that dashboard looks, its just that super smoooooth silky engine...ohhhh mannn.

Vcash,
I think our cars were bought around the same time, just while i was finalising the car, the dealership manager told me in 2 days that honda was introducing this LE model for 10k more; didn't want a black car at that point, so got a silver car. I too decked up my car w/ honda original fog lamps, spoiler, alloy wheels at the dealership itself; retrospectively thinking, what a monumental waste of money but oh well, one learns..hehe

Last edited by RJK : 11th December 2009 at 00:50. Reason: Added content
Old 11th December 2009, 07:41   #67
BHPian

Is it true that very first few hundred cars that were launched were "Made in Japan"? (same as M800)
Old 11th December 2009, 22:54   #68
BHPian

Hey, lovely to see the tribute posted here, , i waited and looked around for many years for a low mileage / well kept VTEC , and finally found one with 36K on the odo, sold my practical diesel very well kept Indigo and bought it, in the process of refurbishing the VTEC slightly, every time it hits 4K RPM, its music. There are very few cult cars in this country , the OHC VTEC is definetely one of them, as said in this thread, you tend to forget the old fashioned dash, the low seating, difficult ingress...but sometimes, you gotto go with the flow, its one life after all, and that lambo aint happenning , not in the near future ..cheers - VTEC on !!
Old 12th December 2009, 00:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
ELECTRICITY!!!

April 1998.
A star is born.
A car that promises to become every enthusiast's dream come true.
A car that Indian enthusiasts wanted but was never given, until now.
A car that chewed all the other available Indian cars and spat out of its exhaust.

All that DNA, carried forward into an affordable made-for-Asia 3 box. And made hyper waves in the Indian car market.

1.3 EXI

one for every enthusiast, and one for every car lover who wants a "car with a soul".

What in the God's name inspired you to start this thread. I was just beginning to rid myself of the withdrawl pangs after having sold my February 1998, 1.3Exi and this thread comes along. Life is not unfair it is downright cruel. All of the pent up steam coming out below.

To get back at you, I have been creative with your mail quoted above, he he..

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
A great car is not about being a jack of all trades. For me, a car will become legendary if it is a master of one. And the City was the best driver's car by several country miles. That's why its a legend.
+ 1 Gazillion to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hmm. Looks like it's Honda retro time at tbhp.
Almost all sedans in that peer group of that time had the low-slung driving position.
Having low slung driving position is one thing and getting the geometry between the steering wheel, the seat back and the pedals is another thing. Honda city type1 & 2 were the only cars in their segment that had it spot on whether you were 5 feet nothing or 6 feet something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I remember reading the reviews of 1.5 city in the auto mags those days. It was even thrilling to read about the performance of that car. I still like OHC more than the ANHC and of course the NHC.
Another +1 Gazillion to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
A word about the City 1.5 Exi Limited Edition.

When I read about the first review of the City in Auto India in early 1998, I knew I had to have it.

Ours was the 4th City in town and boy was she the cynosure of all eyes! Owning the City was a special experience too. Every 3 months, the service folks from Honda would come down to Jamshedpur - Take all 4 cars to a private garage for the day - Service and deliver them back.

During the last 7+ years of ownership, she has been great. Whenever we have thought of upgrading to a class or two above, the decision has always go pushed because I could never find a reason to replace her or for that matter the will.

A truly special car - 50K run, in great shape inside and out, a sheer pleasure to drive, one of the least maintenance seeking cars and above all - Always brings a smile to my face every time I step on the throttle. She's not going anywhere, anytime soon.
Hey vcash, I know exactly what you are talking about. I saw the City for the first time just outside the gates of the Honda factory in Greater Noida, Early February, 1998 it was afternoon and I was driving back with my father after visting a customer a few kms up road from the Honda factory and we see this big container parked by the side of the road full of gleaming beauties. Parked our zen and walked around the container admiring the sleek lines. Before I could say anything dad says "this is what we should buy next" . I satrt hunting for the dealer and locate him. The distance from our house to dealership is 40 kms but the entire family troops down. I get into the driver seat, the sales guy next to me, Dad, Ma and kid sister in the back seat, we cannot hear what the sales guy is explaining as there is an air compressor running right next to the vehicle but as soon as we close the doors the compressor's noise fades a million miles away. I turn around there are three big smiles at the back. "We do not want to go out for the test drive" I tell the sales guy. he is shocked out of his senses thinking he has lost the sale for some unfathomable reason. we get out of the car and walk back inside. the sales guy following us wondering what has hit him. Once inside my father asks him how much booking amount he requires, I still like to think that the guy nearly swooned on realizing that we were actually sold on the car. February 22, 1998, 1.3 Exi cyclone blue(if I recall the colour name correctly) is driven home from Ring Road Honda showroom at Peera Garhi (sidindica, kindly correct the launch date it was sometimes in mid February 17th or 18th, 1998 in Chandigarh and the "official" Delhi launch was on 3rd March, 1998).

Ours was one of the first few (engine no. 239 & chasis no. 238) in the city and when the city is Delhi it can be maddening, the stares, the glares the admiring glances and the innumerable times you are asked, Kidhar se lee? kaisay lee? kitne ki padi? kitna on diya? average kitnee hai? bhagti hai kya? you enjoy it or you hate it. I lapped up every glorious moment.

We had some memorable times with that car, sadly I had to let it go in 2008, I have had a very tough time in getting over that decision of mine and now this thread has brought it all back.

Anyways as I sit here in this oddly painted room at the Ginger hotel in Bishtupur, Jamshedpur, vcash I am wondering if I could get to see your car in town. I have the afternoon free tomorrow after the morning meetings and if you are in town and read this and have some time to kill, pm me or post right here and maybe we could meet up.

I did see the car in the photos you posted and it looks WOW, just do not make the mistake that I did and keep it. they do not make them like this anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Have owned a 1.5 since June '02 with about 62k kms on the clock now. Recently bought a new Civic too, guess which one I like to drive more ! Thats right, even for a 7yrs old car, the driving position,size,power is just perfect. My father keeps on telling me to sell off the car and get something new but I just can't; just can't let it go. I've tried to convince myself about how a newer car would be nicer, no headaches about getting service from which garage and such but its just futile. Yes, the car is spartan, has a lousy suspension but man you sit in that seat and start driving and you don't give a damn about climate control or how antiquated that dashboard looks, its just that super smoooooth silky engine...ohhhh mannn.

Vcash,
I think our cars were bought around the same time, just while i was finalising the car, the dealership manager told me in 2 days that honda was introducing this LE model for 10k more; didn't want a black car at that point, so got a silver car. I too decked up my car w/ honda original fog lamps, spoiler, alloy wheels at the dealership itself; retrospectively thinking, what a monumental waste of money but oh well, one learns..hehe
Lucky guy, just keep the city and enjoy. Remember the moulds have been broken and thrown away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Is it true that very first few hundred cars that were launched were "Made in Japan"? (same as M800)
I have wondered about this too.

During my first service on March 1st '98 the cleaning guys rubbed the paint right off the boot lid edge. When I pointed this out to the service manager, he got my boot lid taken off and replaced with that of a new unsold car of the same colour. He said they did not have any of the colours in stock as yet as the cars were being painted at the Thailand factory. He was non committal regarding the rest of the car. When my maternal uncle bought his OHC type 2 some years later I somehow felt it was not put together the way ours was. Whether this was due to the fact that it was a difference between the quality at the Greater Noida assembly line and Thailand or was I simply biased, I do not know but what I do know is that both the type 1 and type 2 have always brought smiles that stretch from ear to ear to the man behind the wheel.

Last edited by Dippy : 14th December 2009 at 14:25. Reason: Editing post. Lets not get personal here . Cool it
Old 12th December 2009, 01:07   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Anyways as I sit here in this oddly painted room at the Ginger hotel in Bishtupur, Jamshedpur, vcash I am wondering if I could get to see your car in town. I have the afternoon free tomorrow after the morning meetings and if you are in town and read this and have some time to kill, pm me or post right here and maybe we could meet up.

I did see the car in the photos you posted and it looks WOW, just do not make the mistake that I did and keep it. they do not make them like this anymore.
That is quite a coincidence Khoj! Hope you are enjoying the weather in Jamshedpur. Next time, please stay at the Regent. The walls are not odly painted and the service and ambience is much better.

I am in Bombay right now, so unfortunatley I will not be able to meet up with you tomorrow. However, I will PM you my cell and you can call me tomorrow - If you are up for it, you are more than welcome to visit my home and check her out as well as the restored Benz. My driver will be around to show you the cars.

Cheers,
V
Old 12th December 2009, 01:24   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
That is quite a coincidence Khoj! Hope you are enjoying the weather in Jamshedpur. Next time, please stay at the Regent. The walls are not odly painted and the service and ambience is much better.

I am in Bombay right now, so unfortunatley I will not be able to meet up with you tomorrow. However, I will PM you my cell and you can call me tomorrow - If you are up for it, you are more than welcome to visit my home and check her out as well as the restored Benz. My driver will be around to show you the cars.

Cheers,
V
Responded to your pm and then saw your post.
Yes indeed, what with me being in your city and you in mine. thanks for the offer though it is much appreciated. Where is the Regent located, maybe I could go & have a drink there after work. First trip to the steel city so picked the familiar 'Adrak'.
Old 12th December 2009, 01:37   #72

Today was a big day for me..well automobile wise. Today I drove an OHC for the first time. I have driven exotics and luxury cars before, but there was something different here. Those Unbelievable revs....

Sadly though, it was a 1.3 and one stock. MAybe I need to get my hands on a modded VTEC soon.
Old 12th December 2009, 03:31   #73

Amazin writeup Sid !!!! it was a dream come true when i bought one, well " The Power of Dreams" will never let anybody down... Cheerzzz!!!!!!!!
Old 12th December 2009, 10:58   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
As said above please go start another thread on your lovely lancer that was beaten black and blue every time it tried to catch up with the OHC.

You love your lallu lancers and bulky astras, so go start 'I love the bulky lallu' thread and have fun with it. Do not try to take away the essence of this one.
Khoj, i think you need to calm down a bit.

Just as you love the OHC, the others who have commented are also entitled to their affections. While this is a tribute to the OHC, it also takes you back to a period where its natural that you also consider the other available options for consumers at that point of time. I dont see the harm in that.
Old 12th December 2009, 11:23   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

we bought the city in 1998. I was only 13 but was well versed with driving by then. This car gave me the true taste of what power meant, I had never tasted BHP before this! Left half an hour early for school that day, I used to only drive within my building's large enough compound back then. The minute i set foot on the padle I knew I had to take this one on the road to get a real feel of it. Took one round of bandstand with my driver sitting besides me, the road was empty and i rippppped (obviously i had no concept of break-in back then ) It was scary ! This might sound cliche but that also did make me realize with power comes responsibility and need for control. Which i did not have so decided to hand the car back to the driver. I was smitten ! As i grew older I began to drive it a little more once in a while. We already had an Astra but this car was a maniac in comparison, faaaaaaar more fun to drive albeit very light.
The car was passed on from my uncle to our manager over the past 11 years and has driven over 1.5 lakh kms without a fuss. Few months ago we decided to get rid of it, was offered 1.5 lakh rupees for it. The price was not all that bad but it wasn't the money, my heart just did not want to let the car go. So I decided to gift it to one our oldest sales employees as a goodwill gesture. It was more like a gift to myself to keep the car within my accessible means

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks