Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 18:20   #106
BHPian

Great Thread Sidindica. I am one of those lucky guys whose family doesn't know much about cars and left the decision to me to select the car (Of course neither do I). And I was more inclined towards Swift Vdi as I was more inclined towards diesel as I had lots of travel plans and as such palio wasn't much in contention. Then Palio MJD was launched and there was no problem in deciding what to buy. Now with 1 year under its hood (Palio SDX Carbon black) , it has already clocked 35k kms and I enjoyed every moment. And I don't even have ICE setup. Such is the pleasure in driving.
Old 11th February 2010, 19:14   #107

@ Aravindpn
Thank you for the valuable advice on repainting of the car.
The problem is, getting a 1.2NV /Sports in a good condition with <50k on the odo is a really long list of criteria to be able to get a car in bangalore.
hence was considering repainting a silver or some other lighter colored car (that is if i get one).
Old 18th February 2010, 18:27   #108
Senior - BHPian

Its official. The palio will not be upgraded to meet Euro 4 norms, also it is mentioned on many Indian automobile related websites.

Though it will be continued to be sold in non Euro 4 cities, is it the end of the road for the palio?
Old 18th February 2010, 18:34   #109
Senior - BHPian

they should bring in the 1.8R.

@ Sid - in that case one can buy & register the car in Non-Euro4 city and drive it at home (Euro 4) right? But will the production be stopped?
Old 18th February 2010, 18:42   #110
BHPian

It's easier to get the spares of the Palio than the Palio Stile and I guess Fiat-Tata does not want to be a nanny for a product they make no money on.

Better if the Palio is laid to rest in its current form, because to build something new, sometimes we have to raze it to the ground and build afresh.
Old 18th February 2010, 18:44   #111
BHPian

Wasn't the Fiat GP brought in to replace the Palio? I mean the Palio is a great car, but is now showing its age. I guess they are better off discontinuing the car to reduce costs and maximize their efficiency on concentrating on the current line up.
Old 19th February 2010, 09:40   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Its official. The palio will not be upgraded to meet Euro 4 norms, also it is mentioned on many Indian automobile related websites.

Though it will be continued to be sold in non Euro 4 cities, is it the end of the road for the palio?
This is applicable only to petrol engines (the 1.1 and the 1.6), right? I had read somewhere that the MJD is already Bharat IV compliant. Is that correct?
Old 19th February 2010, 16:35   #113
Senior - BHPian

Sad , imo the 1.6 was one of the best engines around this side of 10 lacs. Any idea when the Euro4 standards will be enforced?
Old 19th February 2010, 17:52   #114
Senior - BHPian

E4 from April 2010 onwards if i am not wrong.

offtopic:
@ Bottle - did you receive the mail for FIAT first service camp?
Old 20th February 2010, 13:08   #115
Senior - BHPian

Not sure, am out of town so it might have gone home
Old 1st March 2010, 15:58   #116
Senior - BHPian

Saturday had gone to green tracks service station in Bangalore for some quick fix of my cousins Palio brakes.
there were so many Palios in all Avatars 1.9D,1.6,1.2,1.3 MJD and last but not least the S10. There was a adventure too. i was so happy to see these marvelous beauties together.

Also, many times i was just getting in and out of my cousins Palio throughout the day just to check out the "THUD" for door closing.

I just love those "THUD"s compared to "PICHIK" that I get to see in other 1.2L cars

EIDT: happy to see that my 500th post is about a THUD of Palio

Last edited by recshenoy : 1st March 2010 at 16:00.
Old 1st March 2010, 22:07   #117
BHPian

Well i`m a little sad to see the Palio go. I was a fan of the Palio sport, though didn`t agree with the yellow colour. Well once again a great product doesn`t do as well as it should have. Feel a tinge of sadness. Even the Uno which had the potential to change the indian market dynamics at the time of launch couldn`t take off due to the ""premier" service offered. Not good!!!
Old 24th March 2010, 20:51   #118
BANNED

A very nice trip down memory lane sidnindica. That was an amazing recollection. I feel the Palio/Punto is still the hatch to beat in terms of combined performance-presence-price factor in the market today. Why is Fiat company .. well, it's better left unsaid.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:20   #119
BHPian

I remember when i was going to pick up a Palio, i had people virtually screaming at me, asking me not to go for it.

One nut case even tried to persuade against the buy tellin me that Fiat had gone bust and have shut down their factory.

The so called "experts" or second hand market "gurus" said that i was making the worst decision of my life.

Went ahead and picked up a used '02 Palio 1.2 ELX from my friend.

Had a '01 Zen Before this and i must confess, the Palio is the best replacement i could get.

If the Zen was nimble, the Palio is nimbler and more powerful.

Solid body , great handling, great breaks and good low slung seating position.

Within a month of purchasing the car, the stock horns died out and i get a couple of squeaks here and there.

But im least bothered.

The cars got personality and charisma(enough to bowl me over).

Till now i havent driven a hatch in India(minus the Punto,Figo and Polo) which made the drive extra special. There is the Swift obviously, but i never found it superior to the Palio.

Like every cloud has a silver lining, i would say its good the ol gal died out soon.

Else we wouldnt have got a thread entirely for her remembrance and we would have got on with the business of city/highway driving without any qualms or complaints.

With reference to her sister car comp Alfa Romeo, i would say "U cant be a true Indina petrolhead until u’ve owned a Fiat Palio"....

Cherrs!

I would also like to know if my speedo, trip has to be recalibrated since i have an '02 model.
Old 26th May 2010, 23:39   #120
Senior - BHPian

I just terribly miss this car, the 1.6 GTX in classic shape, terribly.
Attached Thumbnails
Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-news_2002_10_10.jpg  

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-news_2002_10_11.jpg  

Attached Images

sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks