Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 20:27   #46
BHPian

Quote:
feature which I really appreciate in my Vista is a seat belt warning buzzer.
This feature is available in ANHC.

I feel this feature has to be extended to four or rather 5 seat belts in the car, when full. But it left me wondering what would happen if only the driver is in the car and how to deactivate the beeping, since the other seat belts would not be used.

Did you get me at all ?
Old 15th December 2009, 20:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Be involved in a crash where a seatbelt saves you from injury and have a loved one suffer injuries as a result of not wearing a seatbelt.
Lol. How about a way we can convince them to wear seatbelts without risking their life?
Old 15th December 2009, 20:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

I feel uncomfortable driving without seat belt, even for short drives. I insist person sitting in co-driver's seat to wear seat belt. Some of my friends laughed at me, but I used to tell them to wear it or get down.

But I do not have solution for your problem, may be bit sentimental talk may work :-))
Old 15th December 2009, 21:55   #49
BHPian

I have heard many a folks say that seatbelts are not required while travelling in city/town
Once during driving down at around 40 kmph , the car in front of me braked and I followed suit. I hear a screeching noise and I lookup the rear-view mirror to see a M800 just stopped. In the car a lady passenger ( pretty well built, i should say ), was in the windscreen!!!. We were just imagining what if there was some kids in the lap of lady ( which we see more than often ).
Old 15th December 2009, 23:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

/off topic

The i20 has an irritating seatbelt buzzer for front 2 passengers. The passenger seat has a weight sensor and the buzzer gets armed the moment the passenger sits.

The dashboard also shows the status of the three rear belts = buckled/unbuckled. It however does not beep if the rear passengers are not buckled.

Great passive safety features.
Old 15th December 2009, 23:29   #51

Why parents, I am not able to convince my wife to wear the seat belts all time.

By the way, it really hurts me when driving with seat belts on, i think its my collar bone and my drive is Swift. None of my friends who drive with seat belts seem to have any trouble. Any tips to reduce this pain?.
Old 16th December 2009, 00:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

I did not wear the seat belt till my 61st age.But after the purchase of My RITZ. I am regular in wearing SB. The blinking of the red signal on the odo irritates me. So now it became a habit and wear.
Old 16th December 2009, 01:01   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Try doing some hard braking when such reluctant people are around so that they get used to the safety and comfort of the seat belt!
Exactly! I did the same with my cousin, of course, after making her wear the seatbelts. She did not move with the seatbelts on and she understood how safe they are.
Old 16th December 2009, 01:30   #54
BHPian

I tell people that it is safe and also tell them that it will reduce fatigue on long drives. My family has agreed to it. Now they wear seat belts whenever they get in (of course only the front passengers). It is a very slow process. We have to be patient.

I had a relative who used to wear seat belts only when she enters highways, that too, not because she cared for safety, but because she did not want to pay the fine. Once when I was with her in the car, she saw a few cops right after a turn. She panicked and got hold of the belt while driving. The car hit a biker by then. Thank God she drives pretty slow. But after that, she wears the seat belts.
Old 16th December 2009, 09:08   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegdegg View Post
Why parents, I am not able to convince my wife to wear the seat belts all time.
The best way of doing it to take someone who doesnt agree to wear it on a winding drive with and without the belt. They will feel comfortable with the belt as it holds the person in place and will most likely agree to it. You could also demonstrate the effect of panic braking and explain.
Quote:
By the way, it really hurts me when driving with seat belts on, i think its my collar bone and my drive is Swift. None of my friends who drive with seat belts seem to have any trouble. Any tips to reduce this pain?.
There are soft pads available in the market which cover the seat belt so that it doesnt chaff your neck/shoulder area and keeps you comfortable as well. Also if the belt tensioner is too tight, the belt will hurt. You might consider comparing yours with a different Swift.

OT: When Hariya came home, many people told me that the inbuilt VMS is an irritant. But the audible seat belt warning which repeats itself twice during a drive if the belts are not worn is indeed a blessing.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:44   #56
BHPian

Making people wear seat belts is a tough task and is irritating.

I have confined my neighbor's kid (who used to spend a lot of time with me) and even my kid (right from her birth) & wife to the back seats. That was the first step. Now, the kids don't come into the front seat. So much so that my 2.5 yr old kid goes to the back seat even if I make her sit at the front.

My wife slowly learnt to use the seat belts and when doesn't I send her to the back seat. When she knows the drive is longer than 20-30 minutes she wears the seat belt so that she can take a nap happily (a trick I have taught her when she used to complain about jerks in back seat). Now even my in-laws wear seat belt when I'm in the car.

My father remained a tough nut. He is well built and tall. I started making him seat at the back since he dislikes wearing seat belt. Back seats are uncomfortable for him and now a days he is not resisting the seat belt when I tell him to buckle up. Hope he'll soon start buckling up on his own.

Now that I have a 2001 esteem instead of my new Swift, I miss the seat belts in rear seats. So do my wife and her mom (for taking a nap!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
I have heard many a folks say that seatbelts are not required while travelling in city/town
Once during driving down at around 40 kmph , the car in front of me braked and I followed suit. I hear a screeching noise and I lookup the rear-view mirror to see a M800 just stopped. In the car a lady passenger ( pretty well built, i should say ), was in the windscreen!!!. We were just imagining what if there was some kids in the lap of lady ( which we see more than often ).
Have been telling this to so many people without success. The ladies don;t want to wear seat belts and also want to sit in front seats with infants in their lap. Upon trying time and again I managed to get one my friend's wife and kid to the back seats. And my wife's cousin to wear the seat belt at least when teh kid is in her lap. Not satisfied though.

Quote:
I use a softpad on the seat belt. That makes me a little more comfortable when I have to drive longer or to keep moving in the seat to reach for various things while seated in the car. I saw such a thing being sold in some car accessory shops and even in a Honda showroom.
Old 16th December 2009, 13:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While there are soft pads and so on, seatbelts shouldn't hurt you. Sit in another Swift and see if the seatbelts on that car hurt you too. If so, then get yourself checked by a doc. If not, replace the belts on your car. If a seatbelt hurts you just when you wear it, it'll snap your collarbone in a real accident, soft pads or otherwise.
Old 16th December 2009, 13:58   #58
BHPian

Though I used to wear seat belts for quite a long time, only last year I realized the actual benefit of it and I narrate this to my dear and near ones to educate them.

I was driving in US and a signal just ahead of me on the way just turned to Yellow from Green before changing to Red. For a split second I was confused whether to cross the signal or to stop, but decided for a complete halt from 50 mph. A guy behind me in a SUV (GMC type) at around same speed came and hit my car on the rear. Blow was good enough to move my car few meters ahead which was already halted. I still vividly remember how the seat belt restrained me from hitting on the steering wheel. I clearly felt it is pulling me back to the seat. I wouldn't have been here (or may here with few teeths minus or broken bones) if I hadn't wear those tiny but powerful safety device.

Have a safe drive !!
Old 16th December 2009, 14:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread. (why can't i think of such topics!!!)

I'm happy to say, that all the people whom I've helped to learn driving or gave pointers to, wear seat belts.

Maybe I'm blessed with good friends or they heed the voice of a senior when it comes to driving. All the points put forth here are the same arguments that I have used.(safety, life or death, PRS - Primary Restraint System, fines...) I don't think there's anything more that can be added.

On the sad side, my dad who is this extremely cautious driver, doesn't want to wear one. He keeps telling me not to go above 60 on the highways and to not overtake and all that... but he won't wear one. So I've told him to keep his advice to himself and only if he wears seatbelts regularly is he to give me any sort of advice!!!

The only other thing that I do is, if anyone has to travel with me, they have to buckle up. Otherwise I don't take them. I announce it the day someone expresses interest in coming with me.
Them: "Hey Sents.. we are coming with you till Bangalore".
Me: "Great!! you are welcome, but you got to buckle up!!"
Them: "Hmm!! I'll confirm today evening"... and in the evening "i've made my own plans.. we'll come by train"
Me: "awesome, safer than coming with me"

The best excuse I've heard is "the seat belt presses my bladder too much, I'll feel like going to the loo often" !!
Old 16th December 2009, 14:49   #60
BHPian

Few videos from youtube that show the importance of the seat belt even when sitting at the rear seat. May be seen by many, just a reminder. Its a little graphic in nature, but guess it helps to drive the topic into those heads. Also to help thoise lazy enough to not search for them.

This one shows the need for seat belt even if the car is equipped with airbags.

This one shows you the importance of passive reminders like the seat belt not fastened beep.

There are loads more on youtube, watch them and understand the need and drive safe.

As a post script, these are the words from a paramedic, this was written as a comment to one of the above videos

"I'm a Paramedic w/ 26 years experience. A few observations:
1. I've seen people walk away from deadly crashes because of their seatbelt/airbags.
2. I've seen people die horrific deaths in crashes.
3. Some crashes are unsurvivable no matter what. Usually because some idiot is driving, like an idiot! Way over the speed limit, unrestrained, or trying some maneuver from the movies.
4. Modern cars are designed to absorb the impact, that's why they look so bad crashed.
5. No seatbelt = Job security! "

Mods: Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 16th December 2009 at 14:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks