Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 14:51   #91
Team-BHP Support

In my Altis the seat belt buzzer works like a charm for the front passenger. Not a single person can stand the buzzer and they end up wearing the belt even for half a km drive.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:35   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Want to make people 'want to' wear seat belts?

Simple.

Take some of your buddies who detest the thought of wearing a seat belt and drive them along. Go to an empty stretch of road where there aren't any vehicles around (especially behind you) explain to them the necessity of a seat belt. At this point, they'd laugh or pass it off by giving the usual excuses such as "You don't need to wear seat-belts unless you're doing 80+ or high-speeds"

After this, do a constant speed of 20-30, and then brake really really hard! That should do the trick I reckon!

P.S. I've never driven without buckling up and I speak for the rest of my family members as well!
Actually, what you get is that you are a bad driver and a whack to your head. Questions like why did you not anticipate this? You should not brake suddenly, etc. Its even worse when the road is empty.

Heck, I get that everytime, I have to brake suddenly, seatbelt or not.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
Actually, what you get is that you are a bad driver and a whack to your head. Questions like why did you not anticipate this? You should not brake suddenly, etc. Its even worse when the road is empty.

Heck, I get that everytime, I have to brake suddenly, seatbelt or not.
Indeed, you're right. Its not easy to convince elders.

Just a thought, is it possible to install aftermarket seatbelt buzzers? That appears to be the most effective solution (though again, its not wanting to wear seatbelts) to the problem.
Old 31st December 2009, 15:34   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Indeed, you're right. Its not easy to convince elders.

Just a thought, is it possible to install aftermarket seatbelt buzzers? That appears to be the most effective solution (though again, its not wanting to wear seatbelts) to the problem.
You think?? Try the back benchers.

It does not help that even the A.S.S. actually put the SB anchors for the rear passengers into the boot. The other reason given by people in the rear seats is that the SB anchors poke into their rear ends and hence are better off in the boot
Old 1st January 2010, 12:00   #95
BHPian

My car has a seatbelt warning system and i just fasten it from behind to stop the thing from going off.... Is it really required inside the city? I dont think so.
Old 1st January 2010, 12:06   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedguy View Post
My car has a seatbelt warning system and i just fasten it from behind to stop the thing from going off.... Is it really required inside the city? I dont think so.
Actually it is. A 30 kph impact is surprisingly dangerous and can seriously injure you. Besides, if you go through the bother of putting it behind you, you might as well put it on properly.
Old 1st January 2010, 16:31   #97
BHPian

How about statutory warning with pictorial description of broken skulls in accidents (aka Cigarette Packets with lung diseases).

On a serious note, I quite appreciate the buzzer in Jetta which goes off even if co-passenger is not wearing seat belt. Additionally, you can program the minimum speed before it goes off. Quite helpful when you take the belt off while trying to park the vehicle.
Old 1st January 2010, 17:10   #98
Senior - BHPian

let the car dont start till all the seat belts have been secured!
Old 1st January 2010, 17:53   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
How about statutory warning with pictorial description of broken skulls in accidents (aka Cigarette Packets with lung diseases).

On a serious note, I quite appreciate the buzzer in Jetta which goes off even if co-passenger is not wearing seat belt. Additionally, you can program the minimum speed before it goes off. Quite helpful when you take the belt off while trying to park the vehicle.
Whilst it's a good idea, people will just say, "this won't happen to me city driving". Even here they say it, and this is supposed to be a forum of people well informed about cars, which should include the risks of driving them.

Why do you need to take your belt off when parking? Due to my UK background, putting the belt on is practically synonymous with getting into the car and it doesn't occur to me to take it off until I get out again. Reaching for something on the back seat is about the only reason it gets taken off

--- with the vehicle stopped, of course!
Old 1st January 2010, 18:10   #100
Senior - BHPian

My brother doesn't like wearing seat belts!

So I made him take a ride with me in my i20
Since i20 engages 'seatbelt not fastened alarms' after the car exceeds 20kph, it really started to irritate my brother who eventually had to give in and wear the seatbelt!

I found that its a really useful feature

Last edited by sohail99 : 1st January 2010 at 18:12.
Old 1st January 2010, 18:11   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your first slow speed accident will teach you. Or rather, your chest with the broken bones from the impact of the steering wheel and/or the cracked skull from the windscreen will make sure you never forget it. If you survive, that is.

Sorry to be morbid, but this whole belief that slow speeds don't kill is bull. Try hitting your brakes with all your might while at 30KMPH. Better yet, sit in the passenger seat and have someone else do it with no warning. You'll understand.
Old 1st January 2010, 18:27   #102
BHPian

Police.

At least in Kerala, that is a good tactic of making people wear seat belts. Same effect as the boogeyman has on kids refusing to eat their meals.
Old 1st January 2010, 18:47   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggest that experiment at 10, or even 5 kmph.

It was a bump at barely more than walking speed (just moving off) that made me take seat belts seriously
Old 1st January 2010, 20:39   #104
Senior - BHPian

Can we have a list of cars with seatbelt buzzers? From what I gather, we have the following:

1) Hyundai i20
2) VW Jetta
3) Toyota Corolla Altis

For many, the next car they buy could be from this list if they are worried about friends and family not wearing their seatbelts. I certainly wouldn't mind sacrificing a few things if I know the car will ensure that the occupants are belted in. If you know of any models that have the feature, copy the original list and add on. Also, it would be useful to know if its only for the driver or for the front passenger as well
Old 1st January 2010, 21:21   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow! I can't believe you think this way! Not the right attitude at all! And fastening it first and then sitting on it is like trying to get it on with a beautiful girl without being completely ready in the trouser department!

Sorry about being explicit! But I hope you start wearing the seat-bely before learning it the hard way my friend. I, for one, wouldn't want you to learn it that way!

EDIT: @ Mclaren Rules, even the Honda Civic has it but only for the drivers seat!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks