Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2010, 00:50   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Maruti has taken a wise decision of not reducing 800 prices and taking on the Nano.
And you wait and see what the selling price of Nano is after 2 years. Already the AC version sells at 1.65 lakhs. This has been Tata’s strategy for years. Create an impression of cheap and later sell it at a higher cost, blaming the input costs for increased price.
Its still a good 50 k cheaper than the AC 800. Thats about 20% lower than a 25 year old car whose cost of development has been recovered by Suzuki 100 times over.

Quote:
I’m ready if Cherry is given a level playing field in India like given for Tatas (1000 acres land at stone age prices, taxpayers money lended at 0.6% interest) we can compare after a few years.

Till then I wish not to post again in this thread.
So do you think that in China, the government is actively trying to hot up things for the domestic companies by not providing land and capital??
China has had one of the most sheltered economies for domestic companies with tax payers money being used for large scale industrialization. Cherry has befitted with a similar patronage back home as shown to Tata in India and yet they do not have a Nano or a Manza to show for it.
Tata atleast had the courage to go ahead on its own and battle it out learning on quality and technology.
Old 20th February 2010, 03:14   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This is the most juvenile post I have read in recent memory.

People will buy a car from a friendly or neutral country. China is neither. There will be inherent animosity in their minds while considering the cars.

They wont buy the cars, any more than they will buy one made in Pakistan. Period.
Completely agreed. Most of his posts had zero value and lots of negativism, kind of typical of people not happy with life and use negative criticism as a means to an ego massage.

@Daewood - For a member of a forum like teambhp, you certainly have a closed mind, learn what constructive criticism means.

As far a Chery coming to India is concerned, let us wait and watch, if they are able to launch a car, that has quality at the important places and is great value for money; and also have a service network to back it up, the Indian consumer gains.
Old 20th February 2010, 13:08   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Completely agreed. Most of his posts had zero value and lots of negativism, kind of typical of people not happy with life and use negative criticism as a means to an ego massage.

@Daewood - For a member of a forum like teambhp, you certainly have a closed mind, learn what constructive criticism means.
A true CRITIC is one who has an unbiased opinion. Only a paid critic will offer views which pleases his master.

accepting competition from others and having the honesty to criticize oneself aren’t definitely hallmarks of a closed mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This is the most juvenile post I have read in recent memory.

People will buy a car from a friendly or neutral country. China is neither. There will be inherent animosity in their minds while considering the cars.
It’s only a small minority of people who have these kind of animosity with their neighbours.
The Thackerys of this country are indeed a minority as proved in the recent MNIK episode.

The vast majority wants to be on friendly terms. We love watching a Jetli or Jackie Chan movie, Pakistanis love watching Bollywood , we love when a Shabhaz dribbles his way to glory or when a Shoaib bowls those 160kphs, etc, etc

If as you said the people of this country have an inherent animosity they woudn’t be buying a Haier AC at 25 k or a bottom freezer refrigerator from Haier at 30K and they aren’t disposable commodities.

The new generation of today has a much broader view of all these things and their mature actions will soon pave the way for a global village where national boundaries will be blurred.
Old 20th February 2010, 19:41   #94
BHPian

Lets keep patriotism aside and just evaluate the car(s) for what it is. At the end of the day the success of the car is dependent on how good it is, not where the company is from.

IMO though Chery copy the designs from other manufacturers, quality is comparable to existing the cars in india. But here, chery will not be able to take advantage of cost benefits due to cheap labor because indian labor cost is also at a comparable price point.

This could start another round of price war and the customers would be benefited. I at least hope that is the case.

May the better car win
Old 20th February 2010, 20:46   #95
BHPian

As far as copying these designs, Cherry will have to apply brakes real fast before they can even think of setting up in India else companies like GM will erase their @$$.
As far as their product go, I do not see them any lesser than our own Maruti OMNI or even recently launched EECO. They are equally flimsy. True? Maybe not! All these are mere speculations.
But it would be wrong to write them off as they seem to know a thing or two about cheap automobiles (forget safety or quality) and Indian market is perfect match for the same. The real obstacle for them will be setting up truckload of dealerships throughout India and match MS and TM in A.S.S.

Last edited by 1-Testosterone : 20th February 2010 at 20:48.
Old 20th February 2010, 22:45   #96
Senior - BHPian

Come on guys, please stick to the topic, it was just a feasibility study, launch, if at all, can take months. Plans may after all, fizzle out.

Please do not attack any particular country or community even indirectly, it hurts a lot.

I do admit that I created 2 controversial threads but I only criticised the product, not any country/ community.

Last edited by sidindica : 20th February 2010 at 22:46.
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:34   #97
BHPian

Quote:
...We had people who fought on the british side using the same logic as yours...
I lost track of the thread topic and who was defending what in the previous pages but boy, does the quoted statement hit a very raw (national) nerve...from cars we jump to nations and their policies, don't certain things smart in the eye for decades? BTW, it's not at all incorrect or off topic to link patriotism with cars when it comes to chinese industry methinks...it stands to reason if quality is compromised for market share at cheaper prices to promote national interests globally (even at the cost of profits)...but nevertheless, let's wait for the decision on a launch, eh?
Old 25th February 2010, 02:39   #98
BHPian

Quote:
It’s only a small minority of people who have these kind of animosity with their neighbours.
Quote:
The Thackerys of this country are indeed a minority as proved in the recent MNIK episode.

The vast majority wants to be on friendly terms. We love watching a Jetli or Jackie Chan movie, Pakistanis love watching Bollywood , we love when a Shabhaz dribbles his way to glory or when a Shoaib bowls those 160kphs, etc, etc

If as you said the people of this country have an inherent animosity they woudn’t be buying a Haier AC at 25 k or a bottom freezer refrigerator from Haier at 30K and they aren’t disposable commodities.

The new generation of today has a much broader view of all these things and their mature actions will soon pave the way for a global village where national boundaries will be blurred.

SRK had a chance to select pakistani cricketers but did not. Later he says he wanted to select pakistani cricketers. He is just fooling the public.

I support the concept of global village where national boundaries will be blurred. But that can be done only in Peace not when our neighbours are exporting terrorism.

t-bhp: Sorry for going off topic. I only wanted to voice my opinion over the below statement. But I was forced to go off-topic.

Why james may, even the majority of people in T-BHP would not recommend an Indica over a Maruti or Hyundai.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th May 2011 at 15:02. Reason: Fixed quote tag.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:27   #99

Re: Indian Feasibility study by Chery Cars (China) spotted in Delhi

Hi! Guys, today(11 May 2011) spotted Chery Tiggo (CRV look alike). SUV was just ahead of me on Mathura Road - took picture at Bhagwan Das Road Traffic light. It was private Noida number. I have removed the identification part of it.

Could be -
Chery has a office in Noida (likely)
some individual or company imported it(unlikely)

what do you guy think?

roby

Here is the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Feasibility study by Chery Cars (China)-chery_tiggo.jpg  

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th May 2011 at 15:25. Reason: Corrected quote tags.
Old 11th May 2011, 16:46   #100
An1
BHPian

Re: Indian Feasibility study by Chery Cars (China)

Was driving to work like every Monday morning on 9th May 2011, when suddenly on the Punjabi Bagh flyover saw a car looking very much like 'Zen Estilo' going towards Wazirpur.. It was of Fiery Orange colour but had a strange logo with an 'A'. Could not click any pictures as it drove past in the opposite direction.

But today came across this thread.. and the logo was exactly the same that is on the Steering column of the Tiggo on the first page.

The car had a regular number plate.
Old 11th May 2011, 18:16   #101
BHPian

@An1: Probably it is CHERY J-ONE. There is one listed in first page with fiery orange color photo.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:50   #102
BHPian

Why is the entire thing so hushed up? I mean, when an OEM wants to enter a new market, you atleast get the basic info. Chery has been unnaturally secretive.

I remember Chery made plans for a JV with ICML (the parent company of Sonalika) in 2007. Is anyone aware of what happened after that? Or is this 'phase two' of the same news.
Old 13th May 2011, 15:40   #103
BHPian

Why is everything being hushed up:
My Take
Any chinese product is an obvious scare to our manufacturers here.
Who would want to bring the Cherry here? Some Indian businessman who sees mileage would have come up with this novel idea of making easy money by getting chinese cars into India.
[In the same way Chinese mobiles invaded Indian grey market, and then had to reroute via Indian manufacturer names]
Bringing parts across borders is a little easier if it were China. China buys a lot of our steel. Now, why import steel. Instead make steel sheets all the way up to cars setting up plants in India and selling stuff to India. This is indeed a lucrative business Idea.

This person might need a lot of help from the government as there will be obvious opposition from the other Car manufacturers in India. I guess, we would buy these products if they are really cheap inspite of it being Chinese.
[I could see a lot our my friends going for these Chinese mobiles for what they provided at 3000 rupees. This made Nokia and other guys offer such features at dead cheap prices didn't it?]
Scary if you are TATA or Mahindra or Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the 60's, everyone said Japanese cars are too cheap, flimsy, lack depth in engineering, are a copy of other cars and will never cut it.

In the 80's, everyone said Korean cars are too cheap, flimsy, lack depth in engineering, are a copy of other cars and will never cut it.

In the 2000's, everyone said Chinese cars are too cheap, flimsy, lack depth in engineering, are a copy of other cars and will never cut it.

See a pattern?
Japan has something about them. They always competed with the Russians and the Americans for everything. It was only time before they caught up with the rest of the world when it came to Car making.

South Korea is a different proposition. They are all about this major Giant Hyundai. (Very similar to our own Reliance or TATA). They dont build cars all by themselves. They are a global company and design cars by having parts from everywhere. You still cannot consider Hyundai as a South Korean styled/ branded car company.

Chinese are way off. The Italians might visit the China wall and paint a beautiful picture of that. Chinese would then make copies of the same and sell them. The recent episode of the Copter crash in Pakistan makes me laugh.
Old 13th May 2011, 20:38   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I see! That is quite a mouthful!

Just one query. How many people will be ready to buy a car from Pakistan under the current scenario, in your opinion?
Old 14th May 2011, 09:58   #105
BHPian

I don't think we will be buying any of their stuff here:
Check their website. It is a Joke. It looks like a final year project from students.

Check these links if you find some time:
TGDI Overview | Chery International

Their ESP website says Electronic Power steering
ESP Overview | Chery International

And this one is the best. The call this car 'Flag like shape'. What flag???
COWINFL Overview | Chery International

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks