Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Wating period is
Marketting Gimmick 42 59.15%
Shows that car is really selling like hot cakes 29 40.85%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2007, 16:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

haha reminds me when my grand dad got a limited edition gold fiat (padmini) after a 4 year waiting period and then sold it on the day it arrived to someone who was so smitten by it.

for palio there was a weeks waiting period for 1.6 that made sense since they would get the cars from rajjangaon only after getting a booking
Old 18th July 2007, 16:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Increasing capacity is not that easy as one may think. It needs serious investments in couple of hundred crores to add new machines, change assembly line layouts etc. in addition to investments it needs time to fix the problem. These two are huge inertias for a company to improve their supply.

Yes sitting now one might blame maruti for Poor planning but think of the loss they would incur if the demand was only lukewarm and they were left with thousands of finished cars in inventory?

I think Maruti has errored on a conservative side as they were much more cautious. Like all other indian companies.
Old 18th July 2007, 16:32   #18
Team-BHP Support

Question is, do these factories really run to capacity? I find that hard to believe considering the low volumes in the Indian market. Another fact could be that they do not have a single assembly line for a single model. So companies like Maruti who have a dozen models that may be built on a single line, things take a lot longer.
Old 18th July 2007, 16:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

I can understand when a company like Maruti does this as they're probably using the same assembly line for different cars.. but Premier never had that problem, they made only one car!! Their problem was factory lockouts and strikes, all thanks to the late Dr. Datta Samant. the waiting period was 8 years and one got a car, if one paid an almost 100% premium. I had mentioned somewhere that once I got a car from the dealership, at a premium without headlight and tail light assemblies and with out Wipers, ie no arm, blade and no motor. I drove it straight to opera house and got Hella H4 halogen headlights and Translight or Transcar or Trans something, aftermarket tail lights. Does anyone know who owned that company?? Dilip Chabbria... or DC as he is better known.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

This poll needs a third option genuine capacity constraint. Plant capacity is built for steady state sales of a product. New launches results in initial euphoria and usually the sales settle down after a few months. There are times when due to a genuine estimation error, a company faces capacity constraint. I personally think that due to the variety of models that Maruti has in their lineup, their are genuinely facing capacity constraint.

Does anyone have any hard numbers on the capacity of Maruti plants ? We can correlate that to the sales numbers and at least rule out the Marketing gimmick option. It is OK to create shortfall initially and act pricey but after some time it hurts company if they can't fix their supply problem. Since Maruti is managed very well, I don't think this is a Marketing gimmick.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think it is a genuine problem for maruti. They are caught in a fix right now. They are probably not sure if they want to expand their capacity seeing the sales of swift or to wait out the euphoria & then think about the future. No company would want to have a knee jerk expansion policy. I believe they are running their plants at full strength.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:20   #22
BHPian

Another way to check if it's a marketing gimmick or the car's are being picked up, is check if the dealers are giving any kind of offers on the cars. The offers would be literally absent if there is too much demand and the company cannot satisfy it in time. I think the waiting period for swift has come back due to the introduction of diesel version. They must be using the same platforms to produce this and their planning in terms of sales have been screwed up..
Old 19th July 2007, 21:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy
well its just a gimmick to create a scarcity,boost up the reputation of the product to an extent thats not worth,create a hyper hype and make a few extra bucks..but i think MUL is overdoing it with the swift and in the longer run could affect the company badly..

This is just the opposite of what U told in the other waiting period thread!

Last edited by nitrous : 19th July 2007 at 21:35.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

I remember my director always saying "Fast Eats Slow". If Maruti does not act fast, I'am afraid they will never be able to catch up as other models are getting released. I agree that they might have a genuine problem with capacity right now. But they need to cope up as soon as possible. Otherwise, they will lose out in the market.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Its always abt the will, and not much else. If Maruti wanted to make the Swift and SX4 readily available they would have done that a long time ago. They've not, and I'm sure they have reasons - none of which will make for easy listening for the car buyer.
Old 20th July 2007, 03:31   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by part organriser View Post

This is just the opposite of what U told in the other waiting period thread!
Ever heard Sarcasm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMag
Its always abt the will, and not much else.
And money, and machinery, and labour, and investment to say the least. And all these big decisions have to be backed up with financial estimates, fool proof plans on M&S and least risk factor. This holds good for all companies, not everyone can get away with making jokes all the time. Lot of lives are at stake when such big expansion plans go wrong.
Old 20th July 2007, 03:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I can understand when a company like Maruti does this as they're probably using the same assembly line for different cars.. but Premier never had that problem, they made only one car!! Their problem was factory lockouts and strikes, all thanks to the late Dr. Datta Samant. the waiting period was 8 years and one got a car, if one paid an almost 100% premium. I had mentioned somewhere that once I got a car from the dealership, at a premium without headlight and tail light assemblies and with out Wipers, ie no arm, blade and no motor. I drove it straight to opera house and got Hella H4 halogen headlights and Translight or Transcar or Trans something, aftermarket tail lights. Does anyone know who owned that company?? Dilip Chabbria... or DC as he is better known.
OT

Aftermarket taillights on a Fiat? That too by DC !! Pics pls.
Old 20th July 2007, 04:04   #28
BHPian

i dont know what the guys in maruti are doing at your places 2 - 4 months.

well get ready to be shocked a very bearded bhpain ordered the swift vdi and had a waiting period of 2 days, let me give him a call he must be having the car in his hands rite now! the lucky chap

he had a choice of two colours black and white both rare!

maruti popular trivandrum are doing a awesome job!
Old 20th July 2007, 08:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Some of the dealers may be hoarding Swift Ds. That can also be the cause of delays. In times of shortage it is human nature to Hoard.
Old 20th July 2007, 08:40   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinome View Post
i dont know what the guys in maruti are doing at your places 2 - 4 months.
well get ready to be shocked a very bearded bhpain ordered the swift vdi and had a waiting period of 2 days, let me give him a call he must be having the car in his hands rite now! the lucky chap
he had a choice of two colours black and white both rare!
maruti popular trivandrum are doing a awesome job!

Somehow, the last 8-9 years, haven't given a reason for complaint. Whether it be sales (for us and friends) or service (as described in some of my threads)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks