Welcome move- Boost in Fiat sales in India 29 85.29%
OH - Fait seems to be closing down indian operations 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2005, 09:46   #1
BHPian

TATA-Fiat Global Alliance

TATA Motors and Fiat are close to signing an alliance deal whose dxetails are awaited, according to news agencies. TATA gets to use the vast retail/dealer network of Fiat in Europe and Fiat may share Technolgy with TATA. TATA also gets to use the manufacturing facilities of Fiat in India.

Wonder what will be the outcome of this??
Old 20th September 2005, 10:00   #2
BHPian

I hope, if it just results in changing Indi*** gearboxes to fiats buttersmooth ones
Old 20th September 2005, 10:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

http://www.business-standard.com/com...t=0&leftindx=1

Here is the article on that
Old 20th September 2005, 11:21   #4
Team-BHP Support

This may hit Maruti's and plans for JTD. I guess next year Tata will phase out its IDI engine and put in fiat tech. If Tata wants to export Indica and indigo then it needs to have Euro IV compatibility in some countries and for that the current engines are not good enough. Hopefully these engines will trickle down to indian market too.
Old 20th September 2005, 12:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

WRT to India, what will happen I guess is that Tata will start using the excess facility of Fiat's plants. This will in the medium term pull FIL out of the red. What the global alliance means for competition in India however, I am not very sure. I still feel that Tata should stick to diesels with Fiat technology and let Fiat sell the Petrols. And maybe a joint approach to tackling ASS issues should also be discussed. My guess is that the Tatas and Fiat share a good relationship at the family level ... And yeah TSK, MUL might be hit pretty hard because Tata may insist that Fiat does not willingly supply the JTD engine to Maruti.
Old 20th September 2005, 19:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Problem is both TATA and FIAT suck when it comes to petrol units.
Old 20th September 2005, 19:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Problem is both TATA and FIAT suck when it comes to petrol units.
Oboy there we go - the **** just hit the fan!
Old 20th September 2005, 20:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Oboy there we go - the **** just hit the fan!
*LOL* That was an understatement. Tata Petrol units are nothing much to write home about. Okay, but not that great. But about Fiat petrol units ... now that was a nasty comment.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 20th September 2005 at 20:38. Reason: typeO had to correct a typo. :)
Old 20th September 2005, 20:49   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Tata Petrol units are nothing much to write home about. Okay, but not that great.
And why would a nice person like you make an uncharacteristic remark like that?
Old 20th September 2005, 20:50   #10
BHPian

atleast from now on the fiat lovers can feel happy.by the way when will punto be released
Old 20th September 2005, 20:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
And why would a nice person like you make an uncharacteristic remark like that?
*LOL* Because that is the truth? As I said, the Tata Petrols are okay, but I have yet to have a scorching review on those. One is a decent 85 hp unit and the other is a 115 hp unit on a large capacity vehicle. Correct me if I am wrong. Maybe 2-3 years down the line their petrols will rock. But right now it is their diesels that are the better option. Could be that the Indian market did not permit them to make a stunner yet.

Just found out that it is a 75 HP unit .. hmm.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 20th September 2005 at 21:03.
Old 20th September 2005, 21:04   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
but I have yet to have a scorching review on those. Correct me if I am wrong.
Note to hrag: Pull up your socks and write that long term review on the Indica petrol ASAP!

Coming soon, pal - give me a few weeks.
Old 20th September 2005, 21:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
Note to hrag: Pull up your socks and write that long term review on the Indica petrol ASAP!

Coming soon, pal - give me a few weeks.
Now now. I am not berating the car. I am not a big fan of the powerplant that is all. I am a fan of Tata diesels ... not of their petrols. That is all. But yeah, your review will be welcome dude.
Old 20th September 2005, 21:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

I read through the business standard article but I didn't see how this alliance will help Fiat India. I can only see benefits for TATA with respect to this alliance. The only "advantage" i see for fiat is they can use their ranjangaon facility for making tata cars. Is this the reason why fiat spent millions to set up that facility? To manufacture cars for other car makers?! From the looks of this deal, and the details are sketchy as of now, I feel Fiat has been taken for a ride by the TATA's.

Quote:
I still feel that Tata should stick to diesels with Fiat technology and let Fiat sell the Petrols.
I am against any such agreement if it's being discussed by the companies. Why should Fiat give up it's wonderful JTD technology to some other car maker? The average Indian doesn't know that Fiat is a master in making small cars and efficient diesel engines. The ignorance with respect to Fiat is shocking considereing that Fiat has a long history in India. Or maybe the average Indian still thinks that Fiat sells premier padmini kind of cars in Europe! Just go to the message board in indiacar.com to expereince the ignorance of the average indian car buyer! If a average indian car buyer is given three options : Swift DDis , Tata Indica Crdi (Multi-jet), and Fiat Palio JTD what car do you think he will buy? At least Fiat should insist that the engine covers in swift and indica should carry the fiat logo or something on those lines...

Last edited by amit : 20th September 2005 at 21:28.
Old 20th September 2005, 21:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
I am against any such agreement if it's being discussed by the companies. Why should Fiat give up it's wonderful JTD technology to some other car maker?
Hmm that is a point for sure. However in the interim, what else can be done? Atleast in India. Even if Fiat launches it's JTD here, who is going to buy it? With the Fiat badge that is? :(
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks