Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2005, 19:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Safety measures on Indian cars

I find this sad that most of the manufacturers remove the safety measures to reduce costs on the car.

The government should take some action and make airbags compulsary on all cars.

I must say that I dont like Hyundai but they are the only ones to give the same specs in the same cars all over the world.

chevy forester
honda accord
honda cr-v
hyundai elantra
hyundai tucson
suzuki swift

are the only handful that offer full protection in India too.
Old 20th September 2005, 20:56   #2
BHPian

what about tata safari dicor and ambassidor(sturdy body, no air bags though)i serious feel the honda and hyundai are unsafe they just look like sheet of metal so is ford ikon i just hate it for safety reasons
Old 20th September 2005, 21:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ya you are right. I dont feel myself safe when i drive me zen vxi. Though I am impressed with Swift safety and the sheet they are using to build the car is better than any of their car.

Maruti should improve their sheet quality. Atleast they should make it as thick as ford if they want to stay in business in higher segment too.

trinadha the only company car which i feel safe is in Opel (GM) brands. Man i have driven the corsa 1.4 gsi at 120+ and it feels like you are going at 80 or something. Where as my sis got ford ikon flair which is not as good as corsa
Old 20th September 2005, 21:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

What about Fiat?
They offered airbags and ABS but only a handful were sold with them.
Hyundai is not at all safe and neither is the NHC.
The govt. should first introduce crash tests and an all cars recieving less then 1 star and cars below 2 stars should be anned from highways/expressways.
Roads pay an important role too.
Old 20th September 2005, 21:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Fiat ya they are nice man. Their sheet quality is as good as GM and Tata sheet qulity is also good. Man if they only increase their sheet quality car gets safe 50% and othe 50% can be covered with ABS and Airbags stuff
Old 20th September 2005, 21:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai safety is 2.5 stars they are safe coz of their beams they use inside.
Old 20th September 2005, 21:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
the only company car which i feel safe is in Opel (GM) brands. Man i have driven the corsa 1.4 gsi at 120+ and it feels like you are going at 80 or something. Where as my sis got ford ikon flair which is not as good as corsa
nope the feeling is different
look how low a corsa is like all the other sedans actually even more lower in height.what if a corsa rams into a a stranded lorry on a highway.
it will directly go into it forget the people in the car.same is case for zen ,alto etc.(actually any car)(govt should even make a bumper rule for all the trucks the are pretty high lot of gap between the body and ground)
atleast the suv have the proper height safety. i forgot to add fiat is equally good for indian roads
Old 20th September 2005, 21:43   #8
BHPian

i mean feeling 80 speed to 120 speed is different.
Old 20th September 2005, 21:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

BTW suvs have safety but they are not as stable as sedans. Also i have corsa and ikon at home and i can tell ya that it really feels 80 - 90 when the car is at 120. (I always drive with ac so i do not open the side glasses).
Old 20th September 2005, 22:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

But then the stability of the car does not indicate it's safety does it?
Lancer feels like 100 when it is doing 160 kmph but it got only 1.5 starts in the NCAP.
I feel that FIAT is the most safety concious manufacturer which came into India at a wrong time when FE is an issue and not safety.
Old 20th September 2005, 22:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Stability do have a issue in safety. If my suv rams in to a truck at high speed it can turn over as i have seen i an accident a Sorpion rammed into a divider and it turned upside down.
Old 20th September 2005, 22:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Although I don't agree that more metal equals more safety but I do agree that more metal does give that heavy, built to last feel that is really addictive. And I agree abhibh. Even I used to feel like I was doing 80 in my Palio when the speed was actually 120-130. The reason European cars have that built to last feel and feel so safe and secure at high speeds is because of the high speeds that they are driven at on the high speed-limitless autobahns, autostrada's etc. Also, European's do not change their cars every few years like North Americans and hence the cars have to be built to last for a number of years. This is also the reason, why european car-makers do not come out with "new improved" versions every few months like koreans, Japanese and Americans.
European cars are among the safest because they have to comfirm with the most strict crash test ratings in the world - Euro NCAP. Since the Swift is sold in western europe it scores so well in safety. Tell suzuki to design a India specific car and then submit it for Euro NCAP crash ratings and see where it stands!
Old 20th September 2005, 22:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Though every car maker when comes to India reduces their quality coz most of the indians go on average and not on safety. So this should be changed and Govt should take actions and companies it self too so that their brand is same all over the world.
Old 20th September 2005, 22:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its not only about the strength of the body like fiat and opel have but the safety equips like ebd, abs, and airbags that are removed in the indian model.

fiat is also a good manufacturer. I hope to see fiat sell more cars and improve their ass

tata has also taken agood step with their safari.

we should not promote the cars that leave these safety measures behind.let them rot.
Old 20th September 2005, 22:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

if i am not wrong all Maruti cars use TATA steel...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks