Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 12:47   #31
BHPian

Looks like Fiat not keen on selling the base 1.4 FIRE. Epic battle between VW Polo and Fiat GP is in the making!
Old 11th March 2010, 12:48   #32
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I read somewhere that TSI of VW is better than Multi air? Is it true

With hatch segment on fire after Figo, beat pricing the 1.2 prices of Punto still seems to be on higher side

i still believe the "tank" like Punto need better engine or tuning. Current 1.2 struggles to pull the Punto.
TSI is a combination of turbo and super charger.

Multi air is a different concept of valve control.

Multi air and TSI could be used in one and the same engine.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this is new.

And it is not right. The transportation/ logistics cost is always supplied with the on-road price. Ask him for what amount will he insure the vehicle.

If you are sure it is the ex-showroom price (and there is no discrepancy wrt the trim level) complain with Fiat India about the same. A threat to cancel your booking might also help.
Old 11th March 2010, 20:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

@nitrous
I never said people in other races are devoid of heavyfootedness. I am myself heavy footed, doesn't mean that I am Italian. But the Italian people as a whole are heavy-footed. Again not all of them, but most of them. And I dont think we would call Indian drivers as a whole as heavy-footed. Its the same with a large no. of Italian cars.

The alloy wheels on the GP are only available on the Emotion Pack variant, which is as of now not available with the 1.2 Fire engine. The ABS should be provided with the 1.2 as well in my opinion.

Definitely epic fight shaping between the Polo and the Grande Punto.

Would love to see the Punto Evo turn up in India.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:02   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
TSI is a combination of turbo and super charger.

Multi air is a different concept of valve control.

Multi air and TSI could be used in one and the same engine.
Not necessarily. The Skoda Laura is 1.8 TSI but is only turbocharged. VW's TSI means Supercharger + Turbocharger.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic & Emotion

Just received mail from Fiat regarding Punto 1.2 Dynamic & Emotion

Does that mean that Punto is selling 1.2 models more than 1.4 petrol?

Last edited by aniketi : 12th March 2010 at 11:05. Reason: adding image
Old 12th March 2010, 11:12   #37
BHPian

too little too late..

i see VW walking away a lot of prospective Punto petrol buyers with their Polo.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:26   #38
BHPian

polo with a 3 pot engine is still better i think. and figo is also better than this engine and body combination in fiat! i think the car will struggle in the top end and highway drives for sure.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:42   #39
BHPian

C'mon Fiat. Where is the T-Jet? I'm getting bored by all these underpowered 1.2 engines. Lets have something exciting that would make buyers overlook the Punto's flaws.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
C'mon Fiat. Where is the T-Jet? I'm getting bored by all these underpowered 1.2 engines. Lets have something exciting that would make buyers overlook the Punto's flaws.
Which Flaw are you talking about ? can you please elaborate.
Old 12th March 2010, 16:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Just received mail from Fiat regarding Punto 1.2 Dynamic & Emotion

Does that mean that Punto is selling 1.2 models more than 1.4 petrol?
Not necessarily. Its because of the competition from Polo and Figo. The Punto 1.2 will take Polo head on in the market.
Old 12th March 2010, 19:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Which Flaw are you talking about ? can you please elaborate.
I guess anybody who thinks the Punto has even a single flaw will immediately be pounced upon. Note that I wrote "flaws", not "flaw".

Shall we begin?

Numerous reports of poor after-sales service: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-variants.html (Does Fiat need to buck up before they launch other variants??)

Numerous reports of rust: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...oked-fiat.html (Is there a big quality lapse at Fiat's Ranjangaon plant that is overlooked by Fiat?)

Reports of small parts falling off: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...iat-punto.html (Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto)

Uneven tyre wear: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...cs-pg-6-a.html

Add to that poor quality plastics, uneven panel gaps, numerous reports of leaky beadings. GTO's review also mentioned "glue coming out of joints, odd paint on the glass, misaligned fittings etc" and that the "footwell is very cramped". Furthermore, "gearshift quality is long and rubbery... and the clutch travel seems unduly long" - Source:

Its a good car, but its definitely not flawless.

As I was saying, if it had an exciting engine (like the T-Jet) perhaps more people would be able to look beyond all of the above.

Last edited by theEnd : 12th March 2010 at 19:24.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:37   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
I guess anybody who thinks the Punto has even a single flaw will immediately be pounced upon. Note that I wrote "flaws", not "flaw".

Shall we begin?

Numerous reports of poor after-sales service: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-variants.html (Does Fiat need to buck up before they launch other variants??)

Numerous reports of rust: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...oked-fiat.html (Is there a big quality lapse at Fiat's Ranjangaon plant that is overlooked by Fiat?)

Reports of small parts falling off: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...iat-punto.html (Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto)

Uneven tyre wear: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...cs-pg-6-a.html

Add to that poor quality plastics, uneven panel gaps, numerous reports of leaky beadings. GTO's review also mentioned "glue coming out of joints, odd paint on the glass, misaligned fittings etc" and that the "footwell is very cramped". Furthermore, "gearshift quality is long and rubbery... and the clutch travel seems unduly long" - Source:

Its a good car, but its definitely not flawless.

As I was saying, if it had an exciting engine (like the T-Jet) perhaps more people would be able to look beyond all of the above.
For your kind information, i am not a Punto / FIAT owner, i was just interested in knowing the "Flaws" in the Punto. No Chance of any Pouncing on anyone or anything else as you stated, so request you not to draw unwanted conclusions

I just wanted to know that what are flaws you want to state, now that you have mentioned them, its OK. Thanks for sharing

No Car is perfect, every car has one or more Flaws, so Punto is not an exception.
Old 12th March 2010, 23:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
For your kind information, i am not a Punto / FIAT owner, i was just interested in knowing the "Flaws" in the Punto. No Chance of any Pouncing on anyone or anything else as you stated, so request you not to draw unwanted conclusions

I just wanted to know that what are flaws you want to state, now that you have mentioned them, its OK. Thanks for sharing

No Car is perfect, every car has one or more Flaws, so Punto is not an exception.
No worries buddy.. I wasn't drawing any conclusions. Just was surprised that someone might have thought the car was flawless.

I think of all the hatches on sale in India the Punto is closest to being perfect. It just has a few unfortunate flaws, but the rest of the car is brilliant. Perhaps thats why there's so much debate about it here on Team-BHP.
Old 13th March 2010, 18:52   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm afraid Fiat may have gotten itself into a catch 22 situation. The brilliant dynamics deserve a better engine. I drove the 1.4 petrol, and howled of how I miss a 1.6. However, the market couldn't care less about power and thus, bigger engines are ruled out.

Now, the 1.2 gets precedence over the 1.4. Obviously down to recent new entrants in the market. Problem is, the 1.2 will be VERY sluggish in the Punto. The Punto 1.4 was slower than other Jap / Korean 1.2s already....the Punto 1.2's performance will be even more downhill. I bet that the 1.2 will time a 19 - 20 second 0 - 100.

Problem is, Fiat is trying to go mainstream here. However, they gotta realise that the mainstream market will not buy a Fiat hatch. A hatch that's anyways priced on the higher side. Sorry, but thumbs down to the Punto 1.2 from me.

What Fiat should have done instead is strengthen its presence in the niche market that it finds itself in : By bringing in the Linea-spec 1.3 MJD. And take a couple of tuning lessons from Maruti (boy, what have they done with the MJD in the Swift!). A 90 BHP Punto? That's what I'm talking about. A USP over the competition, supports the dynamics and still, retains fuel efficiency.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks