Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 17:42   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Alright ! Now with this thing coming up am sure the emission control check centres would be making lots of money with motorists making bee-lines. Can anyone point towards one centre around the Anna Nagar/Mogappair area?
Have this now on my to-do list for this week.
The HP bunk after the Park road signal on the Ambattur IE - Thirumangalam main road has an emission check centre.
Old 17th March 2010, 17:50   #32
BHPian

How does one get that green sticker which says 'Non Polluting Vehicle"? Cause in Bangalore, for emmission, we get a certificate that has to be kept in the glove box.
Old 17th March 2010, 17:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
If they do wish to bring pollution underc ontrol, I suggest banning all 2-strokes, especially the autorickshaws. The so called share-autos are even worse.
A share auto transports around 10 people, and hence the amount of carbon emitted per person is much lesser.
That is why a bus or train which emits more smoke than a car is considered environment friendly.
This is also exactly the point at the recent summit on global warming, India and China were battling the west.

Logically speaking it is the private cars that pollute more than these share autos and cabs, because most of the times private cars transport just 1 or 2 persons.

Off topic:Do you know that when you eat those Washington apples or Newzealand pears you are indirectly polluting this earth because it takes a huge amount of aircraft fuel to transport them 2000kms to the super market near you.

Quote:
Alright ! Now with this thing coming up am sure the emission control check centres would be making lots of money with motorists making bee-lines. Can anyone point towards one centre around the Anna Nagar/Mogappair area?
No need to rush to get an PUC.
The cops don't seem to ask for it. They are only checking it using their own equipment.

Last edited by Daewood : 17th March 2010 at 18:01.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2010, 18:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
No need to rush to get an PUC.
The cops don't seem to ask for it. They are only checking it using their own equipment.
But I read that they fine you if the emission levels are beyond the prescribed limit. I would rather not be in that situation.
Old 17th March 2010, 19:53   #35
BHPian

Can we T-BHPians take a oath that we'll always wear HELMETs when ride or on pillian of a two wheeler & check our cars every six months for PUC.

One more suggestion is to introduce the oath in the membership application with a check box (without ticking process should not complete)
fifthwheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2010, 20:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what is the guarantee that a vehicle which gets a PUC and later uses adultered fuel or oil will not pollute?
Any public policy bets on two aspects willing compliance and enforcement by Law enforcement agency both compliment each other and one can never be substitute for other.

In developed world the system works because both means of voluntary compliance and enforcement by relevant agency is in place.

PUC certificate for the compliance which is the first step. it helps you to know that how much your own vehicle is emitting and in case you are failing to get it serviced. A cross check by traffic police with their own equipment is for enforcement and I am glad that Chennai police is doing it.

I see it much like Income tax filing you declare your income and liabilities and pay tax and IT department need to cross verify and penalize defaulters.

Now we can always discuss how lax the enforcement agency is so how pointless it is to do voluntary compliance be it for pollution , Income tax or even for a crime.
Old 18th March 2010, 01:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

The non-polluting vehicle sticker in my 9 month old rocket is gone, thanks to front windshield sun-film. Guess I better take a PUC test, just in case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
Can we T-BHPians take a oath that we'll always wear HELMETs when ride or on pillian of a two wheeler & check our cars every six months for PUC.

One more suggestion is to introduce the oath in the membership application with a check box (without ticking process should not complete)
I am completely for your suggestion - BUT the following need to be adhered to too in addition to what you have said:

1) I will always use my rear-view mirrors before cutting lanes
2) I will not cut lanes like its my grandfather's road
3) I will signal my turns / lane changes at least 25 metres before actually turning
4) I understand that signaling alone does not give me the right to cut lanes ot take turns, and I need to yield for vehicles that are not changing course

I can go on and on. But the problem is with people who do not have rear view mirrors, yet wear helmets which impede their side vision - and they cut right in front of you when you have just about accelerated in 2nd gear! "Yup, I had an accident, luckily my helmet saved my head!"

Old 18th March 2010, 09:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

If all BHPians undertake to check their vehicles for emissions regularly and also to convince their relatives/friends about this, it will be more relevant to this thread!
Old 18th March 2010, 10:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The HP bunk after the waves signal has a testing centre. I last did on my esteem 3 years back before the FFE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
people with FFE's better stay home in chennai for a few days
Hey, not people with FFEs, cars with FFEs. Lol .
Yep, very sad indeed.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:09   #40
BHPian

Actually we are missing the big picture.

What is the point in having your car emit less than the prescribed Government limit ,
but driven 20000 kms/year.
the amount of carbon emitted will be more, than a car which failed in a emission test
but driven only 3000 kms/year.

This is like buying a 5star rated AC and keeping the temperature setting at 20degrees and run it the whole night, when the human body can sleep peacefully without a drop of sweat at 25degrees.
That way you will be polluting more than a guy with a 1 star AC but kept at 25degrees.

Actually we should be taking a oath to reduce our carbon imprint by opting for car pooling or travelling by public transport atleast once a week, rather than just lifting our collars for passing the emission test and thinking i'm not polluting.

Last edited by Daewood : 18th March 2010 at 12:12.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually we are missing the big picture.

What is the point in having your car emit less than the prescribed Government limit , but driven 20000 kms/year.
the amount of carbon emitted will be more, than a car which failed in a emission test but driven only 3000 kms/year.
No we are not , Lets say that we drive based on our real minimal needs( 3000Km or whatever number) but then BS3 compliant and tested vehicle with emit less then a vehicle which is never tested and maintained to emit less for those 3000Kms as well.

Driving less does not negate the need to keep emission under control.

Also we need to look at both macro and micro picture , An overloaded share Auto with 10 people belches more smoke and produce more carcinogens then 10 cars. If you do not belive this see the actual reading from a confirming car and prescribed limit there is almost a difference of 10 times. I have verified it on my own vehicles.
Old 18th March 2010, 14:30   #42
BHPian

I just wish they do the same in bangalore too. I hardly see the cops who are bothered with the emitting vehicles plying around. I always keep the PUC renewed regularly with my every service / 6 months (as necessary), this I take care with a reminder in my cell for PUC & Insurance.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
An overloaded share Auto with 10 people belches more smoke and produce more carcinogens then 10 cars. If you do not belive this see the actual reading from a confirming car and prescribed limit there is almost a difference of 10 times. I have verified it on my own vehicles.
That is not fair.
Just like how private vehicles get a PUC every 6 months,
Share autos and other public transport vehicles also get FC every year,
and that includes an emission test as well.
The share autos that ply here in Chennai are authorised to carry 10 people(they are almost the size of an Maruti Versa) and the traffic cops are very strict with this rule, atleast within city limits.

According to BS III norms the limit of Co2 for an autorickshaw is 1.25g/k
and for petrol cars it is 2.3g/k

it is a fact that private cars pollute more than any other mode of transport because they carry less occupants.
and that is why countries like Singapore have laws to fine people who take their cars out with less than 3 occupants.

Last edited by Daewood : 18th March 2010 at 15:44.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2010, 15:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and that is why countries like Singapore have laws to fine people who take their cars out with less than 3 occupants.
Amazing rule I must say. On the contrary, one must come to the middle east to see how much they are polluting. Almost every family has a huge Suburban and the owner comes to work in the subby alone. every morning you can see large line of Suburbans and Excursions at refinery/ petro/power plant gates, with only one occupant, who drives it about 25-30 kms to work everyday.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:20   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
What really surprised me was that the level of pollution from my Maruti 800 was much lesser than the Splendor I had.
Yes, longhorn, you read it correct. That may be because these 2 wheelers in India still use old technology while the cars have moved up the technology. Came to know recently that while cars have to be BSIV certified by Apr 2010 but the govt is mulling to bring the bikes into BSIII category! Not sure of the reason though ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks