Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 17:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
I read somewhere that Ikon are Getz will no longer be sold in 14 cities because they are not BSIV compliant. That would take a big chunk out of the sales.
I believe Getz is discontinued. Hyundai has removed the Getz from its website today.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Me too was wondering that its still selling 1000+ cars. Politicos have long since shifted to the new gen cars like Fiesta, Endeavor etc. So who is still buying close to 1000 Amby's.

Great debut by Figo. 7000+ units in March. VFM has been taken to the next level with the figo!
You got to be in Delhi to see all the new ambi's being used by all the govt. departments
Old 8th April 2010, 18:22   #48
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
V

3 i10 is a big surprise !!! 15 K + is really a good number. Santro also is still doing good after completing 10 yrs.

4 Feel really bad for Fiat. I will say they are unlucky. Palio is almost died & Punto also has declined. Dont know where they are messing it up.

From the numbers we can see that max no of sales coming in the range of cars within 3.5 - 7 Lacs. All manufacturers should concentrate on this area if they want numbers. Numbers of Swift, Indica, Figo, Dezire, Manza, Wagon R, Alto, i10 suggests that people wants VFM, space, A.S.S. than any other thing. All these cars have at least any 2 points in them.
3- why would it be a surprise? i-10 is THE standard now in the small hatch segment, maybe the decline in alto sales is a little surprise!
4 FIAT brought it upon themselves, they are the ones to blame, simple!

If i were to suggest to a player in the game, they should focus on the VFM Sedan and the premium sedan. Tell me WHAT is a good choice today to buy a 7-8 lacs sedan? NOTHING to say, as fiesta,verna,accent,ikon are all OLD.
SX4 got just a facelift, and the linea, well FIAT is a huge risk still with its sales and service
Also in the 10 lacs segment, the honda city is the ONLY car for a long long time and literally has no competition
There are enough players now in the hatch and premium hatch and more lined up(nissan, toyota) but very less action planned in the segments i mentioned. The way Manza hit the sales numbers without affecting the Dezire speaks a LOT of the demand that exists for a decent family car with a boot.
Its mainly in the Tier 1 and somewhat in the Tier II cities that a demand for premium hatch exists, other places people still want to see a boot in their "big" car
But yes- max sales will always be in the 3-7 lacs segment for sure.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Amazing sales of the 3-seres! At 298 units it even beats the Accord!

I'm surprised that the Corolla Altis sells more than the Civic and Cruze even when the latter two are much better than the Toyota.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:36   #50
BHPian

I was amazed by the numbers of the Polo, Beat and Punto. Looking at the amount of euphoria that the Punto generated, I did not expect it to die down anytime soon. But it looks to be in a decline, would love to know the reasons behind this. I think its a great car - its just unfortunate that its from the Fiat brand. Or is it something else?

The Beat and Figo may be in the same category but IMHO they cater to completely different users. The practical people would definitely go for the Figo whereas those for whom styling / cool factor is needed would go for the beat.

Definitely did not know that the i10 is such a big hit either. We see a few i30s on the roads here , its an excellent car but Hyundai never cut it big down under. Its great to see that where hatchbacks rule the roost (read India), Hyundai has made a great name.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:57   #51
BANNED

The shocking success of the Ford Figo does not come as a surprise- it is a great car at that price point and it's Indianness in the ads really hits the nail I assume.
The Punto is dying to it's competitors and I can blame only one reason and that is its fit and finish and of course the weak engine- other than that I really don't see such a work of art in any other car that is on Indian roads in the same segment. Such a shame... Fiat wake up!! Linea seems to be on an upbeat with figures creeping up again that is a close rival to the OLD Fiesta and NEW SX4. I think it will zoom past even City provided the T-JET comes at around the same price point of its diesel version....
Old 8th April 2010, 20:02   #52
BHPian

I am surprised to see the sales of old lady Pajero rasied from 57 to 200. is there any reason behind this ?

I am very happy to see the sales of Figo with 7K and I hope that Ford will follow this strategy in its future launches.

All Honda cars sales increased marginally due to the Ad campaign they did in march.I got around 5 message with offers from the dealer,so no need to get surprised.

At last one thing is clear, Customer is becoming King in Hatchback segment with lots of option.

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 8th April 2010 at 20:04.
Old 8th April 2010, 20:03   #53

Despite the jump in sales figure for Indigo, Dezire is rock steady. Does this mean that there is more room in the value for money sedan segment. Surely Ford and Hyundai must be thinking about upgrading their old warhorses Ikon and Accent. There is an opportunity begging here. With the way Polo is priced, I am sure Polo sedan is already out of this segment. Maybe Toyota Etios can fill the gap, but then again maybe not and Logan can forget about it as well.
Old 8th April 2010, 20:17   #54
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Over 7K Figos sold speak a lot of the car's abilities. Seeing the sales chart, I'm surely considering a diesel Figo in the near future. The 298 numbers for a 3-series is a surprisae too, thanks to the CE edition. Also the Fortuner is selling very well indeed. The sales of the i20 are also healthy, moreover with the upcoming Era and Sportz versions this figure is only going to rise. Finally glad to know the i10 sells almost as much as an Alto. It shows the buyers perspective of getting a bigger and better car.
Old 8th April 2010, 20:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

The next segment that is going to get a shake up is the sedan segment with the
Etios sedan,polo sedan,and the new fiesta.The Kizashi is also expected to give Altis a run for its money.
Old 8th April 2010, 20:49   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
3- why would it be a surprise? i-10 is THE standard now in the small hatch segment, maybe the decline in alto sales is a little surprise!
Totally agree. The average Indian car buyer is getting increasingly savvy. I wont be surprised if the Swift overtakes Alto in sales by FY2011

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 8th April 2010 at 20:51.
Old 8th April 2010, 20:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

the safari is finally seeing 4 digit sales numbers. but it is still lesser than the tavera, forget the innova, scorpio & xylo.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:06   #58
Senior - BHPian

Sad day for FIAT India.

Hope FIAT tries to correct its path by loading its hatch and sedan with appropriate engines, the electronic bells and whistles(i20 had already done that- competition is getting tough even now) with premium look/feel interiors.

Other than your fans, potential customers are always suspicious of resale and service (as from the fate of LOGAN). Exclusive service outlets is a basic necessity for survival.

Last edited by ramzsys : 8th April 2010 at 21:07.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:23   #59
BHPian

Just did some second level analysis to see how each manufacturer is fairing.

Segments considered : Small cars and hatchbacks (first 3 tables in the sheet)

Car model considered for each maker:
  • Maruti : 800, Alto, a-star, estilo, wagon-r, ritz, swift
  • Hyundai : santro, i10, getz, i20
  • Tata : nano, indica
  • GM : spark, beat, uv-a
  • Ford : figo
  • Others : punto, polo, fabia, jazz
January:
  • Total car sales : 112682
  • Maruti : 61016 (54.15%)
  • Hyundai : 26949 (23.92%)
  • Tata : 15449 (13.71%)
  • GM : 6730 (5.97%)
  • Ford : 0 (0%)
  • Others : 2538 (2.25%)
February:
  • Total car sales : 118013
  • Maruti : 63558 (53.86%)
  • Hyundai : 28198 (23.89%)
  • Tata : 15607 (13.22%)
  • GM : 8215 (6.96%)
  • Ford : 106 (0.09%)
  • Others : 2329 (1.97%)
March:
  • Total car sales : 121001
  • Maruti : 57525 (47.54%)
  • Hyundai : 28749 (23.76%)
  • Tata : 16328 (13.49%)
  • GM : 8195 (6.77%)
  • Ford : 7210 (5.96%)
  • Others : 2994 (2.47%)
1Q10:
  • Total car sales : 351696
  • Maruti : 182099 (51.78%)
  • Hyundai : 83896 (23.85%)
  • Tata : 47384 (13.47%)
  • GM : 23140 (6.58%)
  • Ford : 7316 (2.08%)
  • Others : 7861 (2.23%)
Observations:
  1. hyundai and tata are holding there ground, at least till now
  2. maruti losing market share to newer cars (beat, figo etc); 47% in March vis-a-vis 58% in January
  3. with full production of nano tata would surely go up
  4. with full production of polo, others' share would also go up
  5. 3 & 4 would mainly hit maruti, probably
Old 9th April 2010, 02:56   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The next segment that is going to get a shake up is the sedan segment with the
Etios sedan,polo sedan,and the new fiesta.The Kizashi is also expected to give Altis a run for its money.
I am yet to see a non vfm(meaning expensive or premium) product from suzuki doing well till now. Will wait and see how Kizashi performs.

I am still puzzeled by Manza and Dezire numbers. Manza sales are increasing every month. But Dzire is increasing the gap. Really good thing to happen for the buyer. Same goes with Vista/Swift. Good competition.

Last edited by airbender : 9th April 2010 at 03:01.

Most Viewed