Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2006, 20:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
4) The most recent one I heard was that volume of music playing in your car should be at such level so as not to distract other drivers...!
But its legal to distract yourself?????
Old 2nd April 2006, 11:40   #32
BHPian

Well Steroid, All I can say is that the person who plays Loud Music-is already so deaf- thats why he need to conk it up or suffers from a mental disorder to attract attention...Already Distracted himself...! lol...!

Just put the best sound system in your car, and just play at the right volume...!
Old 2nd April 2006, 16:19   #33
BHPian

Did you know that Smoking while driving is an offence. I came across an old Driver's Licence ( the old book type ) that clearly states that Smoking while driving is liable for penalty. There's also a picture of the driver holding a Cigarette with a big CROSS mark on it.

God bless.
Old 2nd April 2006, 17:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriest
Well, I was stopped a couple of days ago by a cop near BKC for having an 'illegal' license plate. The license plates on my Swift has a small but prominent Suzuki "S" logo on the left hand side. The cop claimed that having any kind of logo on the license plate is illegal.
That is true. You cannot have anything on the number plate other than the number - written in english and I forget but there is a particular size of the alphabets on the number plate too.
Old 21st October 2006, 05:53   #35
BANNED

Is it punishable by law to kill/injure a domestic/pet animal on the public road using a vehicle ?

I've heard that domestic/pet animals should not be allowed to roam freely on the public roads...
Old 23rd October 2006, 12:30   #36
BHPian

Does anyone know the law about overtaking in India? I was told that on a divided road it was ok to overtake a vehicle from its left side; but not correct to do so on an undivided road? Thanks.
Old 24th October 2006, 01:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
thats been discussed a million times.in a way its against the law unless its below a certain limit.dont exactly know how many db.but then none of the cops have a decibal meter to measure it so they normally fine you straight away.but many people have free flows.if a pandu catches you you just have to be confident and say its not against the law and tell him to show you the rule which says it is.after arguing they should let you go.

the best thing is just dont rev hard when you see them.

rev
i think the rule for the indian rally cars state that the exhaust should not be louder than 103 decibels measured 10 feet from the tip of the exhaust. and all rally cars are required by regulations to be road legal, so i think that the same rule must apply for the road cars as well, not sure though, please check.
Old 24th October 2006, 21:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Here in Delhi/NCR the fine for being caught while talking on a cell while driving is 1000. But funnily, only a cop of the rank of SI is authorised to collect and issue a receipt for 1K, if any cop of lesser rank catches you for this, he is not authorised to collect and issue a receipt. he can only issue a challan and keep your driving licence. One has to appear in the court on the designated day to pay the fine and get your licence t kill document back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish.sathish
CNU good one. Do you have any info on the section for using cellphone while driving... I once committed this mistake myself (I am not going to defend myself for what I did).. to my surprise, I was chased by the cops in a two wheeler (all traffic cops are supposed to wear helmets when they ride (in chennai/TN atleast as far as I know).. the ones who stopped me didn't have one.. i could have pointed that to them... but that doesn't mask my mistake anyway..)... they told me that the fine is around Rs.1100.. Is this correct.. This is just to know what it is... not that I am going to repeat the mistake if its cheap..
Old 24th October 2006, 21:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

I'm a regular on the MG road for the last 3 years and have encountered many a traffic week. But never the one that you have mentioned. Both, my safari and scorpio are equipped with high powered Bluevision and I have never been stopped for that.

For the record, I drive only with my fog lamps on (maybe that's why never challenged) . HLs are rarely used. They are either flashed to geta pass or switched on if a moron from the opp direction is on a perpetual high beam mode..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein

3) Lamp Laws- Using High Beam in City Traffic is a Offence. Using High Power Halogen Lamps on the car for regular driving conditions is a offence ( You are permitted to use High Beam/Halogen-under Bad weather conditions or High way only). Drives for Lamp Laws are conducted in Delhi every Traffic Week..! Specially on the Mehrauli-Gurgaon Road.

Regards,
Old 24th October 2006, 21:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

This is absolutely ridiculous. Where do these raj cops expect people to put their luggage if it exceeds more than 2 big suitcases?

Also, I would like to know if the MV Act is nationally universal or state specific. If it is state specific then everytime one goes on a long distance then will have to study the prevailing MV Acts of those states just to keep on the right side of the law. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL
Another rule which it seems is enforced in Rajasthan..private car cannot have a luggage rack. Only commercial cars are allowed. So if you have a personal Innova/M800 with a rack, then 50 bucks...
Old 24th October 2006, 21:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

A big NO. Whether a road is divided or not, overtaking is permitted only from the right since in India we drive on the left side of the road and overtaking from the right enables us to look out for any vehicle coming from the opp direction.

Overtaking from the left is dangerous as the vehicle in front can abruptly tkae a turn to left without giving an indication or just steer to the left to stop at the kerbside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi
Does anyone know the law about overtaking in India? I was told that on a divided road it was ok to overtake a vehicle from its left side; but not correct to do so on an undivided road? Thanks.
Old 24th October 2006, 22:42   #42
BHPian

Great information cnu. Very, very useful to me as I got to know many things that I didn't know.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th October 2020 at 20:18. Reason: Typos, SMS language
Old 24th October 2006, 22:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
A big NO. Whether a road is divided or not, overtaking is permitted only from the right since in India we drive on the left side of the road and overtaking from the right enables us to look out for any vehicle coming from the opp direction.

Overtaking from the left is dangerous as the vehicle in front can abruptly tkae a turn to left without giving an indication or just steer to the left to stop at the kerbside.
gd1418,
in a divided road which in effect is a one-way, overtaking is permissible on both sides, since no vehicle is expected to charge you from the opposite side.

OT..please use the edit option to include all your comments in one post.. (Some wise man told me & i am following it till date). cheers
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2006, 06:27   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
Is it punishable by law to kill/injure a domestic/pet animal on the public road using a vehicle ?

I've heard that domestic/pet animals should not be allowed to roam freely on the public roads...
Anyone please answer my question since I had injured a pet a few days ago !!!
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2006, 10:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
Anyone please answer my question since I had injured a pet a few days ago !!!
mithun, i am not aware of any such law. of course iam not in a position to confirm that. but killing/injuring an animal by accident, as far as i know is certainly not illegal. only thing that will bother you is your conscience. so the best thing to do would be to pick up that animal & take it to the nearest vet & have it treated. that way, you will know that you did your best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks