Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 13:50   #406
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
All details on the Yeti here:
Skoda
Excellent! Thanks for the link.

Now looking forward to the official T-BHP review from GTO and Co.
Old 15th November 2010, 13:51   #407
BHPian

For the difference of about a lakh or so, the Elegance is the version to go for.
The differences in terms of features (mostly safety, convenience) are significant.
Old 15th November 2010, 13:52   #408
Senior - BHPian

Looks like there are six colors available. Good choice of colors. Unlike some traditional colors. It's the brown, Red and black that would attract more attention i guess. However I would liked the projector lamps on the elegance model.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:12   #409
Senior - BHPian

Seriously awesome car - I love it!

Considering how much more you get on the elegance, I guess it's the one to go for.

Can't wait for the official td-review!
Old 15th November 2010, 14:17   #410
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I dont think this will have any impact on Tata Aria at all considering the two vehicles are widely different in the first place and belong to completely different segments and are aimed at widely differing end-user/ consumer profiles as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
So does it seem like a logical upgrade to the current group of Safari and Scorpio owners?
The Yeti won't be cross-shopped with the Aria / Scorpio / Safari as much as it will be with the Laura, Cruze etc. We have to understand that it's a "mini SUV", once that's shorter than even some C segment sedans. Skoda's clearly targetting the urban yuppie who wants an SUV'ish vehicle that's also like a European sedan to drive. Think of the target market for the Honda CRV (when it was better priced).

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
is it with all cars? In the sense the state of production has lesser ex showroom price than other states?
Sometimes. Differs from brand to brand.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:26   #411
BHPian

The specs list goes on endlessly It is ideal for an architect like me since most of the driving will be on city roads but sometimes the roads are terrible when we go for site visits and the fairly decent ground clearance with 4x4 ability is just what the doctor ordered. Pricing also is spot on
Old 15th November 2010, 14:35   #412
BHPian

considering the price points, I think out of the 2 variants, elegance would sell more simply because by paying just about a lac more, you get loads of features.

what remains to be seen is whether the car would set the sale charts on fire or not. The yeti for sure is a bit too expensive for what you see, but with the current buying spree of indians, you never know.

to come to think of it, there is a major vacuum in the SUV market, between the price range of 11 Lacs - 19 Lacs.

probably the yeti would fill it in. people who don't want to buy a scorpio, and don't want to spend anything above 19 lacs, would probably queue for the yeti, irrespective of it's big hatch looks.

OT:: still waiting to get my hands on the car for a proper test-drive. might do it tomorrow.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:45   #413
BHPian

The pricing on this Yeti is absolutely spot-on from Skoda. Looks like they have done terrific research prior to launch and have got in their hands, a definite future winner.

The Yeti shares its platform with Laura but the specifications have made it lot better than Laura as far as equipment and features are concerned. The Elegance has features matching the L&K, 4x4 transmission, raised ground clearance and more rugged build due to its intended purpose when compared to Laura at more or less an equivalent price.

If one can overlook the elegant looks of Laura or sporty stance of Cruze at their price segment, Yeti fits the bill perfectly. However, I can't bear the bug like front fog lamp design of Yeti.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:47   #414
Senior - BHPian

Checked out YETI today , no test drive though ! The car was just on display . The interior fit and finish is top class . Nice driving position . I was disappointed with the rear though , the seats though comfortable , they are not one size up , compared to hatchbacks . A little short on thigh support , and three would just about fit ( just my opinion ) but wont be really comfortable .
But an exciting vehicle though , has created a new segment , which will attract more customers in future !
Old 15th November 2010, 14:49   #415
Senior - BHPian

GTO - can we expect the TD report soon?

I have mixed feelings about this car. It comes with great features and a brilliant engine. On the other hand its a small car, is priced pretty high (in the end its still a mini SUV) and is a Skoda - with the A$$ and Unreliability.

A very niche urban market like (but not same) the one Honda tried to fit Jazz in. Didn't succeed. Lets see how Skoda does. To Skoda's advantage, not much competition, unlike Jazz which had i20 and then some.
Old 15th November 2010, 15:06   #416
Team-BHP Support

@GTO (or anyone in the know): Any idea if they will eventually offer an A/T as well? Lack of A/T seems real bummer.
Old 15th November 2010, 15:20   #417
BHPian

just read on autocar that the car would start at 15.4 for the base and th top end would cost 16.6 considering the road taxes insurance and all the base will be more around 18 nd the later around 19.5-20 lakhs and that too both are manual. i think if people are looking for softroaders they would prefer a captiva rather than yeti
Old 15th November 2010, 16:41   #418
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I have mixed feelings about this car. It comes with great features and a brilliant engine. On the other hand its a small car, is priced pretty high (in the end its still a mini SUV) and is a Skoda - with the A$$ and Unreliability.
Off late, I haven't seen too many Skodas, at least in Bangalore complaining about ASCs and moreover, Skoda as a brand is not unreliable at all. Amoghchaphalkar and Raveeendra are just two examples out of TBHP that come to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56 View Post
i think if people are looking for softroaders they would prefer a captiva rather than yeti
Yeti is more drivable in the city and has much higher offroadability than the Captiva. Also, the interior fit and finish is at a higher scale. I dare say that it is also better built than the Captiva alongwith being more fuel efficient, modern and practical.

Let the market decide.
Old 15th November 2010, 16:49   #419
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i second what you say dev

the few pals I ve got who own Skoda's have not grumbled about Skoda service though they have said that maintenance can be expensive.

The Yeti will open up a whole new world at that level there is no doubt.

Like GTO says the cross-shopping can be between Laura, VW Jetta, Toyota Diesel Altis, Cruze etc and this Yeti - at the price it does offer a very viable SUV-ish alternative for those inclined that way.

For you and me - well, we need to decide frankly whether we are in the market at this time for a 19-20 lac soft roader with reasonable off road ability or NOT.

Answering for myself, well, as I ve posted earlier, the space, size, price mix is not quite there for me though the luxe element, fit, finish and euro tag is very nice indeed. I also prefer an MT to an AT (personally) - dont know what the majority of this particular niche market would prefer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Off late, I haven't seen too many Skodas, at least in Bangalore complaining about ASCs and moreover, Skoda as a brand is not unreliable at all. Amoghchaphalkar and Raveeendra are just two examples out of TBHP that come to my mind.

Yeti is more drivable in the city and has much higher offroadability than the Captiva. Also, the interior fit and finish is at a higher scale. I dare say that it is also better built than the Captiva alongwith being more fuel efficient, modern and practical.

Let the market decide.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th November 2010 at 16:50.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:29   #420
BHPian

true the overall quality is surely better than the captiva but there are many people out there who are sacred of skoda , scared that the car might turn out to be a lemon. i always loved the laura and had dreams about the car but after doing lots of research i have decided to wait for hyundai avante cause it a hyundai and m sure it will reliable and the maintenance will be much lower than a skoda. similar is the case with yeti
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks