Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

The engine could be the 1.4 D-4D, 89 Bhp engine from the Toyota Yaris. This engine is said to be highly efficient as well as reasonably torquey.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
The engine could be the 1.4 D-4D, 89 Bhp engine from the Toyota Yaris. This engine is said to be highly efficient as well as reasonably torquey.

Cheers,

Jay
The dealer in Vadodara said that the engine is going to be 1.6 ltr. The car will be launched in end-2010, but other person in dealership said that launch could be in July.

I am not sure if this information is correct or not. Earlier I read somewhere that the engine mounts will have to modified heavily for the 1.4D, so Toyota was thinking something else.

But after what they did with Innova ( for BS-IV ) I think they will opt for safe route of 1.4.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:50   #18
BHPian

The 1.4 D might find its way into the Etios sedan and hatchback. Makes sense too...

Pradeep

Quote:

Cheers,

Jay
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
About the Fortuner ,one long drive in it and I fail to understand as to how does it command such a fan following .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
So is this the death knell for CIVIC and to some extent the CRUZE?
The Cruze is almost dead now - I hardly see any new cars in Mumbai. In fact in the intial period after the launch, I saw 3-4 cars and after that it's been a futile search to get to see the Cruze.
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:02   #20
BHPian

90 bhp for the Corolla, although makes sense for people looking to be chauffeur driven, seems to be a lil' too low. Atleast something like 120bhp is a must. If they bring this engine, Laura and Cruze will sell even more!
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I'm surprised that the Altis petrol is thrashing the Civic in sales. Isn't the Altis just a cosmetic upgrade over the Corolla?
No Smartcat,

Altis is not just a cosmetic upgrade to the Corolla, rather I would say it not as an upgrade but a evolution of the Corolla,

The Altis is slightly bigger, wider and feels much more planted and composed than the Corolla, however not as spirited as the Civic

Plus the Interiors have completely changed and its feature list would just put the Honda Civic to shame.

Regarding the Diesel Altis, I am sure it will bring huge success to Toyota and I can foresee long waiting for it, quite similar to Fortuner story,

If Skoda does not improve quickly, and I mean very very quickly, It might be facing a knockout in the D-segment.

Regarding Pricing front, 13-15L seems a good and achievable pricing and even at this, It is going to rock the sales.
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,

Jay
1.4D? And make them look like what ?

It will have to be a powerful and efficient one. This is the only way Toyota can take on the rest of the gang when its World's largest selling car badge failed and not to forget the new face which they thought will lure the Honda Civic customers.

VW/Skoda has already did their share by bringing good diesel engine.

Someone wake up the Honda people.
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:48   #23
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
1.4D? And make them look like what ?

It will have to be a powerful and efficient one. This is the only way Toyota can take on the rest of the gang when its World's largest selling car badge failed and not to forget the new face which they thought will lure the Honda Civic customers.

VW/Skoda has already did their share by bringing good diesel engine.

Someone wake up the Honda people.
+1

It is right time for Toyota to bring up new engines instead of using the same old engines. If they bring the 1.4D 89 BHP in a Corolla Altis, i would not prefer it as it is competing with a lower segment.
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

after the launch the altis will come under the category of "game changers"
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The Cruze is almost dead now - I hardly see any new cars in Mumbai. In fact in the intial period after the launch, I saw 3-4 cars and after that it's been a futile search to get to see the Cruze.
Not sure about Mumbai, but overall numbers do not refllect that. It is selling well, more than CIvic.

Last edited by gupta_chd : 3rd May 2010 at 19:01.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:00   #26
BHPian

Its good that they are getting the 1.6 ltr Diesel, it might help them with the Avanza also and that for sure will be a game changer "a small diesel muv" if priced less than the scorpio and the safari will eat into the XYlo, Sumo Grande, scorpio and the safari market.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

fantastic info dude. Thats a much awaited car in C+ segment for sure. A diesel from big daddy surely will help to boost sales for Toyota IMHO!

Those are awesome FE figures!

OT:

loooking at FE figures, by chance is it a confusion between Etios and Altis because AFAIR I havent heard or read any scoops of Altis diesel

Last edited by recshenoy : 3rd May 2010 at 19:21.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:33   #28
Team-BHP Support

Folks I still dont understand.

Though 21 FE is very nice, but if its with 1.4D or 1.6D, is it not smaller to the competion.

90BHP for 1.6 at what torque is the question.

It will not be apple to apple. Wont 1.6 be underpowered for a vehicle of size of Altis?

Definitely 1.4D would be Etios and same thing cannot go in for Altis.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Folks I still dont understand.

Though 21 FE is very nice, but if its with 1.4D or 1.6D, is it not smaller to the competion.

90BHP for 1.6 at what torque is the question.

It will not be apple to apple. Wont 1.6 be underpowered for a vehicle of size of Altis?

Definitely 1.4D would be Etios and same thing cannot go in for Altis.
It surely would, and, after having driven the 1.8 petrol I can vouch for the fact that if its a 1.4 D, (Corolla) brand loyal people would be disappointed.

IMHO, the mileage figures indicate a figure of a 1.4, but, I cannot deny the fact that it is a Toyota and they might have a trick or two up their sleeves.
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
That's interesting news. The engine must be 1.6L minimum (by Toyota FE standards). Definitely has the potential of sales success, provided they can optimize production to ensure shorter waiting periods (unlike the Fortuner). Nevertheless it will be success story from the company's perspective.
Most probably the engine will be 1.4L, pumping out around 90 BHP.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks