Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 14:51   #136
BHPian

@romeo, Scoop master Sid is hanging out in the Toyota Altis diesel thread!

@Gansan - nice ideas dude. But high hopes. That would push the A* out to
5L+ territory. Indians can pay that much for an i10 (as many have done even on this forum) but I doubt they will do that for an A* which is so much cramped at the rear..
Old 21st July 2010, 14:52   #137
SCH
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Alto (facelift) Coming in 23rd July 2010 | Upcoming Cars India - CarWale.com

According to Carwale , check the link above the new ALTO would be launched on 23rd July 2010.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:58   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
@Gansan - nice ideas dude. But high hopes. That would push the A* out to
5L+ territory. Indians can pay that much for an i10 (as many have done even on this forum) but I doubt they will do that for an A* which is so much cramped at the rear..
Well, it was just a wish! But I think it can work as a niche segment - as a variant of the regular A*, and there will be little risk of it decimating the Swift/Ritz/Wagon R sales.

Last edited by Gansan : 21st July 2010 at 15:02.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:58   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Maruti, how about replacing the current Alto 800cc with this 'new' Alto K10B, I mean no price hike and then plonk that 800cc EuroIV in M800 and continue selling it for another decade? Sounds like a perfect plan .
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@Hammerhead, I won't be surprised if they just go ahead and do that. Quite sensible idea actually. The M800 will get better (especially the a/c) and the Alto will get better courtesy the 1l engine.
The funny thing is that Maruthi had both cars suggested above ! The 12-valve F8 engine & 5-speed transmission combo, currently doing duty in the Alto, was offered on the M800 5-speed DX version. And the Alto was offered with the 16-valve 1.1 liter (1061 cc) engine as a Vx avatar. The 12-valve M800 was killed off to make the Alto Lx look better & I guess poor patronage meant the unceremonious demise of the Alto Vx.

Anyway, despite the rather dubious tail-light design, this is good news, my mom's M800 is on its last legs & I was kinda hoping the K-series Alto wasn't just a rumour. But seriously, Maruthi should think about getting somebody good (I'll settle for competent) to handle their refreshes & face-lifts
Old 21st July 2010, 15:04   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
And bring out the A-Star with the 1200 cc K series engine as a premium pocket rocket!
That will make its price close to Ritz/i10 Kappa hence might not find anyone buying it.
By the way its not the engine cause of which AStar is not rocking the sales charts, its more of i10 effect + other drawbacks of AStar over its previous generation, the Alto!

Last edited by HammerHead : 21st July 2010 at 15:08.
Old 21st July 2010, 15:18   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
In this entry segment, I doubt if looks matter a whole lot. Folks just need a cheap and reliable option and Maruti knows that too well. If they can price it at max 25K more than the outgoing one, it will continue the ruling.
In this segment, or any for that matter, looks do matter, but people are willing to compromise the looks for things that are more important to them like FE and reliability for example. What I trying to say is that when you are going to spend crores on upgrading a product, do it in a way that the market will appreciate. A classic case in point is the evolution of the Santro from what it was when launched in 1998 to the Xing avatar you get now.

What Maruti engineers have done time and again, is to take up a good looking product and screw up its looks. Heck if you can't do it properly, then don't ! The guy who approved that design ought to be fired ! The Alto looks confused now. What were they trying to do, make it look like a Spark. Maruti for heaven's sake please listen to your customers. The Alto does not need to look like a Spark to sell. You could have very well spent those crores on something else and spared us this ugly look. I'd be much happier if they just plonked the K10B into the current Alto with upgraded interiors.

Last edited by longhorn : 21st July 2010 at 15:20.
Old 21st July 2010, 15:33   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
When you are going to spend crores on upgrading a product, do it in a way that the market will appreciate. A classic case in point is the evolution of the Santro from what it was when launched in 1998 to the Xing avatar you get now.
That is exactly what I feel and the example that you gave is perfect!! Hyundai designers did an excellent job turning the ugly Santro in to what it is today.

Other examples of decent face lifts I can think of are:
Sumo to Sumo Victa
Current Zen Estilo
Current Indigo CS
Current Mahindra Bolero
Old 21st July 2010, 15:46   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn
I'd be much happier if they just plonked the K10B into the current Alto with upgraded interiors.
Yeah, the sore point with the Alto was not the looks. If engine bay had to be made bigger to accomodate the 1l engine, they could have modded the front, but to disturb a nice looking rear is sooo stupid. Wonder what they did to the front !!!
Old 21st July 2010, 17:41   #144
BANNED

Carwale has posted spy pic of Alto 1L.

EDIT: Sorry, seems like the pic has already been posted. I some how don't like the tail lights. The current ones look better.

Maruti To Launch New Alto - Exclusive Pictures! CarWale News

Last edited by ottocycle : 21st July 2010 at 17:48.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:49   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Carwale has posted spy pic of Alto 1L.

This looks tacky from rear, inspired a bit from the sparks round tail lamps..anyone?. May be there was a conflict between the so-called designers with one wanting to have new shape tail lamps and other one wanting to retain the earlier ones, so they came up with this .

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 21st July 2010 at 17:51.
Old 21st July 2010, 21:04   #146
Senior - BHPian

This is the export model meant for China.*

* I hope sincerely.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti plans to relaunch Alto with 1000cc K-series engine-newmarutialto2.jpg  

Old 21st July 2010, 21:56   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
This is the export model meant for China.*

* I hope sincerely.
No better way of putting it. Just like the midlife face-lift of the Esteem.

The previous Alto VXi was a pocket rocket. I am one of the few who bought one, but sold it off soon, a decision I regret. The upcoming one I hope shall be a worthy successor, at least in performance.
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:43   #148
Senior - BHPian

Here is the pic of front page of brochure courtesy facebook page of OVERDRIVE.
Marginal improvement in space and legroom at the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti plans to relaunch Alto with 1000cc K-series engine-66ka.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2010, 09:58   #149
BHPian

the new model seem to have a flatter front when compared to the new estilo. Looks good, hope the 1L K series engine does it duty well. Carwale has quoted that, the K10B engine would be tweaked to give less power and more mileage. This tweaked engine would do its duty on the Alto. If they price it well may be between old-alto Vxi and estilo lx, then it would sell like hot cakes.
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:22   #150
BHPian

Latest news says Alto K10 would be priced" The K10 will be priced in the `2.8-3.4 lakh range, squeezing between the Alto Lxi and Estilo LX. Only top-end variants Lxi and Vxi will be available. "
Source: ET
Link: Will K spell magic? Maruti to launch new Alto next month-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks