Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 18:47   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
if present model alto's certified mileage is 19.7kmph whereas the new ones expected to be 20 - not much difference in mileage by fitting a new engine.
And alto also going to get 1000cc engine, then it will be in the same range of
estillo and wagon R (998cc) ?
As I said, you get similar FE yet MORE POWER & TORQUE.

Maybe. There might be a slight difference like that between Ritz & Swift. Maybe more than that.

And since quite sometime Maruti has been doing this. Offering many options in same segment. Plus Maruti has always maintained that as long as buyer sticks to Maruti, it doesn't matter which car from the same segment he opts for.

Again, IMO Maruti is making way for SUZUKI CERVO, maybe with the F8.

Regards.
Old 8th July 2010, 19:30   #77
BHPian

CERVO with F8 might mean Alto can co-exist. This would also mean, Alto can still reamin as the biggest selling car from Maruti's stable. Any expected Lanuch date? yummy! my dad has more options now! with a smallish budget! he is now going to get spoilt
Old 8th July 2010, 19:37   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
CERVO with F8 might mean Alto can co-exist. This would also mean, Alto can still reamin as the biggest selling car from Maruti's stable. Any expected Lanuch date? yummy! my dad has more options now! with a smallish budget! he is now going to get spoilt

CERVO+F8 is a mere speculation on my part. Its just that this theory of mine explains the recent tweaking of F8 and positioning of Alto+k10 a bit higher in the segment.

Rest, let us see what Maruti is up to. Maruti hardly tinkers with anything that ain't broke. Alto being bread and butter model am surprised MS is doing this revamp. Only explanation seems to be introduction of CERVO as a replacement for M800 and to fight Nano in ultra low price segment,

There is a thread on cervo which is no longer active. Any latest news about CERVO heading to our shores?

Or when is the revamped alto being launched?

First read about this revamped Alto in some recent issue of ACI. Zigwheels too have reported the same. Link:

http://www.autocarindia.com/news/new...-series-engine

Regards.

EDIT--There are also some rumors about a new variant of Alto to be priced below 2 lakhs. However, am not sure if same can happen with the introduction of new engine. Plus, base alto is already well...too basic. Anything less than that will fail short to match Nano LX on features front.

And here is another old link about CERVO from rediff business.
Says CERVO shall be priced between 1.5-2 lakhs.
http://business.rediff.com/slide-sho...t-5-2-lakh.htm

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 8th July 2010 at 19:49.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:52   #79
Senior - BHPian

This ET report (Maruti Suzuki to launch new and improved Alto-Auto-TV-Economic Times), more or less, says the same thing:

- Launch by mid August.
- 1 litre k-series engine.
- Will have exterior and interior changes.
- Will (obviously) be more expensive than the Alto.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:59   #80
Senior - BHPian

With regards to changes, it would probably not be a minor face lift. It would need a redesign of the front since the K10B is supposed to be wider than the current Alto engine.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2010 at 21:23. Reason: Merged. Thanks.
Old 8th July 2010, 21:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
With regards to changes, it would probably not be a minor face lift. It would need a redesign of the front since the K10B is supposed to be wider than the current Alto engine.

Yes, same had been said here and at ACI that it will get a bigger front end and better interiors.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2010 at 21:23. Reason: Threads merged now, so editing post.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:00   #82
Senior - BHPian

Maruti should alter alto now. It looks quite outdated now. They should come up with all new design. There is very big market for small cars. Alto, Nano, Santro nos. suggests that. If MSIL come up with all new car & put 800 + K 1.0 engine option in it with similar pricing of alto, it will be a sure shot hit. No doubt in that. It will sell just because its a Maruti. MSIL should think over this seriously.

Last edited by aniketi : 9th July 2010 at 10:01. Reason: correction
Old 9th July 2010, 10:44   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Maruti should alter alto now. It looks quite outdated now. They should come up with all new design. There is very big market for small cars. Alto, Nano, Santro nos. suggests that. If MSIL come up with all new car & put 800 + K 1.0 engine option in it with similar pricing of alto, it will be a sure shot hit. No doubt in that. It will sell just because its a Maruti. MSIL should think over this seriously.
How can Maruti bring an all new Alto? When the world wide alto is being sold as Astar in India.

What they might do is launch the Alto with a K-series engine with a slightly modified Engine bay, and they might just change the color of the dash. Add to that a revised fog lamp and tail lamp, and the all NEW Maruthi Suzuki Alto is launched.

1) No major cost increase, as the entire chassis and body remains the same. (as we all remember alto already has a 1.1ltr engine. hence not much modification is required to fit the new K-Series engine).
2) It would eat into the sales of the A-Star which anyway is a cost to Maruthi due to lower sales. Which would mean stopping production of A-Star.
3) Better Economics Better cost of manufacturing Better Margins as the volume of K-series engine would increase.
4) Can kill the Alto 800cc in a year or two, OR may be reduce its price to the level of Maruthi 800. And offer it as a replacement for M800 across India.

Thats maruthi for you. And we Indians will continue to Buy the all new Alto....
Old 9th July 2010, 11:12   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameern.85 View Post
Minor facelifts are expected, in terms of headlights, grille. On similar lines of Wagon R (Blue eyed boy) and the new Estilo.

Cheers..!
The WagonR is all new while the Estilo was a facelift with a heart transplant. For the Alto we can expect a facelift similar to the Estilo. The front end would be lengthened a bit to provide sufficient space for the K10B motor, as was done to the Estilo. I guess (I'm speculating here) we can expect some improvement in the interiors too as this will be priced at a premium to the current Alto.
Old 9th July 2010, 17:22   #85
BHPian

Just read an article on zigwheels

Maruti plans to launch Alto with 1-litre K series engine - News - Zigwheels

There are lot of choices in entry segment from Maruti with K10 series engine.

Now what is the point with alto of K10 engine after we have estilo, A star and wagon R
Old 9th July 2010, 17:28   #86
Senior - BHPian

Somehow all this new variants of Alto is getting too confusing.Didnt maruti launch a new Alto in april when the emission norms came into effect?It had a slightly different instrument cluster a rear lamps.Sidindica had even done a scoop on it.So that was "new" alto that was supposed to be launched with the a new engine coming soon.
Old 10th July 2010, 18:56   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's not like Maruti to mess with its entry-level formula without reason. The Alto's definitely feeling the heat from the Nano 1/2 a segment below. A 1.0 liter will give the Alto more (and much needed) pep, without compromising anything on the fuel efficiency front. There's hardly any difference in the cost of production between the 0.8 & 1.0 L engines anyways, especially with the latter increasing in scale.

I'm always left surprised by the mass junta and how they talk only in terms of "FE" and "CC" of the engine. The Alto could psychologically move up the social ladder with the new engine.

Y.C.Baleno makes a valid point. Maruti could fill the gap below the Alto with an entirely new car. After all, who can beat Maruti's size & cost of production in India!
Old 12th July 2010, 18:51   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's not like Maruti to mess with its entry-level formula without reason. The Alto's definitely feeling the heat from the Nano 1/2 a segment below. A 1.0 liter will give the Alto more (and much needed) pep, without compromising anything on the fuel efficiency front. There's hardly any difference in the cost of production between the 0.8 & 1.0 L engines anyways, especially with the latter increasing in scale.

I'm always left surprised by the mass junta and how they talk only in terms of "FE" and "CC" of the engine. The Alto could psychologically move up the social ladder with the new engine.

Y.C.Baleno makes a valid point. Maruti could fill the gap below the Alto with an entirely new car. After all, who can beat Maruti's size & cost of production in India!
Hi GTO, you have a valid point, however I dont think that MSIL is going to discontinue the 800cc model when they launch the 1 litre version.

Also, you think, it will move up the social ladder, as its still gonna be the same space in terms of interior legroom and headroom as compared to a 1 litre Spark or an equivalent Santro.

I think, it will be even more nice if they launch the newer version with a CNG kit. It will be the final homerun for MSIL to bring home the market share.

Let me know your thoughts on it.

Cheers.!
Old 13th July 2010, 11:46   #89
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameern.85 View Post
I dont think that MSIL is going to discontinue the 800cc model when they launch the 1 litre version.
And you have a valid point in turn! They could potentially offer the 1.0 only in a higher trim level? Similar to how Hyundai has successfully managed two petrol engines (1.1 irde and 1.2 kappa) on the i10.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:55   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And you have a valid point in turn! They could potentially offer the 1.0 only in a higher trim level? Similar to how Hyundai has successfully managed two petrol engines (1.1 irde and 1.2 kappa) on the i10.
That is exactly what will happen. The F8 engined alto will continue to be sold. What remains to be seen is if it will also get the facelift that the K10 engined alto is expected to get. Cos' if it does, Maruti have to also figure out how to fit in the 800cc motor in the new engine bay modified for the K10(which i doubt maruti would do).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks