Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Best B+ Segment Choice!!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/8490-best-b-segment-choice-3.html)

kausu 8th November 2005 06:04

ill go for the hyundai getz!!...love that car...has a good amount of power and space!

veyron1 8th November 2005 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
I test drove it extensively and compared to petrols the performance is definately lacking in city.
Low end performance is similar to NA indica with turbo kicking in after 1800rpm.
As for the clutch, the travel may be less, but driving in city traffic for about 1 hour can give your shoulder a permanent ache, but its a good way of making muscles. This is the biggers grouse with the indy's, horrible rubbery gearshift as compared to the rivals

even i've driven the turbo for a li'l distance too, and from what i could make out, the car has evolved EONS from it's predecessor. and as far as comparing it to the petrols go, it can definitely keep up with the palio 1.2, if not the swift and the getz...and it can certainly eat zens, altos, santros and 800's for breakfast..

yes, driving it in the city could be a problem, but that's because of it's lousy roll-ons and the turbo lag. keep the revs above 2000, and the indy will whoosh past ya. and oh, that super whistle from the turbo's addictive too...

all in all, if it weren't for the swift (and perhaps the getz- we're talking all rounders here, aren't we), i'd say the turbo indica would be trumps on this poll...and my personal fave as well...

p.s- no need to get started on the plastics quality, et.al...it's definitely improving, though not exactly up there..yet...

tsk1979 8th November 2005 13:07

I agree on the highway part. At 100kmph, in fifth gear you have engine spinning around 2500rpm with 13kgm torque available. So floor it then and see it going to 140.
but the biggest grouse remains. The gearshift. Short drives will tell you nothing, but when you drive it across highways, towns, himalayas, dirt tracks etc., etc., for 50000kms you realize that you have to live with a sore shoulder. I dont mind the rubbery part at all, but the amount of force it requires to change a gear i too much. After all you are driving a car, not a tractor.
That said, inspite of its shortcomings, Turbo is the best option of the lot if you do more than 1500kms/mo, and its still in reconing if you do 1000kms a month.

raajks 8th November 2005 13:07

SWIFT for me, Indian version of the mini cooper

veyron1 8th November 2005 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
but the biggest grouse remains. The gearshift. Short drives will tell you nothing, but when you drive it across highways, towns, himalayas, dirt tracks etc., etc., for 50000kms you realize that you have to live with a sore shoulder. I dont mind the rubbery part at all, but the amount of force it requires to change a gear i too much. After all you are driving a car, not a tractor.
That said, inspite of its shortcomings, Turbo is the best option of the lot if you do more than 1500kms/mo, and its still in reconing if you do 1000kms a month.

i agree, the gearshift is not exactly it's prime USP, but hey, it ain't that bad either...at least, i didn't find it to be "that" bad on my short test drive of 50-60 kms or so...

but yes, it does require effort; all the small cars from tata suffer from less-than-satisfactory gearshifts.

and i believe almost everybody must be doing at least 1000 kms a month; otherwise, what's the point in buying a car, yaar...and that would mean that the indica turbo is a great bargain, again...

prkothan 8th November 2005 13:27

Swift and Baleno is world best cars !!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aseem
This poll shows that Swift continues to be the favorite of this forum despite strong criticism and self praise by Getz owners. If you read this thread carefully, you will see that although more and more people are voting for Swift, yet you see most people that are taking time to write are choosing Getz.
So end of the day I feel people who have bought Getz and prefer Getz are less than people who like Swift, its just that people who have Getz are more vocal about their opinions.
To take this poll further lets identify the key aspects where each car is strong:

Space, FE, Performance, Build quality, Tyre Size, Goodies like ABS, Safety, Price, Looks....

Assem,
I understand/accept your love for Baleno and Swift or let me call it maruti-suzuki cars.

Now imagine a world (or atleast India), in this everyone accepts that Baleno (Black color) is the best C,C+,D,D+, E,E+ segment car and buys it. Who ever unable to buy Baleno, buys Swift. Now imagine the roads, it will have more than 90% cars maruthi cars. Will it not be boring? With whom you will race?With whom you will argue?

Come on man, this world is built on diversity and full of diversity. Without diversity this world will die.

Why only Getz owners are more vocal about their opinions? Aren't you as a Baleno owner vocal about your opinions? Don't impose your opinios on others. Others are equally knowledgeable.
After all what you gain by proving "my car is best" ?

Regards,
Prasanna

RX135 8th November 2005 14:01

It will be interesting to see how people eventually respond to Swift. FE has become synonymous with Maruti cars, whereas Swift is much heavily built car compared to Maruti standards. The FE is bound to be lower than most other Marutis on road. If Swift maintains its sale for sufficient time, it will be a good news indicating indian market maturing beyound FE.

P.S: I have not voted since I have not driven all 4 of them.

Surprise 8th November 2005 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135
It will be interesting to see how people eventually respond to Swift. FE has become synonymous with Maruti cars, whereas Swift is much heavily built car compared to Maruti standards. The FE is bound to be lower than most other Marutis on road. If Swift maintains its sale for sufficient time, it will be a good news indicating indian market maturing beyound FE.

P.S: I have not voted since I have not driven all 4 of them.

Swift is certainly lower in FE when compared to Alto's & Zen's. But better (atleast marginally) when compared to the car in that league, hence Maruti still maintains its status on FE.

chandan 8th November 2005 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
Getz if you dont do great distances, Indica TurboDiesel if you do.

Duh....whats a Palio???

I did a 2400 km trip in 5days in my Getz...absolutely fatigue free driving..Thanks to the Getz' comfort.Ofcourse FE is an issue when compared to Indica diesel.

sivadas 8th November 2005 14:45

I have voted for Swift. Though I like both Palio and Getz, swift is different!!

RX135 8th November 2005 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise
Swift is certainly lower in FE when compared to Alto's & Zen's. But better (atleast marginally) when compared to the car in that league, hence Maruti still maintains its status on FE.

I saw some posts claiming Swift FE at 10-11 kmpl. The other cars in the same league as Swift are Getz, Palio 1.2/1.6 (I know, Palio is not a contender on sales chart). They give similar FE figures (except Palio 1.6).

MalluDude 8th November 2005 16:49

I like Getz and Palio better than Swift, but voted for Swift due to its better FE reputation, and Maruti reliability. Guess a lot of us think the same way...

DCEite 8th November 2005 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
I dont mind the rubbery part at all, but the amount of force it requires to change a gear i too much. After all you are driving a car, not a tractor.

Well, surprisingly i found the gearshift of Swift to be most difficult as far as effort or force required. Dont know was it due to the new test drive car, or all Swifts have this characterstic. Swift owners please enlighten..

shibujp 8th November 2005 19:05

my vote
 
Swift it is!!

And indica turbo if crunched on the VFM part.

Drive on!!
Shibu.

aseem 8th November 2005 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by dceite
Well, surprisingly i found the gearshift of Swift to be most difficult as far as effort or force required. Dont know was it due to the new test drive car, or all Swifts have this characterstic. Swift owners please enlighten..

Swift gearbox is not similar to the desi cars that we are used to. The gear shift is quite sporty (gives a hydraulic feel) and takes time to get used too. Once you are used to the Swift gearshift, Esteem, Baleno and WagonR will feel quite desi and ghati. I own an Esteem, so telling my experience!


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:05.