Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:21   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
Holy cow! I can clearly see the Auto gear shift lever (looks very plastic, but its there!). Now the wait starts for GTO and team to give us a "professional" review
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Holy smokes...if they say that the only car they've driven is the diesel and the photo clearly shows he top of an Auto gear shift...

Looks like the word on that Diesel At just might be true. This one will fly of the shelf if that happens, Skoda *** concerns be damned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
Wow! That's some attention to detail. I did not notice that. A diesel with that fine auto box would be awesome.
Guys, guys! Hold on to your horses.

Check the specs given in the Autocar review -

Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-untitled.jpg

It clearly mentions that they had the Manual version which they test drove. Also, there's no mention anywhere in the Autocar review that the car they drove was a Diesel AT variant. If it was, they would have been all over it and mentioned it in the first line of their review.

Also, ICB clearly mentions that Skoda has no immediate plans for the diesel AT in the Rapid - Skoda Rapid Sedan’s diesel variant unlikely to get an automatic gearbox at launch! | IndianCarsBikes.in

Quote:
While manual five speed tranmissions will be standard equipment on both the petrol and diesel variants of the Rapid, an automatic gearbox might be initially available only for the petrol engined Rapid. At the launch, the Rapid Diesel will not get an automatic transmission. This information was relayed to us by UTV Bloomberg-Autocar show editor, Renuka Kirpalani, who is currently driving the Rapid Sedan at the media drive.
Maybe they will include a diesel AT box in the future, if they decide to bring in the premium DSG, which will surely add at least a lakh to the top-end manual Diesel variant. For now, I am pretty sure the Skoda will have a petrol AT in it's heart.

As regards the interior pic from Autocar, I think it might be a pic from the petrol AT variant, which they might have taken before taking the Rapid Diesel out for their TD.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 2nd November 2011 at 16:25.
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:23   #437
BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
Autocar's just driven the Rapid:
Skoda Rapid review, test drive - Review - Autocar India

They say they found the engine a tad smoother than the Vento and the suspension a bit stiffer (Less pitching about, they say).
The front looks like a Fabia with a boot. Good to see AT option on a Diesel.
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:27   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Guys, guys! Hold on to your horses.
Horses have been held onto, although they are now very sad horses. :(

Hope springs eternal though. There really is a market for a Diesel AT, that much is undeniable. The first guys to come up with an affordable one will hit the proverbial jackpot.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:36   #439
BHPian

Quote:

Check the specs given in the Autocar review -

Attachment 836002
And did they estimate the price to be at 6.7 lakhs ex show room? Too good to be true.

I assume that will be for the base petrol model. Nevertheless, if its going to be launched at that price, it would be a killer.

I sincerely hope they do.
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:40   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Horses have been held onto, although they are now very sad horses. :(

Hope springs eternal though. There really is a market for a Diesel AT, that much is undeniable. The first guys to come up with an affordable one will hit the proverbial jackpot.
The Vento TDi Highline comes to around ~9.75L. If the Rapid is priced at about 30K less, expect the price to be in the range of 9.4 - 9.45 L for the top diesel variant. Add at least a lakh for the Auto, and you are looking at a minimum price of about 10.4 - 10.5 L for the Diesel AT.

OTR should be about 11.5 L, which is still slightly premium. I don't think they will be able to price it any lower than that.

Of course, even with that pricing, they will have the Verna CRDi AT beaten by at least 60K rupees (OTR pricing), maybe even more, which will make the Skoda Rapid the cheapest diesel AT on offer.

Kudos to Skoda if they are able to price it at around the above assumptions, when they bring in the diesel AT. Let's hope they bring it sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
And did they estimate the price to be at 6.7 lakhs ex show room? Too good to be true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
I assume that will be for the base petrol model.
Exactly.

The Vento TDi TL comes at about ~8.25L, so don't expect the Rapid to go anywhere below ~7.8 - 7.9L. I think the introductory price of the Rapid Diesel base model will be ~8L.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 2nd November 2011 at 16:47.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:19   #441
mxx
BHPian

Guys, which world are you living in? Do you really think VW will introduce a skoda with diesel AT when vento does not have one? Either they will introduce AT diesel in both Vento and Rapid or if only one of these is going to have diesel AT, it will be vento.
Dont daydream about skoda diesel AT.
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:45   #442
Senior - BHPian

The floor carpet is black and the handrest looks a little different. I always thought the grill for both Vento and Jetta looked a little meek and this should be good looking.
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:10   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Having said that, I doubt Skoda would actually launch the Diesel AT. Like Anshuman said, they would need to get the DSG for that, which would end up increasing the prices.
Well, they have sold diesel cars with non DSG AT's in the past.

Quote:
I can clearly see the Auto gear shift lever (looks very plastic, but its there!).
Day dreaming?. BTW, the photo can be of a petrol car while review talks about the diesel varient? WHat say?

Quote:
Guys, guys! if they decide to bring in the premium DSG, which will surely add at least a lakh to the top-end manual Diesel variant.
How about a traditional AT? Like the old Superb TDi?

Quote:
As regards the interior pic from Autocar, I think it might be a pic from the petrol AT variant, which they might have taken before taking the Rapid Diesel out for their TD.
Yes, as they say, accessories shown in the picture may not be part of standard equipment!
anandpadhye is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:23   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Holy cow! I can clearly see the Auto gear shift lever (looks very plastic, but its there!). Now the wait starts for GTO and team to give us a "professional" review
The rpm counter is redlined at 6k rpm, so definitely the petrol car. I guess they took pictures in Petrol while reviewed the Diesel.
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:42   #445
BHPian

guys i have booked the vento tdi tl breeze. should i wait for the rapid or go ahead with the vento? please help
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:02   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
guys i have booked the vento tdi tl breeze. should i wait for the rapid or go ahead with the vento? please help
its a matter of a week, why not wait?
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:44   #447
Senior - BHPian

You get 3 variants in the rapid against two in vento. You may find the mid variant in rapid to have comparable price to vento TL and have better equipment list. Better wait for a week and then decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:56   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Vento TDi Highline comes to around ~9.75L. If the Rapid is priced at about 30K less, expect the price to be in the range of 9.4 - 9.45 L for the top diesel variant.
Autocar speculates a 3-5% reduction in price for the Rapid compared to Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Do you really think VW will introduce a skoda with diesel AT when vento does not have one? Either they will introduce AT diesel in both Vento and Rapid or if only one of these is going to have diesel AT, it will be vento.
I believe so too. Skoda is always placed a level lower to VW products. Now how will they be ready to give an edge to a Skoda product over VW sibling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
What Autocar states is that the price of Rapid will be lesser than Vento by around 3-5% with marginally lesser equipment level. Why don't you wait & check which one is better. Looks like the Rapid gets a slightly firmer suspension too.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:28   #449
BHPian

Review of the Rapid, tonight on the Autocarshow at 10:30, on Bloomberg UTV. Looking forward to it eagerly.
manjot1912 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:38   #450
BHPian

Specs updated on the Autocar TD page. No auto box for diesel.

Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-specs.jpg
manjot1912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks