Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2011, 22:30   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011

IMO, the front and the rear of the Rapid make it pretty distinctive in terms of looks (with those subtle and wide ridges across the bonnet and the number plate sides). The side profile is the one similar to Vento.

Overall, look-wise, the Rapid should stand on it's own, although people will keep comparing it to the Fabia.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 7th November 2011 at 22:40.
Old 7th November 2011, 22:36   #512
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011

I feel, looks of Rapid is lot better compared to Vento, and wont be surprised is Rapid sells more than Vento, for me Vento looked dated and boring. Yes many like Vento looks, but many dont like Vento look so Rapid should fill that gap, since everyone likes, build quality, handling and diesel powered engine.
Old 7th November 2011, 22:42   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Technical Specifications, courtesy Rushlane.com -

Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-skoda_rapid_sedan12.jpg

Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-skoda_rapid_sedan13.jpg

Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-skoda_rapid_sedan15.jpg

Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-skoda_rapid_sedan16.jpg

Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-skoda_rapid_sedan17.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 23:42   #514
Senior - BHPian

Hurray! Unlike the VW, Skoda has three trim variants. Good job. Decent set of features too. Now price it a little lower than the Vento and grab attention. Wonder what will happen to the sales figures of the the Vento which comes with only 2 variants - one decently loaded and one awfully stripped down base trend line!

Kudos ! For once, ABS comes ahead of Music system for once. Safety could have been standard though, but an improvement nevertheless
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 06:20   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80
I'd say we feel so because the vento came in first and we have got used to the way it looks now. Imagine if Rapid had come before the vento, we would have appreciated it much better.
That wouldn't have happened. Because the evolution has been this way : Polo -> Vento -> Rapid. The current Rapid specs and design have been an afterthought by the VW group only in the Indian context. All this was not planned.

What is Skoda's planned evolution? The Mission L / Vision D platforms. Now I'd love to see them come to India soon.

Last edited by nileshch : 8th November 2011 at 06:25.
Old 8th November 2011, 06:38   #516
TOR
BHPian

Hope Seat comes along too and spices things up with a sister product with an even lower price. that has been the VW strategy world wide and there is no reason that it would not work in India.

With the VW and Skoda brands already having certain brand recognition in India, i feel the Seat brand could well take the fight to the Japanese.
Old 8th November 2011, 11:49   #517
Senior - BHPian

Skoda has added a teaser on its website which i noticed 2 minutes back regarding the rapid - its a sneak preview

Rapid Coming Soon Skoda Auto -
Old 8th November 2011, 14:41   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Hormazd's tweet on price is as below.
Quote:
Skoda to price Rapid aggressively. Expect Rs 6.7 lakh for base petrol and 7.7 lakh for diesel
Old 8th November 2011, 14:51   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hormazd's tweet on price is as below.
If that is true, let me book the Rapid Diesel Elegance
Old 8th November 2011, 15:07   #520
BHPian

Autocar India has already done TD and published their review.

Skoda Rapid review, test drive - Review - Autocar India
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-aasas.jpg  

Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-edwedwe.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 8th November 2011, 15:35   #521
BHPian

Booking has already started here in Chennai but I am wondering what would be the delivery time lines. The sales rep was quoting delivery around 4th week on Nov or 1st week of Dec. I have booked a vento trendline but the more the time it is taking, the more I tend to believe that I should be canceling that booking and go in for the Rapid Ambience edition (which has ABS, Driver Airbag and Keyless entry as standard).
Old 9th November 2011, 20:05   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Skoda has added a teaser on its website which i noticed 2 minutes back regarding the rapid - its a sneak preview

Rapid Coming Soon Skoda Auto -
Sneak Preview ? For a car, whose front debuted about 3 years ago and same car whose body is so very common on our streets already?
Maybe they should have had a sneak preview for the tail lamps?

And hey, what happened to the Skoda trademark - C shaped design in the tail lamps??
Old 10th November 2011, 00:56   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Sneak Preview ? For a car, whose front debuted about 3 years ago and same car whose body is so very common on our streets already?
Maybe they should have had a sneak preview for the tail lamps?

And hey, what happened to the Skoda trademark - C shaped design in the tail lamps??
The tail lamps are to Vento'ish. So I guess showing the tail lamps in sneak preview would cause more confusion and people will start thinking Vento is on Skoda website and people on t-bhp will start a 'blunder by skoda website thread here' similar to the Tata's annual report blunder thread.

For sneak preview they should have shown the cut on the boot that Vento does not have. Apart from this and the front, i cannot see any difference from the Vento.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:28   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
For sneak preview they should have shown the cut on the boot that Vento does not have. Apart from this and the front, i cannot see any difference from the Vento.
Both of them are the same car with a subtle variation.
While I love the mid variant in Rapid and hopefully the VFM pricing. I am wary about its A.$.$. Also there are a few small things I dont like with the rapid. For example
  • The tacho with its display in X100
  • The rounded off looks. Vento's sharper & cleaner lines are better.
But mainly for the fact both are same cars. I think Indian customers deserve a little more choices. Product planning like these will only cannibalise each other.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:36   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
think Indian customers deserve a little more choices. Product planning like these will only cannibalise each other.
That's exactly how I feel, @oxyzen. If VW/Skoda would have had the Mission L derivatives sooner in India, I would have loved that. Not really excited to see Rapid, purely because it does not introduce more choice in the market (atleast from a car enthusiast's perspective).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks