Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which transmission would you like?
Paddle Shift 69 44.23%
Stick Shift 56 35.90%
Automatic Shift 31 19.87%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2005, 14:30   #16
BHPian

The automotive industry is gradually going to a saturation level
So, companies are trying to device newer concepts to push up their sales.

Paddle shift is really for Formula 1 cars as there are not enough space for placing normal gearbox and drivers must hold steering properly always (any slight deviation at high speed will hit the barrier).

In paddle shift (when placed in steering wheel), there is no mechanical link between the selector and actual gearbox. The signal is sent electronically to a motor near gearbox which actually shifts the gear to proper level. So, if that sensor fails, you're car is stuck stand still. It's really to see in India's predominant polluted environment how those sensors will perform

There is another concept called semi automatic, gear shift looks like

(-)
|
A -- D -- N
| |
(+) R

This is similar to paddle shift, but mounted on conventional stick. It also allows to put the car in fully automatic mode. Many cars in Europe now introced it - but people said that in Citroen cars, it performed very badly as on-board computer often gets confused exactly when to change gears in Automatic mode.

I believe that "enjoying the freedom of manual gearchange while still doing automatic" is basically a marketing hype. If somebody really wants to feel thrill of driving should drive a manual car instead.

And most importantly, all these novelties will push up the car price further. Our European/American brothers can afford those toys but majority of Indians still can't (unfortunately)

In India, man is more adjustable than machines

PS: The diagram looks a bit awkward. It was looking fine when I typed. Basically the + & - should be just below & above of D.

Last edited by Shan2nu : 25th November 2005 at 16:47.
Old 25th November 2005, 15:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

No, the paddle-shift will not work in India. Simply 'cos the manufacturers wont find it worth their while to introduce such high-tech gizmos only to find a handful of takers for them becuase of the high premium.

As for the bumper to bumper traffic, what Sbasak has mentioned with the sem-auto is the ideal solution for most people. I drove a diesel fiesta with one of those and worked fine as an auto and also did shift up and down at my own will in the semi-auto mode unlike what Amit is complaining abt with the Passat. But if i had to choose, i would take the paddle-shift. Like, Shan, i too could live with that.
Old 25th November 2005, 16:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

I prefer the manual stick shift for every day use and especially for the Indian traffic conditions. I do like the paddle shift but its not practical here.
Old 25th November 2005, 16:33   #19
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Paddle shifts were primarily invented for high performance cars
In India there are very few 'performance cars'
It makes no sense of having paddle shifts puny 150 bhp car (RS) or any other car .... I cant imagine a Santro having paddle shifts ... haha what does that car have.... a PS for 63 bhp car.

I stick to manual.
Old 25th November 2005, 17:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion Automatic shifts should be for Women, Senior citizens etc.
Stick shift for those who love to drive but carefully like our dads uncles etc...
Where as Paddle Shift should be for all guys at Team-BHP.. Specially for Drifter and Lambhorghini. lol

Hows this!!!!

Old 25th November 2005, 19:33   #21
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Lambhorghini. lol
Lambo drives??? I thought he is underage.
Old 25th November 2005, 20:02   #22
BHPian

guys trust me its really awkward sittin so crouched up to u r steering wheel and shifting using a paddle....and that too in traffic it can get a lot tougher....i would a say a tiptronic would be ideally suited in that condition...morever paddle shifts really come to their use in sports mode driving scenarios...else its a hassle......cheers...!
Old 25th November 2005, 22:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

The only inconviniance with paddle shifts is when you are turning or on a curve and have to change gears. Mind you, it's just a inconviance because with time you will get used to doing it but it still is weird to tap on that paddle when your steering is not in the straight ahead position.
Old 25th November 2005, 22:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

In most of the newer cars with the paddle-shift dont the pedals turn with the steering wheel itself?
Old 25th November 2005, 22:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dont the pedals turn with the steering wheel itself?
Yes Deeps, the Paddles turn with the Steering and it does get inconviniant to shift when your steering is turned and your paddles are somewhere down below.
Old 26th November 2005, 03:44   #26
BHPian

as pointed out before , i think manual works best in the indian conditions.
lets get practical guys
Old 26th November 2005, 04:58   #27
Team-BHP Support

GTO rightly this pointed out. With a paddleshift gearbox both your hands will be holding the steering wheel. That's alright while racing. In the course of regular driving, it'll be nothing but tiring and inconvenient. Regular automatic transmission cars of today are no real slouches either. The more I think of it, the more I seem to prefer a regular manual or a regular automatic.
Old 20th August 2006, 15:53   #28
BHPian

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to correct a few points.

Firstly, nowadays all paddle-shifts (including the ones in Ferrari and Lamborghini) are capable of autoshifting- i.e. acting as a regular Automatic transmission without any feedback required from the driver.

As to paddle shift in parking positions etc. the ones currently all have been programmed to work perfectly in such situations. Also, regarding getting the feel of a true manual, whilst that may never occur but they are a lot of fun when learnt to use correctly. The transmission DOESN'T upshift automatically in most recent cars and it allows you to downshift on your own but it also downshifts automatically if you don't do so since the computer would be best able to judge that.

IMHO, the Honda Civic has a very crappy version of paddle shift but hey, atleast they are starting getting new changes in.
Old 20th August 2006, 16:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

stick shift is the best... why waste pleasure of driving by using something like paddle shift....
the joy of driving lies in manual boxes n sticks why go in foe auto boxes
Old 21st August 2006, 08:22   #30
BHPian

From a long time I was considering getting an auto (now paddle shift) as a SECOND car for city use. Driving inside Bangalore city is a serious pain with all the traffic bottled up, and if I don't have to constantly shift gears, that would be great.

But, when I am out of town, on an open road (not neccessarily straight), an auto box would kill the joy of the whole thing, right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks