Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which transmission would you like?
Paddle Shift 69 44.23%
Stick Shift 56 35.90%
Automatic Shift 31 19.87%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:02   #46
BHPian

The stick shift of course! Who does not love to be in command?
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:31   #47
BHPian

Really old thread but just wanted to say that i just got myself a paddle shift City,its really fun to drive and you can manually shift down even in the "D" mode.(good for overtaking).And as for the difficulty of shifting the paddles when turning (fixed to the steering) I still didn't get a chance to shift while turning lock to lock at the same time. LOL
Old 4th January 2009, 02:37   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr chill View Post
Really old thread but just wanted to say that i just got myself a paddle shift City,its really fun to drive and you can manually shift down even in the "D" mode.(good for overtaking).And as for the difficulty of shifting the paddles when turning (fixed to the steering) I still didn't get a chance to shift while turning lock to lock at the same time. LOL
what about reversing - is it as complicated to shift into reverse and back into forward gears when parking as they showed in the old top gear episodes
Old 4th January 2009, 04:37   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Jassi- I don't think you can shift into R via the paddles. It would cause unwanted confusion that might land up in a dent.
Old 4th January 2009, 11:19   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
@ Jassi- I don't think you can shift into R via the paddles. It would cause unwanted confusion that might land up in a dent.
not via the paddles - i am aware of that - what i meant was there is a normally a procedure - i.e. put in neutral, engage reverse (press both paddles once or some other button), then again disengage reverse, engage forward, etc
This was shown by jeremy clarkson in one of his old top gear episodes (on an aston martin i think) and if this is the procedure then parking in a tight space will be irritatingly pathetic with a paddle shift
Old 4th January 2009, 11:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Its better to leave the reverse to the stick itself
Let the paddles do the normal function like in the F1 cars.

I somehow feel that paddles should be stick to the steering, else there would be a problem in changing while turning ( which 1 shouldn't actually)
Old 4th January 2009, 16:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

My preference is Tiptronic style autobox where I can shift gears when I want, or else the gearbox will work like a normal autobox.
I would love to have paddle shifts. Much better than stick shifting and it can get me in control of the car more precisely when I want just like in Manual.

But I think that we can have very small pedals that are more easy to use. Yes more easier than what Honda is offering and in this case the Mitsubishi Outlander is the worst.
Old 4th January 2009, 17:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
not via the paddles - i am aware of that - what i meant was there is a normally a procedure - i.e. put in neutral, engage reverse (press both paddles once or some other button), then again disengage reverse, engage forward, etc
This was shown by jeremy clarkson in one of his old top gear episodes (on an aston martin i think) and if this is the procedure then parking in a tight space will be irritatingly pathetic with a paddle shift
The Aston they tested in Top Gear did not have an automatic gearbox. It had a manual gearbox with an automatic clutch. That's why it sucked so much.

The automatic in the Civic for example, slot into R, reverse, slot into D, drive. No complicated procedures to follow, no need to touch the paddles.
Old 5th January 2009, 01:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

Such an old thread. Interesting discussion on the Paddle shift and this was before anyone even knew that the Honda Civic with the paddle shifts was on its way to India.

And I did makeout ST677 leaning towards the Civic in those late 2006 posts itself.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:04   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr chill View Post
Why do you need to downshift with the paddle in 'D' mode? A tap on the accelerator will make the auto gearbox downshift one gear.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 23:58   #56
BHPian

Re: Paddle shifts on Indian cars - will it work?

Very valid thread at any given day.

Though this thread was created a decade ago and indian auto industry now has plethora of auto options including the AMT, CVT, DCT, TC, etc. which is better for manual shifts on auto cars?

For any family affordable with one car and want to use auto only in traffic but would still want the gearing experience on open roads, which really is comfortable?

The poll did not have a clear winner and hence initiating again for the current gen cars

stick shift image reference: stick shift

OR
paddle shift image reference: paddle shift

Last edited by tirumalavoleti : 13th March 2021 at 00:04. Reason: added reference links
Old 13th March 2021, 00:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

I have been using a Civic AT with paddle shifters for 10 years now. It’s the best combination as far as I am concerned. I stick it in D for normal running in the city. For the highways, I use the S mode and the paddle shifters for manual control.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 13th March 2021 at 01:01.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 09:56   #58
Senior - BHPian

Give me a good auto, and I'll shift up or down using my right leg
ph03n!x is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 14:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Give me a good auto, and I'll shift up or down using my right leg
Touche! I feel same way, too. Right foot pressure determines shift points-- shift-ups, shift-downs, early-shifts, late-shifts. It's all under your right foot. Then why add another device to operate? Paddle shifters are redundant, IMO.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 16:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Touche! I feel same way, too. Right foot pressure determines shift points-- shift-ups, shift-downs, early-shifts, late-shifts. It's all under your right foot. Then why add another device to operate? Paddle shifters are redundant, IMO.
pgsagar, the right foot you are talking about can only do so much when you leave it in the auto version. The shift ups with the accelerator pedal will happen when the engine decides to shift up with the revs. This is particularly dangerous if you are attempting a quick overtake on a two lane road with no divider. If the transmission shifts to a higher cog in the middle you will lose momentum/speed and put yourself in a very dangerously awkward position. Trust me you cannot modulate the A pedal that much.

Paddle shifters (even the triptronic gear shifter for that matter) can never become redundant if you want the best of both worlds - an automatic and a manual in one car. Driving the car in D there can be no gear checking like you would in a manual with clutch and your sole dependency would be the brakes. For higher speeds this makes things dangerous.

Put the car in S mode (particularly for the Honda Civic) which makes it a manual mode if you use the paddle shifters. Then just drive like you would a manual, shift gears at the red line (if you choose) and control the speed/gear check the car like you would with a normal stick shift without the botheration of a clutch. It’s invaluable for better high speed control and pleasure.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks