Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2011, 16:58   #376
BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics: Next Generation Tata Safari(Pg 8 for new pics)

I was inquiring about Tata Safari GX 4x4 at Concorde motors Bangalore.

The model is discontinued. Not believing them, I went to Prerna Motors @ lalbagh - got a similar answer. THe Prerna guy seeing my 'Team BHP' stickers came outside as I was about to drive out. He called territory sales manager Praveen, who also said that Tata Motors have sent a notice that they will be discontinuing EX 4x4 and GX 4x4.

4x4 is available on only VX models.

If this means the new Tata Safari 2011 is around the corners I am very happy. If any of you do have any info of the launch dates, it would help me wait
Old 29th January 2011, 20:53   #377
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the SAFARI ads for vehicles that are being sold off at 7.75 lakhs, looks like TATA is getting rid of the old stock of SAFARIs. The new one is surely round the corner
Old 31st January 2011, 15:23   #378

Amen to that!!

Quote:

May be with some improve fit and finish mainly plastics. Like ARIYA.

Please TATA do something for your QC. We can leave with those plastics...but want a stable, reliable work horse.

you have bought JLR..can you please... please...learn from them mainly about QC.
Or another option is there just start all the TATA vechile QC check with JLR QC division only.(No Offence, My opinion only)[/quote]
Old 31st January 2011, 18:15   #379
BHPian

I am juggling between the Merlin, Mahindra 201 and All new Safari threads. Desperately looking for when do these get launched. I plan to get a 7 seater diesel 4X4 SUV by this year end and these 3 products are strong contenders. My guess is we will see the Merlin getting launched first then the Mahindra W201 and then the All new Safari. Common Tata and Mahindra let the products out soon.
Old 31st January 2011, 19:41   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@the_VTEC_guy. I think Merlin is your best bet as it is a refreshed version of an already proven platform. The Mahindra W201 is an all new platform from Mahindra who have not experimented with this type of stuff before, so I personally would wait a year or two before they iron out the teething issues. Besides the Mahindra W201 is a Front wheel drive soft roader without a transfer case.

The all new Safari is a couple of yeas away.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:58   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

The all new Safari is a couple of yeas away.
IS that true? I was expecting New Tata Safari to launch in 2011 somewhere in middle. IF you can cite some reliable source I would believe you. I am patiently been delaying purchasing the Bull for sometime now.

If that is the case I would perhaps venture into buying a used safari.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:52   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@droolingvoyager. What is due in 2011 is the Merlin. There has been no sightings, reports on the all new Safari platform yet. There are some insiders who have posted news on this and other safari threads.
Old 1st February 2011, 14:30   #383
Senior - BHPian

I wonder when the Merlin will finally show up (if at all)......my closest contact has denied knowledge of any launch in the next three months at least

Last edited by suman : 1st February 2011 at 14:31.
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:06   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I wonder when the Merlin will finally show up (if at all)......my closest contact has denied knowledge of any launch in the next three months at least

something certainly is brewing, since i see tata safari add (nice one coming out of mush) on star movies and HBO. When I inquire about safari @ dealer all they point me is Aria. "Sir, Why don't you look at Aria".

No EX/GX 4x4 is very fishy.

I am getting a April 2009 Safari, done 16K @ 9L - its a 4x4, is it a good price? (mind it this in Bangalore). I am going to do a TD this week. Please advise.
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:32   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post
I am getting a April 2009 Safari, done 16K @ 9L - its a 4x4, is it a good price? (mind it this in Bangalore). I am going to do a TD this week. Please advise.
What is the version ? From the price I think it may be Vx 4x4 with 2.2L DICOR engine. If this the case, then it is from the initial batch of Safaris of this model, so do check the service history (particularly for repairs under warranty) before making a final decision.
Old 3rd February 2011, 04:58   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
What is the version ? From the price I think it may be Vx 4x4 with 2.2L DICOR engine. If this the case, then it is from the initial batch of Safaris of this model, so do check the service history (particularly for repairs under warranty) before making a final decision.
its a EX version from april 2009.
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:55   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
I am juggling between the Merlin, Mahindra 201 and All new Safari threads.
I am not sure whether you should wait at all. All these three vehicles are at different price points.

The so called all new Safari is simply an all new SUV. It is not a Safari and will compete against the 201 at +/- Aria price levels. That platform is too sophisticated to come at 8 lakhs. The Safari Merlin will remain at the current Safari level. So it all depends on the budget.

Last edited by Trapezio : 3rd February 2011 at 07:56.
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:48   #388
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's a bad deal at 9L - Should be close to 7L for EX 4X4, a VX 4X4 from 2009 should come in around 8.5L

Safari's are great vehicles but depreciate fast. Buying preowned I would recommend that you get a GX or VX only as they are the best deals around.

the 2.2 was introduced towards end of 2007 so 2008 mid onwards models are a safe buy and can be yours for 6-7L depending on the variants.

Getting back to the Merlin - From all reports - It is likely to replace the existing range completely in 3-6 months time in the current price band with the new safari coming in 2012 after mahindra 201 and be priced aount 1-2L less than the Aria with the Merlin also continuing.
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:17   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In that case the offer price is too high, even though it has just completed 16K. You should settle anything between 7L to 7.5L and that too when significant duration for current insurance is remaining.
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:11   #390

Got some info from a very very reliable source....

1) The Merlin will be out by June End
2) Price range will be 10-13 lacs for all models

some disheartening news though... friend of mine also confirmed that the front isvery "sumo-ish" and the back resembles a banged up indica .... am not sure of the last bit though ......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks