Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 17:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
To summarize, I believe the i10 is a bad-looking, overpriced car with average features for the price and a good engine and a nice gearshift. Now give me reasons to buy it at the price that it commands.
Simple answer is dont buy. .

But seriously, you should never buy a car if you aren't convinced.

As you yourself said, looks are subjective. To me the A-Star is ugly and cramped, Estilo is weird and ugly and cramped and Ritz is ugly but at least nice otherwise. WagonR is a matchbox on wheels. Swift definitely looks good and drives good, but feels cramped. Interiors of i10 are better build and have better plastics than any of the Maruti cars in the above list. I will agree that i10 is not a great looker - but to many, including me its looks decent.

And that frankly is the reason is sells more than any of those cars in the above list. As a matter of fact a much higher priced i20 beats almost all cars in the above list in sales except Swift.
Old 8th July 2010, 17:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Simple answer is dont buy. .

But seriously, you should never buy a car if you aren't convinced.

As you yourself said, looks are subjective. To me the A-Star is ugly and cramped, Estilo is weird and ugly and cramped and Ritz is ugly but at least nice otherwise. WagonR is a matchbox on wheels. Swift definitely looks good and drives good, but feels cramped. Interiors of i10 are better build and have better plastics than any of the Maruti cars in the above list. I will agree that i10 is not a great looker - but to many, including me its looks decent.

And that frankly is the reason is sells more than any of those cars in the above list. As a matter of fact a much higher priced i20 beats almost all cars in the above list in sales except Swift.
He he robin, this is an interesting perspective from you. I think the A-star and Estilo look better.
Still, I don't feel interior quality is so amazing that we have to settle for it.Interiors are as good if not better on a Ritz. Even that is subjective.If beige interiors are the point, Spark is as good if not better. I still don't find a convincing answer. I would never buy an i10 as mentioned earlier. But for the sake of a debate, I still don't find anything special in it for people to go crazy about it.

And - remember speaking to you months before - on the Fiesta that is. I remember you were looking out for a car for your wife, a powerful one especially.
Rather surprising you went for an i10. So what was the deal clincher?

Last edited by rpmx1000 : 8th July 2010 at 17:41. Reason: corrections
Old 8th July 2010, 18:03   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He he robin, this is an interesting perspective from you. I think the A-star and Estilo look better.
Still, I don't feel interior quality is so amazing that we have to settle for it.Interiors are as good if not better on a Ritz. Even that is subjective.If beige interiors are the point, Spark is as good if not better.
Its all subjective yaar! Your good looks may not be my good looks. And as i said, we have our own choices. These are very subjective matters. Spark is really not in the same category. Beat is - but we did not want to buy a Chevy.

Quote:
I still don't find a convincing answer. I would never buy an i10 as mentioned earlier. But for the sake of a debate, I still don't find anything special in it for people to go crazy about it.
And thats quite alright. My intention was not to convince you - but to say people have different choices. Seriously, i meant it when i said dont buy a car you aren't convinced about.

Quote:
And - remember speaking to you months before - on the Fiesta that is. I remember you were looking out for a car for your wife, a powerful one especially.
Rather surprising you went for an i10. So what was the deal clincher?
yep, i remember our discussion . Short answer: wife preferred a new car. So out went used car options. In the new cars i10 was her first choice after drive. It helped that i10 was substantially cheaper than Swift.

A long answer is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...hronicles.html

Last edited by SkyWalker : 8th July 2010 at 18:06.
Old 8th July 2010, 21:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Estilo is weird and ugly and cramped
Estilo and cramped? You need to get into one to know that it is as spacious as the Wagon R, as it is based on the same platform. (Not the blue eyed boy)

Quote:
Interiors of i10 are better build and have better plastics than any of the Maruti cars in the above list.
Valid point.

Quote:
As a matter of fact a much higher priced i20 beats almost all cars in the above list in sales except Swift.
As per May '10 reports, the i20 is nowhere in the 'Top 10 models sold' list. While the matchbox on wheels, (as you quoted), ranks number 4 on that list.
Old 8th July 2010, 22:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

Glad to hear that they are moving away from the beige interior, because I personally prefer black/gray interiors. Also hope they make some changes to the gearing (particularly 1st and 2nd gear), I felt that the change from 1st to 2nd gear could be more linear/smooth.

I think i10 is an excellent city car, does its job with no fuss and doesn't pretend to be what it is not. Reliable, comfortable, chuckable, classy looks compared to the competition, classy interiors, feature-filled. Light steering too that makes parking and U-turns easy. In fact I found the only car more chuckable around the city than i10, is Santro. What i10 doesn't try to be is a highway car, so it is not fair to judge it based on cornering, high-speed stability (it is a tall boy after all), boot space and steering feedback.

In a sense, it is the opposite of Palio/Punto. If I had a good budget, I would have an i10 for city runs and a Punto for highway trips .

Last edited by rajushank84 : 8th July 2010 at 22:58.
Old 9th July 2010, 05:45   #51
Senior - BHPian

Wow pretty strong comments being traded!
Personally I would like to see electronic ORVMs, FATC, Alloys and better tires in the top variant of i10 facelift. I do miss these in my i10.

@rajushank84 - i10 with upgraded wheels/tires does handle nicely on highways (albeit one should not play around with the top speed over 110-120 kmph ).
Old 9th July 2010, 05:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
As per May '10 reports, the i20 is nowhere in the 'Top 10 models sold' list. While the matchbox on wheels, (as you quoted), ranks number 4 on that list.
Agree - my mistake. I overlooked WagonR while i was writing that. In fact, WagonR used to be the 2nd most selling model before i10 beat it to the #2 slot (this was after 800 stopped being 1st and then 2nd). It still sells ~9k a month.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 9th July 2010 at 05:55.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:45   #53
BHPian

Wishlist

Hmmm so could we list everything till now
(List not in the order of importance/seriousness of improvements)
1) Electric ORVMs
2) FATC
3) Better tires(and not skinny ones, preferably not MRF!,175/70/R13??)
4) Brown/dark interiors instead of Beige
5) Better rear suspension(biggest improvement needed here)
6) Hydraulic Power Steering( EPS too light for some, isn't it?)
7) How about Airbags/ABS made part of Sportz model itself?(Not optional, it may be made optional for rest of the models, taking into consideration the cost factor)
8) Importantly, better gear ratios?
9) Short throw gearbox?
10) Better sound insulation.

He he he all this would make it perfect 10! But i wonder how much of these would be really taken up
Old 9th July 2010, 11:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
1) Electric ORVMs
2) FATC
7) How about Airbags/ABS made part of Sportz model itself?(Not optional, it may be made optional for rest of the models, taking into consideration the cost factor)
9) Short throw gearbox?

He he he all this would make it perfect 10! But i wonder how much of these would be really taken up
Add Driver seat height adjustment as well. The seats are too low (I dont know if i10 is a tallboy but I cannot see the hood at all from my seat and it is a problem sometimes while parking close to the divider). Also another welcome change would be providing at least one cup holder that can accomodate your standard 1L bisleris and Aquafinas. They can also do well to change the shoddy (read kiddish) looking music system that comes standard in Sportz+ models. I wish manufacturers would simply do away with factory fitted music systems (at least on cars this side of 10lacs.) They are not all that great and in some cases (e.g. Hyundai, Honda etc) warranties are voided if you try to change them. I wish they would simply leave a provision for 1-din/2-din system and people can just fit in whatever they like there! I am sure we are being overcharged for that music system by the car companies! To give you a perspective, when I bought my i10 Sportz the price differential between Sportz and Magna model was about 45k. The only difference in the two models was factory fitted music system, defogger and rear wiper. Now what are defogger and rear wiper worth? I was really too stupid to go for Sportz model. Should have gone for Magna and saved 45k. But these things you realise later when the folly has been commited!!!
Old 9th July 2010, 11:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Electric ORVMs
2) FATC
9) Short throw gearbox?

I think we are getting carried away with our wishlists.

While it is reasonable to expect things like ACC, electric ORVMs, better tyres, alloys, ABS standard (in Sportz variant) etc.

But wishing for change in gearbox, gear ratios, HPS instead of EPS - I feel this is asking too much from a facelift. I can't recall any car facelift having such drastic changes.

We have to accept the fact that there is no perfect car. Because if that was the case, there won't be any competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Add Driver seat height adjustment as well. The seats are too low (I dont know if i10 is a tallboy but I cannot see the hood at all from my seat and it is a problem sometimes while parking close to the divider).
Driver seat height adjustment would be welcome, especially for ladies and short drivers. But I don't find i10's seats to be low (I am average height). i10 can be called a semi tall boy.

Hood is not visible from the driver's seat in most modern small cars. You have to use judgement for parking.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 9th July 2010 at 11:32.
Old 9th July 2010, 11:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

I wish the new i10 has non-beige interiors - at least as an option.
Also, the lower end response of the Kappa needs to be tweaked a little, even if it means sacrificing a bit of the top end, since most of the i10 buyers are predominantly city commuters.
I like the steering feel and i think it should not be reverted to HPS. On the gearbox, i felt gear throws to be a little long and slightly notchy. Would appreciate a smoother gearbox (actually the Santro Gearbox feels much better to operate), with short throws.
Most importantly, Hyundai needs to improve the rear ride quality. It is quite bumpy, a suspension rework is what is required.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

My Wish List:
Pls get rid of those irritating Beige interiors (Atleast in Dash, as reflections in windshield is causing concerns)
Rattling behind steering column - get that right
Better tires is a Must
Tune it for better city driving and reasonable mileage figures in city.(Who cares if its top speed is 150 km/h or 160 km/h ? Nobody is gonna take there it there, Give us acceleration instead)
Old 9th July 2010, 15:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:

2) FATC
Sorry, i did'nt quite get (genuinely curious!!!) what FATC meant..
Quote:
9) Short throw gearbox?
Did'nt i10 already have a short-throw gearbox? I mean probably you could
ask for a paddle-shifter(since the car already had an AT)..THAT would be a real hit, I say. Like the Micra's driver airbag standard in base model and start-stop button.
Old 9th July 2010, 15:48   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, i did'nt quite get (genuinely curious!!!) what FATC meant..
FATC - Fully Automatic Temperature Control. It is also called as Automatic Climate control

Quote:
Did'nt i10 already have a short-throw gearbox?
Not as short as the one in Ritz/Swift i think.
Old 9th July 2010, 15:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did'nt i10 already have a short-throw gearbox? I mean probably you could
ask for a paddle-shifter(since the car already had an AT)..THAT would be a real hit, I say. Like the Micra's driver airbag standard in base model and start-stop button.
No, i10's gearbox doesn't have short throw. The throws are quite long.

Try comparing with cars like Swift, A-Star, Santro etc and you will see the difference.

Paddle shifter in a small car, now that would be a first. (You have a great sense of humour)

Rohan
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks