Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2005, 18:46   #31

Rattling noise in indica.. :(. no mattter wat the service guys do.. bangalore roads make sure the car rattles from every corner inside.. thats more about roads but when they make cars for "INDIAN CONDITIONS" they should put in better quality.
Old 7th December 2005, 18:47   #32
BHPian

More than just cars! Policy..

I agree with sbasak.. Most of this is due to the high excise duty on vehicles. The Indian govt has to do a few things..

a) by dropping the interest rate, cars/motorcycle population has gone up - so by the same norms, if they drop the excise duty, they will actually make more money as the number of cars will go up. More cars means more revenue for the petroleum ministry..

b) Ensure safety norms based on performance/speed capability
- Seat Belts, ABS, Airbags for vehicles that are > defined BHP..

c) The roads - (in europe year on year the number of road fatalities drop - except italy ;-).. ). We need to ensure less crossings across highways, what vehicles can ply on them etc..

d) Increase public transport access - especially to city centre areas and possibily tax people if they come with vehicles as they do in London/Singapore.

e) Strict laws to scrap vehicles that are not roadworthy (a good number of them will be recycled, keeping the total population of vehicles in check) and makes it safer for all of us.

I can keep going on....!!!!
Old 7th December 2005, 18:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Safari Dicor
Either "What Car" or "Parker's Guide" (I can't remember exactly) of UK summed up Safari in just one sentence.

Tata makes wonderful hammers
Old 7th December 2005, 18:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
Either "What Car" or "Parker's Guide" (I can't remember exactly) of UK summed up Safari in just one sentence.

Tata makes wonderful hammers

I wouldnt trust the white man's word on anything not European or American. I work with them, so I know. Indians who nod eagerly in agreement with their condenscending tone about our own country's products have no self respect. Strong words, but I hate it when my country/countrymen/products are being derided by foreigners and our own people applaud.

Do you think they give a hoot about what WE say about THEIR products? No. We're the only country in the world that STILL looks westwards for appreciation.

But you know what? I love the Safari - it evokes more (EDIT: Positive) emotions in me that that stupid Mondeo that I'm stuck with here.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th December 2005 at 19:07.
Old 7th December 2005, 19:13   #35
BHPian

Sorry steeroid, I didn't mean to offend you
But, it's true that European/American's don't really consider any Indian car as good as per their standard. I've never seen any Safari in UK roads so far, but I did see many Altos & WangoRs. I don't know if they are all imported from India but Top Gear magazine described Alto as "Indian built cheap supermini - reliable but lags behind rivals...."
Old 7th December 2005, 19:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Dude, you're welcome to your own opinions but quoting a firang on a car made here is ridiculous.

Arrey, if we can make our own cars here and send our own rockets to space the least you can do is FORM YOUR OWN OPINION. Why quote a foreigner?
Old 7th December 2005, 19:29   #37
BHPian

I do agree with you. The tragedy is that except Bajaj, Tata and Mahindra all other Indian cars are still based on foreign cars! Even in those cases, the engines' designs are mostly borrowed from Europeans/Japanese (it's Cummings for Tata etc)!
Old 7th December 2005, 19:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
I do agree with you. The tragedy is that except Bajaj, Tata and Mahindra all other Indian cars are still based on foreign cars!
What do you expect for a population thats besotted with anything foreign - from the cars themselves to opinions???

If we dont show respect for our own products, how would you expect a foreigner to? If you kick your dog at home and generally treat it like trash, do you seriously expect someone from outside to be scared of it?

This country is your MOTHERLAND. Would you quote your neighbour on what he thinks of your mother?????

I'm getting a bit carried away with all this **** - this is NOT the topic so lets revert to the discussion.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th December 2005 at 19:40.
Old 7th December 2005, 19:52   #39
DRC
BHPian

Petra1.6EL

This is a great love/ hate question...

And in a Fiat filled forum I did not see one on Petra...

Hate:
Dated interiors
Visibility issues due to A pillar
Rattling (BTW, I also have rattles in my rented Merc A160, brand new), So I am not the only one..

Love:
100bhp raw power,
Solid build.
Smooth Gears
Old 7th December 2005, 20:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia...
1.AC is a bit too loud, wn in 2+ fan speeds
2.Rear seat is too vertical, didn't have a prob with leg space
3.Only a stupid cassette play from Blaupunk and 2speakers came as stock
4.No ABS, no EBD, no TC no xenon headlamps...a few thing like this just go on.

But still i love the car, nice simple lines, very comfy and stable on the highway. Very easy to drive in despite its size
Old 7th December 2005, 20:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

OHC VTEC: 1) Poor low end torque.....nothn new!!!
2) Poor rear suspension. Throws the car all over the place beyond 140kph.
3) Body rattling, not much but just perfect to get on to ones nerves.
4) Traction problem even with 1 size upgrade over stock...feels like driving on ice at higher speeds and launches make you look amateurish!!!
5) Not so good power steering, kinda stiff and bad recoil.....my alto has better ones.
6) Poor ingear acceleration.....nhc vtec is terraffic.
7) INSANE POWER!!!
Old 7th December 2005, 22:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]OHC 1.5
Softy suspension bottoms out while going over speed bumps
Too much body roll
Interior kinda drab 80s look.
Engine is a jewel.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 7th December 2005, 23:11   #43
Team-BHP Support

Hmm lemme see, there is not much to like in a NA indica(Except the space and FE) but the biggest grouse
1. Performance
2. Gearshift
3. The silencer mountings are poor poor quality
Old 8th December 2005, 00:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

1. A lot of people don't like the looks. The OHC looks better front and back, but the Baleno's profile is lovely. Reminds me of a Jag or Aston.

2. Drab interiors could have been better designed and better quality.

3. Stock tyres could have been better.

4. ABS...never really felt the need (thank God) but it would be nice.

5. The gearshift SUCKS. Period. The car is great inspite of the gearshift, not because like some others.

6. As bad as the shifter is the pathetic fuel gauge. It is off pace most of the time, and downright untruthful sometimes.
Old 8th December 2005, 01:41   #45
BHPian

Baleno:

1. Very Boring interiors. Grey,grey and more grey!

2.Notchy 5th Gear(gets much better with use though)

3.Tiny Mudflaps.(what was Maruti thinking?) I get mud everywhere after a long journey.

4. Stock headlights are not so great in the night on the highways.

5. Fuel Gauge..seems to go down after the car is left at rest for a period of time.

Overall i am very satisfied with the car.It's worth every INR i paid and more!

Last edited by imjimmy : 8th December 2005 at 01:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks