Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 07:17   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My 2 bits basis my having used my Garmin extensively abroad and in India.

Our country is so vast and so dynamic - even something which may be relatively simple abroad like PIN Code Mapping is a humongous task here!

And other than the Cities/ Towns, main National Highways and some State Highways, the more rural places are not covered too well by Geo Satellite Mapping.

Even the much vaunted "last mile navigation" is quite a challenge here in India, considering regular and unplanned/ unannounced and sudden road works, electrical works, changes in street names, house numbering systems and then, sometimes even natural havoc like landslides or floods etc etc.

Anywhere abroad if you deviate from your pre-mapped out route just to take a scenic drive because you like the look of the turn off that you may see, then the machine is very easily able to quickly recalibrate itself, recalculate the route and suggest alternative routes to you.

Here, the machine itself gets dazed and confused at times, even in cities like Bangalore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I am using GPS navigation using my N95 (with google maps) for the last couple of years. So far done four long trips. Drove back and forth from Chennai to Hyderabad couple of months back. Haven't asked for direction to anyone in the entire trip.

But if your drive goes beyond NH and SH, better to confirm with locals as i found the routes are not accurate in couple of places. Also the map really helps in driving metros and second tier cities. I always prepare the route in my PC and will load in mobile map using the 'google layers'.
Old 12th November 2010, 18:48   #47
BHPian

My opinion. These features are only to attrack new customers.

There are lots of customers with steering noise and dash board rattles which is not addressed yet. The same can be noticed in our portal.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:51   #48
BHPian

Maps on devices have to be upgraded every year to keep them relevant. Co.s like map my india charge anywhere between 2k to 5k to upgrade to a higher map version having more + accurate details.

So other than the initial premium fixed price, this asta variant will require an yearly investment too.
Old 14th November 2010, 22:47   #49

GPS Navigation on Hyundai i20

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 16th March 2011 at 17:44.
rsdesai is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th November 2010, 11:07   #50
BHPian

I walked into 2 hyundai showrooms in chennai this weekend to check this out. The Hyundai owned Motor Plaza of all places in chennai did not even have a car with the system to demo. Even though they are going through a renovation, it was surprising that a company owned showroom in chennai of all places did not have a demo car after the press release.

It is indeed the original Asta ex showroom price + 55K. On road in chennai the price of the car goes up by around 60-65K.

I also dropped by DSC Hyundai who have been having a car with this system since last weekend and checked it out again.

Neither of the dealers have any idea when a car with this system will be available. Neither of them have a car with this system which one can test drive to check the navigation system. Both promised to call back with waiting times, with both the sales guys telling me it is likely to take time since they would be clearing stock with the original music system first. Overall, it seems really like just an experiment from Hyundai to gauge demand and they dont seem too serious about selling the system. The price only seems to substantiates that. The sales guy himself was suggesting I can get something equivalent from Garmin + maps for India for less than 20K
Old 15th November 2010, 15:26   #51
BHPian

Well then, a confirmed 55K, thank you rsramkee.
I agree with the sales guy, it's probably better to buy something from a 3rd party, like a mapmyindia unit.

Off Topic: If I were to replace the stock i20 ICE, and replace it with my own new unit, would the new unit be compatible with the existing USB/AUX ports and steering controls?
Old 15th November 2010, 21:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

This is the new device.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai launches i20 with satellite navigation-photo1383.jpg  

Hyundai launches i20 with satellite navigation-photo1384.jpg  

sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2010, 23:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Nifty addition by Hyundai!
Time for others to play catch up now.
I guess the center aligned horizontal notch below the touchscreen is the SD card slot.
Old 16th November 2010, 02:31   #54
BHPian

couldnt they make this in black .. the silver finish is so out of place on the beige. At least they oculd have worked out a rose gold colour .. silver .. cmon designers .. dont sleep during work hours !!
Old 16th November 2010, 04:09   #55
BHPian

it is bit strange that a car has in dash satellite navigation, but there is no driver information display, which provides distance to empty, average fuel consumption etc..
shame on you Hyundai....
Old 16th November 2010, 09:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
it is bit strange that a car has in dash satellite navigation, but there is no driver information display, which provides distance to empty, average fuel consumption etc..
shame on you Hyundai....
Completely agree with you. Although the export units have this feature hence it ain't too difficult to incorporate for domestic market.

However still looking forward to Hyundai getting the new i10 goodies in i20, namely the VTVT engine, heated ORVMs & reverse sensors. Did I miss anything?
Old 16th November 2010, 10:07   #57
BHPian

^^ Yes - A rattle-less steering (just kidding)

But yes, the VTVT in the same price would definitely add more pizazz to the i20. Heated ORVMs and reverse sensors would add to the overall cost making it costlier.
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:27   #58
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Got the prices from Hyundai India site. the i20 Asta with AVN is 56k costlier than the i20 Asta. Prices for Ahmedabad are as below:

PETROL

Model (Petrol) Ex showroom price (Rs)
i20 Asta (BS IV) 588,226
i20 Asta with AVN 644,448

i20 1.4L Asta AT (BS IV) 767,085
i20 1.4L Asta AT with AVN 828,419

DIESEL

i20 1.4 Asta (BS IV) 712,595
i20 Asta DSL with AVN 768,817
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:56   #59
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

56K is a bit too much of an excess for the built in SatNav system.

Seems to be more of a gimic considering the price, it's not going to set the sales chart on fire.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

More bells and whistles are being added, but it also has a different unintended impact. As a potential buyer, I am concerned of the increasing feature list in the i20 - I may end up with a model that some features that I do not want, and there would be newer version with some features that I do want. In essence, I end up postponing my purchase. Also, do you think it may impact the resale value in some way as some of the earlier versions may be considered 'basic'?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks