Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 09:30   #766
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
What I do not want Tata to do is do the same mistake they did with Indica Vista.
According to me if they are changing something around 40% of exteriors and interiors then they better give it a new name and launch it as a new product.
Its better they dont adopt confused strategy a la Indica Vista. where Indica was added at first then later almost removed. Better name it differently if the car is different.
The name will be Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Is it just me or is there any one else who thinks that this break in the body line is hideous!

Laziness of part of the design department, anyone?
Well there are many SUV's with this cut in the cladding to get the Fuel Cap in, including among others the Hyundai Terracam. It's just a way of designing - nothing lazy about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Dash Looks very un-inspiring, dull, and cheap (chinese) design especially the side a/c vents are 90's design.

If this is the final production dash design, Tata should be priced very well south of 10L .
We all do know for sure that the soon to be released Safari will be priced upwards (northwards) of the current one, and that is expected for all newer cars of all brands.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 11:02   #767
BHPian

Further sources claiming that launch is delayed to Auto Expo in Jan. DARN!
Old 7th September 2011, 11:08   #768
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Before everyone starts commenting on the Interiors, one can get to see the Merlin at Concorde Motors- Bangalore.
Does the dashboard you saw match the pic that has been posted? What changes did you notice?
Old 7th September 2011, 11:11   #769
Senior - BHPian

pavan, any idea on the expected price?
Old 7th September 2011, 12:44   #770
BHPian

Not sure if these pics were posted earlier, so posting it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-tatasafarimerlin.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-tatasafarimerlin1.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-tatasafarimerlin3.jpg  

throttleking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 13:04   #771
BHPian

From the above pictures, looks it has awesome road presence. Hope it is launched soon.

Small observation, why are the back door hinges are protruding out, is it common design.

Last edited by arun_kun : 7th September 2011 at 13:07.
Old 7th September 2011, 14:49   #772
BHPian

Looks like HIDs. With this camouflage it is now more clear how the bonnet has a sizeable vertical portion like the Discovery where the bonnet meets the grill.

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2011 at 15:25. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares. It results in a formatting error.
Old 7th September 2011, 14:51   #773
Senior - BHPian

I like the front looks, in my opinion it looks better than the current one. More aggressive. Also on the headlamps it seems like HID's do correct me if i am wrong. Have been reading this thread for last few months and eagerly awaiting the launch same as others. Hopefully it hits the market before my patience runs out.

Just managed to go through some of the previous postings on interior pics, they surely looks a class apart.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 7th September 2011 at 14:53.
Old 7th September 2011, 15:00   #774
BHPian

on the 3rd picture there seems to be another vehicle camouflaged (Bottom left of the picture)
Old 7th September 2011, 15:03   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The name will be Safari
ACM,
Dont think you got my point, I know the name will be Safari.
But what I am trying to say is I am assuming the changes they will do to the car will be minimal and thats why they are retaining the name.

If they are making a major overhaul, they would be doing a blunder by retaining the name Safarai. Instead they should have rather given it a new name.

Of course we will understand how far this is true only after we see the vehicle and compare the changes that they have done,.
Old 7th September 2011, 15:49   #776
Distinguished - BHPian

In the 2nd camouflaged pic,it looks more like the new LC Prado though the front grille mesh look horrible
Old 7th September 2011, 16:25   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
In the 2nd camouflaged pic,it looks more like the new LC Prado though the front grille mesh look horrible
exactly my thoughts. from that picture, i don't like the front part at all. the current Safari has a better stance and look than that test mule. i hope the end product is better looking.
Old 7th September 2011, 16:27   #778
Senior - BHPian

Having seen the undisguied Merlin, I for one was hugely disappointed. the Merlin looks front heavy now and is disproportionate.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 7th September 2011 at 16:28.
Old 7th September 2011, 21:01   #779
BHPian

A few words from the Bastion of Style, Italy

If I understand correctly, the (Son of Old Safari) Merlin will replace Old safari, until New Safari comes along.

This means that (IIRC) the first Merlins will be better equipped than the later Merlins, in order to give room for the NEW SAFARI.

BUT

Whereas Merlin will be essentially based on Old Safari, New Safari will be based on ARIA => more SUV style (no low egars?) and no more "macho performance".

This is where TML has got it all wrong.

The Merlin should have been badged Safari - because that's what it is, a Safari with a facelift and a few improvements which were long due, at least in Europe.

The "all new" Safari should have been given a new name altogether, such as Merlin or whatever,. because it WILL be a totally new car.

Add to this that, in Europe, the Safari was taken off the market on 31 december last year, because TML couldn't comply with the new "Euro5" emission standards, and you see tragedy coming.

You DO NOT present a new car, with all the bells and whistles, and then downgrade the trimmings to make way for a new model.
Quite the opposite, you start "low&new" and gradually include extras as standard, until you have all the trimmings as part of the basic package.
Else, discerning buyers will prefer a 2-year old Merlin to the new model because they don't want to pay extra for what was standard 2 years ago, and sales go out the window, not through the roof.

Get my point ?

I drive my 3.0 TDi Safari as my daily commute, then swap wheels for offroad tyres and go cross/country, then refit the floorboards and take my mother in law to the shopping mall... so I do all I can with my 3.0 115hp TDi.

If I were ever to buy the Merlin, I want something completely new, improved and better, not just fatter plastic bumpers and new stalk switches.

I consider myself smarter than that...

Where's that V6 200hp engine everybody's so excited about ?
Rear wheel disc brakes ?
6-speed manual transmission ?
5-speed auto'box ?
Will there be a 2nd air conditioner for the rear seats, as in the very first production run of the 2.0 TD Safari ?
Headlamp washers ?

Are Tata considernig to offer an "Overland" option, for more rugged driving ? Such as :
- improved suspension
- permanent 4x4 (with a real differential, not a viscous coupling)
- improved high/low range (how about "low on the fly"?)
- hand-wound windows and no immobilizer, but dual battery and air filter fitted to snorkel
- winch
- taller tyres to improve ground clearance

Just look at what people buy on the European market, see how we customize our offroaders !

mpescatori is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 21:12   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpescatori View Post
A few words from the Bastion of Style, Italy
Now thats a die hard Safari lover from across the seven seas!

iam expecting a lot improvement of mehcanicals on the Merlin. i intend to buy myself a Merling.

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2011 at 15:20. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post; a long quote inconveniences our mobile users
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks