Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2011, 21:41   #826
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Discussions are off on tangents right now with launch dates varying between now and auto expo next year.

Historically TATA show new look vehicles at Auto Expo but launches them for sales just before Diwali (Aria, Dicore 2.2 etc.)

Historically TATA does not wait for M&M and to some extent loose out with M&M coming out with more aggresive and acceptable pricing though the for the same price possibly the TATA products in the past would have held an edge. (Peace)

M&M may have the edge with what they have to offer with XUV500 / W201 but aren't segments different for all of the options coming up. Each vehicle has space for itself, provided it matches the value the the audience desires.

All want to compete with the Fortuner and maybe the efforts are really good but will the brand image ever be beaten even if quality + Spec combo is twice as good overall?

Last edited by ACM : 10th September 2011 at 21:46.
Old 10th September 2011, 22:02   #827
BHPian

A question on timing the purchase: After many a test-drives, I had locked in the Safari Gx as the wheels to buy. 12 L being the absolute stretch for my budget. The anticipation of launch poses critical questions, which I'm outlining. Hopefully collective wisdom will come to the rescue: I've been told by the TML guys that Merlin is not meant to replace the Safari, as Himanshu Goswami points out it will be at a higher price bracket and will be at the Yeti bracket. So my focus is really the supposed 'facelift' Safari: 1. I'm certain on 2 things: 12L budget and Safari with ABS... if there is a facelift version, will it essentially be at a higher price bracket? Any rule of thumb on the mark-up range? 2. If there is a new facelift launch, would it largely imply changes in looks and interiors (fit and finish)? Or would it go further and get into the engine, clutch, other niggles which are common in a Safari? 3. Does a facelift launch translate into a chunky discount on the older version? (my brother just bought the older Jetta with a substantial discount cuz the new facelift was getting launched) 4. Any inkling on the timing of the launch?Please advise. Cheers!
Old 10th September 2011, 22:43   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpescatori View Post
If Merlin proves to be the credible 4x4 it claims to be and a worthy replacement to the Safari, I'll consider it.
Highly unlikely..... From the reports trickling in, Merlin will have an on-demand 4x4 like the Aria and not a proper low range gearbox. So it will only be slightly more capable than Aria thanks to its better GC
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 23:19   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Highly unlikely..... From the reports trickling in, Merlin will have an on-demand 4x4 like the Aria and not a proper low range gearbox. So it will only be slightly more capable than Aria thanks to its better GC
Woah! Now that's a major change, and is going to depress all those waiting for a more reliable 4x4 Safari replacement/option. And I thought the Aria's GC is the same (in Pride at least) as the Safari's?

But why would they do that unless they are pulling out of the 4x4 scene completely? This would make the Merlin a true softroader. Sad.
VeluM is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 08:37   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inomad View Post
A question on timing the purchase: After many a test-drives, I had locked in the Safari Gx as the wheels to buy. 12 L being the absolute stretch for my budget. The anticipation of launch poses critical questions, which I'm outlining. Hopefully collective wisdom will come to the rescue: I've been told by the TML guys that Merlin is not meant to replace the Safari, as Himanshu Goswami points out it will be at a higher price bracket and will be at the Yeti bracket. So my focus is really the supposed 'facelift' Safari: 1. I'm certain on 2 things: 12L budget and Safari with ABS... if there is a facelift version, will it essentially be at a higher price bracket? Any rule of thumb on the mark-up range? 2. If there is a new facelift launch, would it largely imply changes in looks and interiors (fit and finish)? Or would it go further and get into the engine, clutch, other niggles which are common in a Safari? 3. Does a facelift launch translate into a chunky discount on the older version? (my brother just bought the older Jetta with a substantial discount cuz the new facelift was getting launched) 4. Any inkling on the timing of the launch?Please advise. Cheers!
1) If you are talking about 12L OTR pricing, then, I dont think you can get a Merlin [be it a base version] with it. So, you are left with the existing Safari GX.

2) I think, Yeti is of 17L/18L price range. I am sure, Merlin wouldnt be in that price bracket.

3) Dont expect any change with Safari's engine. Its the best one thats doing its prompt service in existing Safari, Aria and the forthcoming Merlin.

4) Safari 2.2 never ever had niggles with its engine/clutch [exceptions may exist], but its a proven one. It was always a fit & finish issue which is almost good in most aspects in the current 2.2 variant [post 2010 face lift] that came with dual tone steering wheel, dual tone seat covers, more chrome outside, etc ...

5) As far as we know there is no minor/major face-lift planned for Safari. Its only the Merlin coming up, all tuned for it.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 09:28   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got the news from another fairly reliable source in the TML sales channel. The Merlin is indeed slated for auto expo launch....DAMN!
I am not very sure. Some media event is planned for October...
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 09:45   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I am not very sure. Some media event is planned for October...
Per my info, and I could be wrong here since this info is from an owner of a TML dealership, there is a launch event planned for the Merlin around Diwali, bookings will open a month after that with deliveries commencing in Jan- the rationale is that people would not want to go in for a 2011 model in Nov/Dec so might as well give them 2012 models.
Old 11th September 2011, 10:07   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpescatori View Post
Hopefully last post before I'm out of here, I joined to provide some insight and hints to what is desired/expected in the European Market, and get told off by a university student.
Don't get put off by this blind bias my friend, we need your useful contributions here

I for one have always enjoyed your pics & stories of how the 3 liter is used to its full potential in Italy
Old 11th September 2011, 11:26   #834
BHPian

Ok guys just got news from production line guy after 2 days of shut down from yesterday merlin production has started 25 nos rolled out yesterday from today 70 nos daily are planned, also one more news front & side facing last rows would be available. so a planned 27 Sep launch is possible.
007 Bond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 11:30   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Ok guys just got news from production line guy after 2 days of shut down from yesterday merlin production has started 25 nos rolled out yesterday from today 70 nos daily are planned, also one more news front & side facing last rows would be available. so a planned 27 Sep launch is possible.
the date of launch remains the same, unchanged date of 27th sept!

TATA cant afford to wait till Delhi autoexpo 2012, since XUV5 oh oh is coming out this month, and loose 3.5 months of sales to XUV5 oh oh!
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 12:04   #836
Senior - BHPian

Contrary to what the rear end spy pic suggested, it seems the Merlin will not have side hinged hatch, it will be top hinged like the innova
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 12:07   #837
Senior - BHPian

Excellent!! So finally we have a date. Let's wait till 27th to see what is in store for us
Old 11th September 2011, 12:49   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
the date of launch remains the same, unchanged date of 27th sept!
Quote:
Contrary to what the rear end spy pic suggested, it seems the Merlin will not have side hinged hatch, it will be top hinged like the innova
Thanks guys ! Appreciate the inputs. Please keep trickling in bits & pieces for us so that we remain happy till the launch day [and hopefully after that too].

Quote:
Ok guys just got news from production line guy
Is there a way this guy could provide us some more details or a spy pic; but not at the cost of his job?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th September 2011 at 12:53.
Old 11th September 2011, 13:32   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic news. Does the 3 row seating officially claim 7 or 8 seater ?
Old 11th September 2011, 13:45   #840
BHPian

Is there a way this guy could provide us some more details or a spy pic; but not at the cost of his job?[/quote]

That would be quite difficult i will see if i myself can sneak into this.. its quite difficult but not impossible also lets see.
007 Bond is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks