Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 21:08   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

I have owned several sedans and SUVs. After driving both the Sedans and SUVs for lakhs of kms. all i have to say is- SUVs are not even half as involving to drive compared to cars of the same price. Even Sedans costing half the price feel more comfortable and composed of on open roads, For example the Fortuner isn't as comfortable as the Elantra a car that was sold for half it's price(I've owned both), the Scorpio feels much worse with boat like dynamics and ride.

But i do not deny the SUVs have an edge at bad roads and you don't have to worry about the damage to the vehicle all the time. The Go-Anywhere advantage(In case of 4WDs) is another added advantage.

I have both in my garage but my hands reach out for the car keys every time i am in a mood for a good drive or whenever i plan a long drive on highways.
Old 27th December 2010, 21:13   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The only advantage you have when on an SUV is that you can zoom past the sedans on bad roads, where the sedans would be doing 20kmph.
Incidentally, I'm curious about this. Suppose you drive the sedan over bad stretches at speed. As long as you don't scrape the belly, are you really doing any more damage to your suspension than you would be in an SUV? And given that your average sedan is more comfortable over bad roads compared to an SUV (yes, exceptions exist but let's set that aside), it seems like win-win for the sedan driver
Old 28th December 2010, 21:49   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Incidentally, I'm curious about this. Suppose you drive the sedan over bad stretches at speed. As long as you don't scrape the belly, are you really doing any more damage to your suspension than you would be in an SUV? And given that your average sedan is more comfortable over bad roads compared to an SUV (yes, exceptions exist but let's set that aside), it seems like win-win for the sedan driver
An SUV's huge tyres means that most potholes and bumps can be easily ignored. Not so for a sedan.
Old 28th December 2010, 22:13   #229
Senior - BHPian

^^ +1 to this.

In my Ikon, I keep guesstimating the size of potholes and approach them warily, as ignoring them has resulted in sickening thuds in the past. Not so with my Scorpio, on the bad ghat sections, particularly.
Old 28th December 2010, 22:27   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
An SUV's huge tyres means that most potholes and bumps can be easily ignored. Not so for a sedan.
But this also means constant bobbing up and down on good roads and complete absence of driving involvement.
Old 29th December 2010, 12:44   #231
BANNED

My point is the fact that India is still under construction. There is no guarantee of good roads even on the highways. There is road widening, 6 laning, road digging, cable laying etc going on at so many places that it is not possible to predict road conditions anywhere in the country.

So, for travelling over a long distance, I would prefer a vehicle with sufficient suspension travel and GC.

In the cities and on the highways, though unfortunately, might is right. Sedans are usually pushed around by auto wallahs, trucks, buses and the like. SUVs are spared this torture to some extent.

Also, if a sedan and an SUV come out after handling the same kind of roads, the damage to an SUV will be lesser than that to a sedan.

But yes, I m a stickler for FE and sedans beat SUVs big time on that factor. Also as the others have mentioned, there no comparison between the driving pleasure offered by sedans over SUVs. Seating is a matter of personal preference and I have gotten used to and hence like a higher seating position.

For me, that sums it up.
Old 29th December 2010, 18:01   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
But this also means constant bobbing up and down on good roads and complete absence of driving involvement.
Trust me, I have done 2 lakh km in my Ford Ikon and Fiesta before I got my Endy. The SUV has taken the fun in driving to an entirely new level. Whether it is the presence you enjoy in the city, the peace of mind knowing you can't be bullied around, the ability to take off road at your heart's fancy, or simply the fun of being able to take a group of 8 and go exploring, no sedan can beat this experience.
Old 29th December 2010, 19:18   #233
BHPian

And what about the new breed of vehicles, which provide near sedan like comfort, and driver involvement while matching the robustness of a SUV. For example Skoda Yeti, behaves and handles like a sedan (in fact better than many), but is far more capable at handling poor and unpaved roads (than most sedans). Similarly while it will smartly negotiate bad roads, it is more driver's car than any SUV that I have driven.

Perhaps, there is then, room to carve this niche segment, which Skoda is attempting to lead. What it needs is, more competition, better prices, and even better specs.
SushilBajpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 20:37   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Trust me, I have done 2 lakh km in my Ford Ikon and Fiesta before I got my Endy. The SUV has taken the fun in driving to an entirely new level. Whether it is the presence you enjoy in the city, the peace of mind knowing you can't be bullied around, the ability to take off road at your heart's fancy, or simply the fun of being able to take a group of 8 and go exploring, no sedan can beat this experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
For example Skoda Yeti, behaves and handles like a sedan (in fact better than many), but is far more capable at handling poor and unpaved roads (than most sedans). Similarly while it will smartly negotiate bad roads, it is more driver's car than any SUV that I have driven.
Endy and Yeti are nice cars. But look at how much you have to pay for that 80% thrill, a 5-10L sedan can provide without much sweat?
Old 30th December 2010, 14:27   #235
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about the higher end SUVs
But SUVs like Safari & Scorpio and MUVs induce a nausea with their bobbing motion.

The motion sickness aspect is present in both:
1. Good roads. You tend to drive fast. Hence bobbing and rocking when you accelerate, brake or swerve left/right.
2. Bad roads. You can't avoid the perpetual spring motion in bad roads/potholes and ghats.

IMO, after being a victim of this puking sensation, I can only hold grudge against these big vehicles.

Coupled with the fact that a direct hit with a higher vehicle is more injurious than a low slung one. Perhaps I detest them for public roads?
Old 30th December 2010, 14:49   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Both these SUV's are so softly sprung. They surely have cushioning effect on bad surfaces but the constant bobbing makes them uncomfortable. The Scorpio gets too uncomfortable at times when it hits uneven roads, the Safari is slightly better. The Fortuner with it's stiff setup has a ride which feels much better composed but lacks the extra cushion.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:49   #237
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Alpha the Safari does not cause motion sickness the way the Scoripo does.
Safari is known to have a great ride and yes it does have a bit of a boat like feel but there is no sidways movement most of the time.

It's my wife who sits in the rear with the kid and she does feel more nausious in the Laura than in the Safari over long drives. Also since the Aria has come if one takes it to be an SUV it does have the best of both worlds.

As other have said earlier Indian roads are such that even on highways one just cannot know when one is about to hit a major pothole or bump or just will need to go off road due to the roads being under construction and at times like this being in an SUV helps big time.

Even in cities a nice highend sedan is just an invitation to autos and buses to bully us and a sedan feels more secure.

I do tend to prefer an SUV over a Sedan for both highway and city driving.

Other things being equal an SUV will come out a crash better than a sedan. Assuming one is taking about sedans and suvs from the same maufacturer nullifing the technology and build quality differences.

Actually this thread should have a poll for our opinions to be documented for a mass view point getting through.

Last edited by ACM : 30th December 2010 at 14:51.
Old 30th December 2010, 15:05   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Emergency steering maneuvers in any of the SUVs(Chassis based) give me goosebumps, In the same scenario a car feels much safer. Every time i've visited a Mahindra/Tata/Ford/Toyota body shop i have observed a lot more SUVs damaged because they turned turtle compared to those who were severely hit.

Though i do not deny SUVs make a lot more sense on our rural roads.
Old 30th December 2010, 15:10   #239
Team-BHP Support

How long do the bad roads continue over a distance of 500kms on major National Highways/GQ/E-W corridor?
20? 30?

Last edited by Sheel : 30th December 2010 at 15:12.
Old 30th December 2010, 15:28   #240
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

On the Mumbai to Surat section on West to North corridor NH8 of length 265kms about 50kms are very bad from mumbai to Manor and another 100 moderately bad from manor to Vapi. There are quite horrid in the monsoon.

Even a 10 kms bad section in 200 kms of good roads will justify an SUV.

Most Viewed