Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 07:55   #286
Team-BHP Support

Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Yes, Anshuman has compared it. Its on page 4 of his ownership thread. He was mighty impressed with the Car (the Yeti that is) save for a drop in performance (?) and lack of a DSG.
I guess that’s the whole purpose of a cross-over – to provide the driving dynamics of a sedan, and practicality of an SUV.
Personally, I feel a cross-over (say Yeti), stay close to its Sedan roots more than its SUV pretentions. But unfortunately, it’s often bogged down by the burden of comparing with an SUV, and those negatives like lack of size, menacing looks, and go-anywhere capabilities come to the fore.
If you consider it for what it is meant for, you’ll feel happy about your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
IIRC, almost all the magazines went gaga over Forester's capabilities. And most preferred to refer it as the Subaru
It is indeed the Subaru Forester. Since we don’t have the brand presence in India, they decided on a different badge.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 18:48   #287
Senior - BHPian

SUV, any day, especially on unknown roads and while doing night driving. Back from a 3500 km roadtrip to the MP forests (travelogue in the travelogue section). If I were driving a sedan, I would have not completed the trip (bad bumps, potholes) etc. Also, we would have got stuck on a dirt trail in 'man killing' tiger territory with no mobile signal and no clear roads.

A tough SUV gives you a feel of security and confidence that you can handle surprises when you go on a roadtrip. Especially when traveling with a family.

Disclaimer: I do most of my driving outside the town.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:00   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Performance : Again, thanks to their lighter weight and superior aerodynamics, a sedan's acceleration will leave an SUV for dead. A Honda City will do the 0 - 100 in 10 seconds, a Vento diesel in 11 seconds.
I like sadans as far as driving pleasure is concerned and love SUV's for space, but on the point above i have driven fast and always overtake Innovas, Safaris, Scorpios (Fortuner is a different story) but never have i been able to sped away they are always able to keep up with me (Although have difficulty overtaking me). Seems like the initial pickup is better in Sedan but the top speed is higher in SUV i guess.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 27th June 2011 at 19:01.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:54   #289
BHPian

the reason why i love scorpio is because it used to get me ''Right of Way'' . Hence reaching destination was always faster , safer and fun. With the onset of monsoon i am missing it more because X1, a crossover can not wade through knee deep water which will be quite common in ncr region
Old 27th June 2011, 20:06   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Seems like the initial pickup is better in Sedan but the top speed is higher in SUV i guess.
While I would not bother about the top speed, definitely the average speed will be better in SUV since you need not slow down much on bad roads.

I remember travelling in a Scorp once and he did Bangy - Tirupati in a very decent time inspite not going beyond 80 kmph !

I was really impressed because

1. You travel at a constant speed than varying speeds which reduces traveling time

2. Better control since you are not doing insane speeds [when you choose to be around 70-80 kmph]

3. Good mileage since a better average speed maintained [A good diesel hatch / sedan can still out do an SUV on mileage front]

4. Better comfort on bad / average roads [I seriously get tired after driving thru some bad stretches [20-30 kms] while I can manage to drive another 550-570 kms of good roads without much problem.

5. Lesser pain to navigate thru pot holes.

6. More road presence which helps to reduce other vehicles bullying you !

Disclaimer :: I understand some of the points are very much subjected to the style of driving. So here I have chosen to emphasis on constant average speed which helps the min travel time. I personally remember taking more time in the same Bangy - Tirupati trip when I drove my swift due to the bad roads [please note the road conditions were similar during both trips].

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Albatross. View Post
With the onset of monsoon i am missing it more because X1, a crossover can not wade through knee deep water which will be quite common in ncr region
Doesnt the cross overs have GC equivalent to SUVs? Or is there any other factor which hinders cross overs from wading thru high level of stagnant water?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th June 2011 at 20:13.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 20:24   #291
BHPian

@ swiftnfurious - crossovers have GC more or less equivalent to the sedans than being any closer to the SUV's. they are not ready for the surprises hidden in potholes filled with water. The placement of silence , air filter or the radiator is not at a safe height as well
Old 28th June 2011, 08:21   #292
BHPian

Another point, night driving, when I drive my swift through the narrow two line state high-way the tail gating bus/tavera/sumo/bike head lights are at the same level of my rear view mirror, which results reduced visibility, similarly the opposite direction vehicle head lamps are also at the same level, which adds to reduced visibility, SUV driver's impact may be less due to the height
Old 7th October 2011, 11:22   #293

I didn't start a new thread since my question is a specific criteria inside the larger discussion.

Which vehicles (good FE & low maintenance) could be considered for an 70% usage in city, freeways, and local roads and 30% in highly uneven terrain surrounded by farm lands ?
Old 7th October 2011, 14:21   #294
BHPian

Hmmm...

I read a review by someone who bought a Skoda Superb and he was stating "Full paisa vasool" after he discovered that there is an umbrella holder embedded in the car door. This thread is similar,I believe, in many ways...

Comparing a Sedan and a SUV is in my opinion, like comparing a refrigerator magnet to an orange - in simpler terms, it is an irrelevant comparison. There are a different schools of thought that govern a decision in either of these tracks - Sedan or SUV.

To illustrate, I have a friend on T-BHP who wanted to buy a SUV. When the XUV got launched, he went bonkers. He took a test drive and confirmed that the ride comfort is beautiful and the engine feels like a Sedan rather than a SUV (in terms of acceleration). But he didn't proceed with booking the car, since he felt:

a) In 3 months, every 5th or 6th car will be an XUV
b) Somehow, it feels like neither Sedan nor SUV
c) He was concerned about owner perception

Being a Sedan guy, I didn't expect him to go for it anyways. But if I had to crystallize the thought process behind an SUV, I would state it as:

a) Strength
b) Security
c) Freedom

Note how I have not used words like "Comfort,Price,Fuel Efficiency". If I did, cars like the incredible MM540 would never feature. An SUV is never a decision made with the mind - its a product of passion, and desired from the heart. There is no such thing as a sensible SUV. But I would prefer to think of this as there is no such thing as a sedan"ish" SUV. If there is, then in my mind I eject it from SUV status.

SUVs are about a lifestyle - pure and simple. If someone has a confusion about which one to buy, here's a very, very simple suggestion:

"If you want sensibility, go for a sedan. If you have to think about an SUV purchase twice, you'll never be happy with it in the long run."

I've seen this chap in Koramangala who has a gorgeous black Hummer 2, spinning huge rims and enough lightforce to light up a stadium. Does anyone here think he bought it after thinking about Fuel Efficiency or Body Roll? Some people love the feeling of being on top of the world, and that is what an SUV provides.

And I object to the assumption that SUV owners are bullies, or buy an SUV for bully quotient. There is no marker that says "SUV = Bully". I've seen sedan owners being absolutely uncivilized on roads as well. Considering there are more Sedans on the road than SUVs, I am definite that there are more hooligans in Sedans rather than SUVs (simple statistics guys). This is a function of the owner and not the car. In my mind, I know my SUV costs a bit to maintain. Getting into a accident over another 5 inches in a traffic jam does not justify the bill. I drive a little extra carefully as a result.
Old 7th October 2011, 20:11   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy83 View Post
Hmmm...
Sorry friend. What are you trying to say? Read the post twice and still couldn't make much out of the long post.
Old 7th October 2011, 20:17   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyddicruz View Post
I didn't start a new thread since my question is a specific criteria inside the larger discussion.

Which vehicles (good FE & low maintenance) could be considered for an 70% usage in city, freeways, and local roads and 30% in highly uneven terrain surrounded by farm lands ?
If you want to traverse bad roads, forget "good FE & low maintenance". The best that comes near the criterion is a high GC hatch, some thing like Ford Fusion, or the SX4. Next you have vehicles like the upcoming Duster followed by Yeti. The other SUV are different breed and will have lower FE and need more maintenance, as they are large and heavy vehicles.
Old 9th October 2011, 10:36   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sorry friend. What are you trying to say? Read the post twice and still couldn't make much out of the long post.
No problem VB-San...to simplify, I do not believe the question of "Should I buy a Sedan or SUV?" will be answered based on comparing these altogether different platforms on a technical/comfort/mileage basis. I believe that there is nothing called a "Sensible" SUV, and the decision to life the SUV life is a decision based on feeling rather than fact.
Anarchy83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 12:50   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy83 View Post
No problem VB-San...to simplify, I do not believe the question of "Should I buy a Sedan or SUV?" will be answered based on comparing these altogether different platforms on a technical/comfort/mileage basis. I believe that there is nothing called a "Sensible" SUV, and the decision to life the SUV life is a decision based on feeling rather than fact.
IMO the thread is meant to help potential buyers to decide between an SUV and a sedan, especially when their requirements do not fall in the 2 extremes. For those who are very clear about whether they need an SUV or sedan, there is no debate required.
Old 4th November 2011, 21:10   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
IMO the thread is meant to help potential buyers to decide between an SUV and a sedan, especially when their requirements do not fall in the 2 extremes. For those who are very clear about whether they need an SUV or sedan, there is no debate required.
I am exactly in the same position & hence this thread has been a blessing in disguise for me (thanks GTO & all other friends for your contribution to this thread, could not have asked for more). Currently own an Indica DLX & wanted to upgrade to a sedan by the mid or end of 2012, when my Indica would be completing 8 years of faithful service. I was purely focussed on the good sedans & SUVs were out of contention. However a recent incident has now made me think otherwise.

Last week end, early morning (04:30am) I left my home for Nasik, car loaded with 5 adults. It was pitch dark, was cruising along smoothly @ 80-90kmph on NH50, crossed Narayangaon, Ale-Phata, when suddenly hit a bad patch. Twice the car went through deep craters (oncoming vehicles on high beam were aggravating the problem & I couldn't realize, how deep the craters were). The third hit was really a nasty one, there was a loud noise & the steering suddenly became tight. Since I was in full control I stopped within a couple of metres & took the car off the road. I knew the inevitable had happened & this was a case of tyre burst. It had 2 parallel cuts on the side wall each @ 2" wide. Had I been in a SUV with wide & bigger tyres I would have probably been able to sail thought the crater. Also had I been perched a bit higher, I could have got an idea of the depth of the pothole & avoided this horrifying experience.

I am now damn sure that if you are fond of traveling on unknown roads or love driving at night the SUV is a far better option compared to a sedan. However for the daily commute on known roads SUVs cannot beat the fuel efficiency of the sedans.

As I want to have the best of both worlds I am now inching closer to a cross over, essentially a 5 seater with decent luggage space, high ground clearance but the traits of a sedan.

The soon to be launched Renault Duster & the Ford Ecosport are now on the top of my list. I would appreciate if anyone of you can add to the above list of 2 cars. Can stretch my budget max upto 10 lacs, don't want to go beyond that.
Old 5th November 2011, 13:04   #300
Senior - BHPian

I have a slightly different view. If you are commuting alone, a small hatch is ideal in the city, and most of them cost less than 4L on the road. For highway travel I would get a proper SUV with good ground clearance and preferably with 4x4 and a transfer case. The reasons are

. For city commuting, especially when you are the only occupant, a small hatch, say an Alto K10 or an i10 or a Spark makes more sense. You have a nimble drive, with good FE. Parking is a breeze and maneuverability in crowds a bonus.

. For highway travel a proper SUV makes more sense, as you have bad roads, Craters instead of pot holes and at times you encounter high standing water. All these are helped by good ground clearance and a rugged chassis. Invariably the highway travel consists of at least 3-4 persons, so comfortable seating is a priority. Another advantage of high stance is the visibility and a bit of relief from blazing head light every one seems to be using on the highways.

My ideal combination will be an Alto K10 (which I have) and depending on finances a Scorpio or a Fortuner. If I am going to spend most of my time on extremely bad roads and hills, then a Pajero, as its cruising speed of 100 will be more, than a bad road can sustain, while its superb suspension makes a mockery of bad roads.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks