Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred footwear for driving?
Barefoot! 80 13.77%
Flip flops/Chappal/Slippers 57 9.81%
Canvas shoes 42 7.23%
Regular sports/walking shoes 310 53.36%
Leather shoes 17 2.93%
Driving shoes 53 9.12%
Other 22 3.79%
Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 15:44   #91
BHPian

Bare foot gives the best feel and easy to modulate the pressure but it is highly inconvenient and unpractical. I think bit flexible shows is the best option and it should not be having a very slippery surface.
Old 19th November 2013, 15:56   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ideal footwear for driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
You can imagine how many drivers in rickshaws, trucks, public buses or even volvos drive wearing chappals or sandals. Worst is those "Kolhapuri Chappals". They have very smooth soles and most drivers in the western parts must be using those.
There was a discussion about this earlier. Few people getting fined in Bengal and Punjab - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-slippers.html
Old 19th November 2013, 16:06   #93
Senior - BHPian

I use this pair by Woodland while driving and find them to be comfortable and easy to flick between the Accelerator and brake pedal.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal footwear for driving-untitled.jpg  

Maverick5490 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 16:31   #94
BHPian

For me its Converse Allstars. But i keep forgetting to put them on and only realise when i am half way that i should have put those one
nofear5611 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 16:34   #95
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

This thread's title says "Ideal Footwear for Driving" but beginning from the first post it has become more of "What do you wear while driving".. We could have a poll added to the thread just to get to know what most Indians wear while driving.

I hate wearing anything that doesn't fit snug on my feet. Slippers/Sandals are a no-no. Its mostly old (little worn out) flat sole Puma sneakers which are also the only kind of shoes I wear apart from when I am in the gym.

I have found that the rounded shape and good cushioning of the heel (Like the woodland shoes posted above) provides good comfort for me. Otherwise the heels start getting numb as the feet are rested on the floor-pan for a longer duration.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 16:45   #96
Senior - BHPian

For me something heavier works well for Vento and anything goes well for Civic. The heavier clutch in Vento needs something thick and strong since a softer sole bends and is inconvenient for the knees also.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 16:52   #97
Senior - BHPian

These pure suede leather driving moccasins are my current ones. They're so comfy and give excellent feel of the pedals.

Earlier the Adidas terrex jawpas were my choise but I can't find them in stock these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal footwear for driving-img20210702wa0007.jpg  

Ideal footwear for driving-img20210702wa0006.jpg  

straight6 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 17:01   #98
BHPian

Best footwear: Snug fit shoes. (I try to avoid the thick and heavy soles ones though)

Good but not great: Sandals (once the front portion got stuck on the accelerator pedal when it passed in the gap between toes and the sandal)

Worst: Slippers/flip-flops. I can't even imagine! The back portion of the slipper folds, slips and what not. Wore just once that too for few meters while parking and that was the first and last experiment. I know some people drive flawlessly with it but this is just NOT for me.

Good to feel, but not recommended: Barefoot. Too much feel of the pedal and its vibrations feeling on the feet is something that I don't like at all.
RavSam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 17:45   #99
BHPian

When I started learning driving on Premier Padmini, I felt barefoot gave me good feedback based on vibrations etc, whereas there was nothing when I wore footwear!

Now, I am fine with any footwear or even no footwear if required.
Old 8th July 2021, 17:57   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Best footwear: Snug fit shoes. (I try to avoid the thick and heavy soles ones though)
Totally agree. Snug fit, light, with thin and grippy sole would be my ideal driving shoes.

I am quite particular about my driving shoes, and I am happy that I found these:

Ideal footwear for driving-shoe2.jpg

Ideal footwear for driving-shoe1.jpg

These are the Puma Men's BMW M Motorsport Drift Cat Ultra 5 driving shoes.

Link:https://www.amazon.in/Unisex-Adult-D...=shoes&sr=1-56

I am using them for more than 2 years and they are just perfect for my needs. They are stylish, lightweight, snug fit, and offer a very nice grip on the pedals. They even have a nice curvature near at the heel portion (as you can see in the picture) and that makes them extremely comfortable for pivoting your heel while operating the pedals or even resting on the dead pedal (for the left foot).

I got them from a Puma shop. Although mine with BMW logo/brand, that does not matter. These are basically Puma shoes and available in any Puma store as well as on most online sites. Puma has a license to sell products with BMW logo. Puma has the exact same shoe with Ferrari and Mercedes logos as well, and maybe a few more brands too. So pick whatever brand/logo you like, but these shoes are amazing and worth every Rupee! When my current pair wears out, I am going to buy another pair of the exact same shoes :-)

Last edited by Dr.AD : 8th July 2021 at 18:21.
Dr.AD is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 18:13   #101
Team-BHP Support

Moderator Note: Poll added! Please vote!
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 18:20   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Totally agree. Snug fit, light, with thin and grippy sole would be my ideal driving shoes.

I am quite particular about my driving shoes, and I am happy that I found these:
I've the similar BMW-PUMA pair[carbon fiber finish] plus couple of other 'driving shoes'. But then as the name suggests these are meant for only driving. If I need to walk or even stand for some time these prove to be highly uncomfortable due to almost non-existent sole. But they look really cool!
somspaple is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 19:31   #103
BHPian

I prefer what I voted for i.e. Barefoot.
Any drive more than an hour, I prefer having with barefoot.
I feel much more relaxed than any other option I have tried till date.
For short city stints I don't take off my footwear though.

P.S. I own a Nexon and irrespective of what footwear I have, the paddles makes irritating squeaking noise (the one which new shoes does on shiny floors). That could be the reason I love driving barefoot.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 19:41   #104
BHPian

The ideal footwear to drive would be a pair of driving shoes. They give good pedal feel, have good grip, and have heel bolstering which most other shoes lack.
My preferred choice would be barefoot. The reason is that my feet get sweaty after a couple of hours. Also, I get the best pedal feel without any footwear on. I rest my entire right foot on the floor and just use my big toe for the accelerator pedal. For the brake pedal, I use the entire foot. I can control the precise amount of input to the pedals, else my driving is not as smooth, but this may be because of practise.
Old 8th July 2021, 19:45   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
I've the similar BMW-PUMA pair[carbon fiber finish] plus couple of other 'driving shoes'. But then as the name suggests these are meant for only driving. If I need to walk or even stand for some time these prove to be highly uncomfortable due to almost non-existent sole. But they look really cool!
Yes, agree. These are dedicated driving shoes. I do use them for short walks around after I get down from the car and do not find them that uncomfortable for short walks, but I agree with you that they can not be used as proper walking shoes.

Thus, when you go on a trip that requires both driving and lot of walking, these should are not good at all. Although I must admit that I love them so much for driving that I always wear them for all my driving trips even if that mean some uncomfortable time walking around if required :-)

Last edited by Dr.AD : 8th July 2021 at 20:12.
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks