Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 23:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura at Rs.11.99 Lakhs

The Classic comes with Height adjustment for driver seat (not passenger seat) and
Skoda "Blues" audio player. The front armrest and fog lamps available as accessories and the parking sensors can be added. But the rest you have no way of adding.
Old 15th January 2011, 04:56   #17
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura TSi Classic launched at Rs.12.25Lakh

Well this makes the laura ambient tsi owners feel like they don't have the entry level of the petrol laura now, isn't this better for the resale value of the ambient version
Old 15th January 2011, 11:31   #18
BHPian

Seems Skoda still has some premium brand image left in India. How else would you explain someone being willing to forego so many features for just a Lakh and get hold of a car, mainly for the brand? Reminds one of the stripped down versions of German legends.
Old 15th January 2011, 13:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
Seems Skoda still has some premium brand image left in India. How else would you explain someone being willing to forego so many features for just a Lakh and get hold of a car, mainly for the brand? Reminds one of the stripped down versions of German legends.
Yes thats correct, skoda is still seen as a premium brand here in india,
many european brands have come & gone but skdoa have always been there, eg- opel etc, Skoda have made a reputation since 2001 that their cars are like baby tankers which is true to a certain extent, if you can live with the after sales of skoda, nothign comes close to the VFM for their cars..

cheers..
Old 15th January 2011, 16:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
i doubt people are buying because of the Skoda brand. if anything, people are buying it in spite of skoda brand - mostly because they know it is essentially a VW product and technology at a lower price point - in this case the main reason would be the TSI engine.
Old 15th January 2011, 17:46   #21
Team-BHP Support

Its the TSI which I think is setting the sales up if not any thing. The intro price was a steal at the launch.
What to watch: New Jetta coming on heals with the same engine!
Old 17th January 2011, 08:28   #22
BHPian

^^I don't think people buy Laura for TSI technology or petrol engine. In spite the brilliant piece of engineering of petrol and reduced prices (ever increasing fuel prices are another matter though), its the diesel which sell in hordes and the same is reflected in the monthly sales figures as well. I am sure the Laura sales includes 95% diesel and 5% petrol.

Only people who buy Laura TSI are either members of Team-bhp or enthusiasts or both. The general perception and knowledge about TSI is not much at least in India.

I am fed up with telling people why I bought petrol Laura than diesel, everyone feels I must have stretched the budget that small little more and settled with diesel.

P.S.: Last month I filled Speed 97 petrol for the price of regular fuel now.
Old 17th January 2011, 12:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

@v.anand
I am sure attendants at the petrol bunks would be eager to fill diesel if they see a Laura
Old 17th January 2011, 13:32   #24
BHPian

@ Mods - There is no official "team-BHP" style review for the Laura/Superb 1.8 TSi... any plans?
Old 17th January 2011, 13:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
@v.anand
I am sure attendants at the petrol bunks would be eager to fill diesel if they see a Laura
Not really, things have changed since the launch of the new superb, the new superb has sold much more in petrol numbers so the petrol bunks now know skoda also make petrol cars

cheers..
Old 17th January 2011, 13:43   #26
BHPian

@androdev, I had a funny experience at a BP bunk. Wanted to fill speed 97 and asked for it. The owner of the bunk himself came and attended to me and told me it was the first time somebody was filling petrol to Laura and whether I was sure.

Then I had to answer the typical question of fuel efficiency which he was impressed for a car of its size but was wondering why not diesel which was so much more cheaper to run.

I told him its Audi engine, funny thing is even diesel is.

Last edited by v.anand : 17th January 2011 at 13:45.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
@androdev, I had a funny experience at a BP bunk. Wanted to fill speed 97 and asked for it. The owner of the bunk himself came and attended to me and told me it was the first time somebody was filling petrol to Laura and whether I was sure.

Then I had to answer the typical question of fuel efficiency which he was impressed for a car of its size but was wondering why not diesel which was so much more cheaper to run.

I told him its Audi engine, funny thing is even diesel is.
well here in mumbai its different, as there are so many superbs and 90% are the petrol ones the bunks here know skoda make petrol cars, so if u take a laura / superb to the bunk & say fill petrol they dont react weird

cheers..
Old 17th January 2011, 16:12   #28
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel the Classic is a bit too basic for the price it asks for. Ambient is the lowest spec one should go to. I do feel that they need a bit of a price revision to match the competition, but skimping on features is not the way to go.

It is hard to imagine a customer paying close to 14-15L for a car and not get alloys, parking sensors, fogs etc. They are cutting down on essentials in the classic.

Can understand, powerseats, power xnenons, sunroof, rear curtain going missing but, if one buys the TSI just for the engine, then it's like riding a horse without the saddle.

Last edited by ACM : 17th January 2011 at 16:14.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

ACI says the car is available for as low as 11.99 ex showroom Delhi. I am sure there are healthy discounts too.

BTW, the base CIVIC costs 12.23 ex showroom Delhi. When was the last time you saw a Euro start at lower base price than a Jap.

PS: They should come up with similar version for TDI too
Old 17th January 2011, 17:30   #30
BHPian

Guys I am not sure if classis is really offering any great pricing compared with Ambient.

I was in touch with Skoda dealer in Mumbai last month and they offered me discount of 1L on the car and the offer is still there...its just that I have not made up my mind.

Here is pricing in Mumbai -
Ambient - Exshowroom (without Octroi) - ~12.9L
After discount it comes to 11.9L

Now Classic is advertised as 11.49 exshowroom (without octroi) in Mumbai.
So for the price dofference of 50K you loose a lot ...specially Alloys and rear AC vents.

Unless dealers are offering discounts on Classic as well, I don't see this as great deal at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks