Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 14:09   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2011 Range Rover Evoque To India!! SPOTTED - Pics on page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Honestly speaking even at 55L Ex-Showroom, the dynamic model is perfectly well priced
If i have read it correctly then LR has launched this vehicle to bring in more sales unlike the RR/RR sport/Disco which are exclusive vehicles sold in relatively lesser nos. But at the given price point it doesn't seem to set sales chart on fire. IMO 35-55L should have been a more appropriate pricing for the range. Correct me if i am wrong
Old 6th September 2011, 14:44   #62
BHPian

What an awesome car. Just too much to spend for.

Can't they do something and bring it to the 20 lakh bracket.

That's what the initial thought process was when the Evoque was being conceptualized -A baby Range Rover for the masses.

Cheers
Old 6th September 2011, 15:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
If i have read it correctly then LR has launched this vehicle to bring in more sales unlike the RR/RR sport/Disco which are exclusive vehicles sold in relatively lesser nos. But at the given price point it doesn't seem to set sales chart on fire. IMO 35-55L should have been a more appropriate pricing for the range. Correct me if i am wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
What an awesome car. Just too much to spend for.

Can't they do something and bring it to the 20 lakh bracket.

That's what the initial thought process was when the Evoque was being conceptualized -A baby Range Rover for the masses.

Cheers
True, the Evoque, was supposed to be a more high volume, more for the masses so to speak model. But its still a Range Rover, a premium brand. Higher volumes in the sense that a 3-series is a high volume variant of the 7-series. But its still a pretty costly premium car. Even at its present price in India, it will still be close to 25L cheaper than a RR sport and almost half the price of a proper Rangie, which costs upward of 1cr.

For the first year, I dont see why LR should take it so seriously to try and bring down prices. Its going to sell well in India, as it is in the rest of the world, even at its present price point.

Remember this is not really a cheap car. Its still a pretty premium vehicle, which even if fully made in India would still cost around the 30L mark.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:10   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Remember this is not really a cheap car. Its still a pretty premium vehicle, which even if fully made in India would still cost around the 30L mark.
Even i speak on the same line. TM should try to produce it locally and launch it in the 30-50L price bracket. In that case,it can fight with X1/X3/Q3/Q5....(the list goes on) on an equal footing.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:25   #65
Senior - BHPian

ashis89,

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I see the LR products come under 2 umbrellas, few marked as RANGE ROVER, And the Discovery / Frelander as LAND ROVER, and the Evoque comes in as the cheapest LR with the badges as RANGE ROVER, so yes in a way it is their entry level Range rover, but yet a niche above a few others and volumes it will bring in, and it already has, and I assume once the entire Indian operations begin including engines / gearbox assembly I expect this to come down to around 30-35 for the base Evoque and perhaps a shade at 50 for the highest model,

Again some of the above are my assumptions so do not take them in absolute terms.

Regards,

Quote:
Even i speak on the same line. TM should try to produce it locally and launch it in the 30-50L price bracket. In that case,it can fight with X1/X3/Q3/Q5....(the list goes on) on an equal footing.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:25   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First of all TM doesnt really have much to do in the matter. Land Rover and JLR will take the decision on locally manufacturing or assembling it. Local assembly is already scheduled for mid next year, which should drop the price to the 40-50L range rather than the present 50-60L range where it will come for the time being.

Also,higher localisation and using India as a secondary manufacturing center for Land Rover, that is not a small decision. That will take quite some time, probably a couple of more years at least.

But even at it present price point in India, it will give more than serious competition to the X and Q series vehicles. The only thing limiting the Evoque sales numbers will be the ability of Land Rover to make them. In many countries, waitlists already stretch into next year.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:43   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing limiting the Evoque sales numbers will be the ability of Land Rover to make them. In many countries, waitlists already stretch into next year.
I am glad to hear that its already a roaring success.
Can't wait to see it in flesh soon. LR should seriously jack up its dealer network if it wants to a formidable player in the luxury segment.(case in point-VOLVO with good and affordable car range but poor dealer network)
Old 6th September 2011, 17:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am glad to hear that its already a roaring success.
Can't wait to see it in flesh soon. LR should seriously jack up its dealer network if it wants to a formidable player in the luxury segment.(case in point-VOLVO with good and affordable car range but poor dealer network)
Land Rover dealership spread is not bad at all. They are already present in all major towns where such cars are sold in decent numbers. Land Rover is already present in all the 6 big cities of India, ie Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Hydrebad, Bangalore and Mumbai. Other than these they are also present in Jaipur, Ludhiana and Cochin for the time being.

Only a few more towns they would probably want to add a dealer/service center would be Pune, Ahmedabad, Bhubaneswar, Coimbatore, Chandigarh and Indore. I am sure they are in the process of securing some sort of presence in the afore mentioned cities. If they add all these cities, their network would be as good as that of Merc or BMW.
Old 6th September 2011, 23:49   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
True, the Evoque, was supposed to be a more high volume, more for the masses so to speak model. But its still a Range Rover, a premium brand. Higher volumes in the sense that a 3-series is a high volume variant of the 7-series. But its still a pretty costly premium car. Even at its present price in India, it will still be close to 25L cheaper than a RR sport and almost half the price of a proper Rangie, which costs upward of 1cr.
Not really actually.

Land Rover's high-volume car would be the Freelander SUV. The Evoque comes with the premium 'Range Rover' tag, which is their flagship tag. So basically, the Evoque is an entry-level Range Rover. It's still a niche product and will cost more than the Freelander, even though it is powered by smaller engines.

It should be packed with tastier goodies than the Freelander, though.
Old 7th September 2011, 07:31   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Not really actually.

Land Rover's high-volume car would be the Freelander SUV. The Evoque comes with the premium 'Range Rover' tag, which is their flagship tag. So basically, the Evoque is an entry-level Range Rover. It's still a niche product and will cost more than the Freelander, even though it is powered by smaller engines.

It should be packed with tastier goodies than the Freelander, though.
The Evoque is basically a Range Rover Freelander. It has the same engines, and the same basic platform as the Freelander.

So, its the high volume Range Rover brand car. Also, its not that much costlier than a Freelander.
Old 7th September 2011, 09:27   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

visited the LR/ Jag Store on Hosur Road
The lowest priced LR Freelander2 is 44 lacs on road
The top end is 50 lacs on road
this is what the chap said.

they are lovely vehicles.
Unfortunately here in India they turn out to be really expensive. Particularly in Bangalore where one has to pay 18.7 percent road tax for the privilege of using the dusty, potholed, off road surfaces that the government provides.
Looking on the flipside of course the LR Freelander2's off road capabilities will be given a gruelling run every day of the week and on the weekends too!
Old 7th September 2011, 09:42   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Evoque is basically a Range Rover Freelander. It has the same engines, and the same basic platform as the Freelander.

So, its the high volume Range Rover brand car. Also, its not that much costlier than a Freelander.
As far as I know, there is no 'Range Rover Freelander'.

Land Rover is the company, and they have several cars in their portfolio, like the Defender, the Discovery, the Freelander, and the Range Rover. Under the Range Rover tag, they sell the Vogue, the Sport (which is considerably different) and the recently launched Evoque, which is the most compact Range Rover ever designed and conceptualized.

The Evoque shares just one engine with the Freelander. However that's where the similarities end. (I'm not even sure if it's the same 2.2 liter diesel engine)

They are different cars, targeted at different customers, entirely. In fact, the Freelander comes with a few other engine options like a V6 borrowed from Volvo. This engine isn't available on the Evoque. Instead, the Evoque comes with a 2 liter petrol (not available on the Freelander) and a 2.2 liter diesel lump that is available in different states of tune. The Freelander is also powered by an inline 6 lump that is not found in the Evoque.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2011 at 09:44.
Old 7th September 2011, 09:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
As far as I know, there is no 'Range Rover Freelander'.

Land Rover is the company, and they have several cars in their portfolio, like the Defender, the Discovery, the Freelander, and the Range Rover. Under the Range Rover tag, they sell the Vogue, the Sport (which is considerably different) and the recently launched Evoque, which is the most compact Range Rover ever designed and conceptualized.

The Evoque shares just one engine with the Freelander. However that's where the similarities end. (I'm not even sure if it's the same 2.2 liter diesel engine)

They are different cars, targeted at different customers, entirely. In fact, the Freelander comes with a few other engine options like a V6 borrowed from Volvo. This engine isn't available on the Evoque. Instead, the Evoque comes with a 2 liter petrol (not available on the Freelander) and a 2.2 liter diesel lump that is available in different states of tune. The Freelander is also powered by an inline 6 lump that is not found in the Evoque.
What I meant by "Range Rover Freelander", is that the Evoque is to the Range Rover brand what the Freelander is to the Land Rover brand. That is its the cheap small version.

The Evoque and Freelander are based on the same basic platform and share quite a few underlying parts. As of now the both the Freelander and Evoque are available with a 2.2L I4 diesel engine, in three configs, called the eD4, TD4 and SD4. The eD4 is used for 2WD models, while TD4 and SD4 for 4WD ones. The eD4 and TD4 have a 150hp peak power, while SD4 has a 190hp peak power.

The Freelander no longer gets the old Volvo I6 (not V6) engine, under the new partnership between Tata owned JLR and Ford.

Instead, the Evoque now gets 2L 240hp I4 petrol engine. I wouldnt be surprised if we get to see a high end Freelander with this engine too in future.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 10:05   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I meant by "Range Rover Freelander", is that the Evoque is to the Range Rover brand what the Freelander is to the Land Rover brand. That is its the cheap small version.

The Evoque and Freelander are based on the same basic platform and share quite a few underlying parts. As of now the both the Freelander and Evoque are available with a 2.2L I4 diesel engine, in three configs, called the eD4, TD4 and SD4. The eD4 is used for 2WD models, while TD4 and SD4 for 4WD ones. The eD4 and TD4 have a 150hp peak power, while SD4 has a 190hp peak power.

The Freelander no longer gets the old Volvo I6 (not V6) engine, under the new partnership between Tata owned JLR and Ford.

Instead, the Evoque now gets 2L 240hp I4 petrol engine. I wouldnt be surprised if we get to see a high end Freelander with this engine too in future.
thank you for the info, Julupani!

Yes, the I6 is no longer available on the Freelander. (there was no V6 in the Landrover portfolio, for the Freelander, my mistake)

However, are you sure the Evoque shares its underpinnings with the Freelander? There seems to be no information on this on the internet. Either that, or I'm quite lousy at research.

Old 7th September 2011, 15:45   #75
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the Evoque is based on the Freelander. But apart from the diesel engines one cannot find any similar components used. Both cars are made on the same assembly line but are worlds apart. I am sure at some stage the Evoque will be assembled in India, but being a Range Rover it will always be more expensive than the likes of X3 or Q5s.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks