Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2022, 10:33   #586
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!

Hyundai service is costly and how.
Gave my 11 yr old / 90k run I10 for its service and below is an eye watering description of it.

The estimation given is 25k. But this also includes silencer piper replacement as it was due from the past 4-5 yrs( rusts all along the seam).Engine V-Belt replacement ( couple of threads had come off from the side) , i felt it would sustain another 10k but did not take risk as it was already 11 yrs old and rubber parts do degrade over age too. The usual oil /oil filter , coolant change, transmission oil change. Also the engine seal was leaking ,well that's what they showed me and said they will have to replace it too. Brake pads had some life left but they insisted on changing it and I reluctantly agreed. A brake bulb had conked off too ,no idea how as I remember it was alright the last time I drove it. They offered to replace the rear wiper and apparently they would have to replace the entire assembly which would cost 1500 including labor and i refused saying ill get only the blade which is anyway cheaper online .

I usually do the major services at the service center and go to FNG for normal service intervals which include oil/coolant /filters change / brake cleaning .
callmeneo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 16:29   #587
BHPian

Got the car back. 24.8K was the final bill. The original bill as 27.5k. Asked them to knock off engine oil flushing and injector cleaning and the labor for it. Also knocked off something called "Service Pro" and requested a 10% discount on labor charges which they did. This was at Trident Hyundai Kudlu Gate Bangalore.

The next service would also cost close to 6-8k going by the estimate i took now.
callmeneo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 19:11   #588
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
24.8K was the final bill.
How much did the silencer replacement and the labour cost ? I will need to replace the same on my 10 year old i10 as well.
Old 8th January 2022, 22:04   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
How much did the silencer replacement and the labour cost ? I will need to replace the same on my 10 year old i10 as well.
Costed ~8k which included parts and labor. I thought of getting it done outside by getting the parts from bodomo but decided against it as you need to have the correct list of parts for it to be ordered from bodomo. There are a couple of seals too.
callmeneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 11:12   #590
BHPian

Hyundai services costs have gone over the roof and now costs more than VW.

I own 2016 VW Vento and 2006 Santro Erlx.

Took Santro (run 60K) for the 16th yearly maintenance service to Laxmi Hyundai in Kukatpally, Hyderabad, and received a quote of 11K (incl taxes) for regular services. Till date I never paid more than 6.5K for a yearly service which was for the 15th year service. I simply came out and took it to Kun, Hafeezpet and they gave a similar quote of 10K.

I came out and gave the car for servicing by booking at gomechanic.com. It costed me 4.5K. They did a fairly good service, but need to drive more and assess their service.

My VW Vento costs around 9K yearly that too with fully synthetic oil. Hyundai uses only mineral oil. With the VW SVP, the Vento service cost is a bit lower.

Not sure what is Hyundai thinking and raising the service costs on a yearly basis.

If anyone is thinking that Hyundai service costs are reasonable, pls think once again.

I doubt whether I would be a Hyundai customer again.

Last edited by cormodore : 18th April 2022 at 11:14.
cormodore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 11:37   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormodore View Post
Took Santro (run 60K) for the 16th yearly maintenance service to Laxmi Hyundai in Kukatpally, Hyderabad, and received a quote of 11K (incl taxes) for regular services.
Hyunday service charges are normally always on the higher side.
Had a Santro Xing in the family for 13 years and the yearly service charges always used to hit double digits and in the last 2 years it crossed 25K.
Old 31st May 2023, 06:14   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Not sure about Hyundai specific one, but I use this for the Grand Vitara AT.
What does the user manual say about the ATF grade and change interval?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mir View Post
I found absolutely no difference of smoothness in shift quality after the ATF change; probably because the trans was already in good shape.
After 12 years and roughly 50000 kilometers, what was the color of the ATF which was drained out?
Old 31st May 2023, 07:02   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post

After 12 years and roughly 50000 kilometers, what was the color of the ATF which was drained out?
You just find atf sp III or sp IV compatible transmission oil. Hyundai in india uses the mx III spec which is a cheaper mineral version of the sp III spec. Many oils such as motul atf vi will support it.

Transmission oil colour is not an indicator as the oil will go black within a few thousand km itself for many cars, Ford for example has a bulletin that says don’t use black colour as an indicator for replacement.

10 years or 1 lakh km is a rule of thumb good indicator to change the oil even though it should technically last till 250k km
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 07:15   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
10 years or 1 lakh km is a rule of thumb good indicator to change the oil even though it should technically last till 250k km
I was going to specifically ask your recommendation on "time based" ATF change interval anyway!

My Astar ATF (Suzuki 3317/Mobile 3309) is more than a decade old and still RED. The transmission seems to (since I do not remember EXACTLY how it shifted while brand new) shift normally and ATF temperature goes up to 96C maximum during long bumper to bumper drives. I believe that is in normal operating temperature range.

In all ATF change interval discussions, milage based intervals are suggested. I think it boils down to how long (in terms of years) the additives in the mix (friction modifiers, anti-foaming agents etc.) last to a satisfactory level of performance.

Also any idea of the standard of Suzuki ATF 3317? I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Example: Mobil ATF 3309 follows JWS 3309 standards.
Old 31st May 2023, 07:21   #595
Senior - BHPian

Your car may not need an atf fluid change. The oil in the transmission is technically a lifetime fill

Still there are plenty of third party oils which support suzuki 3317 / Mobil 3309 if you don’t buy the mgp oil which is also readily available

Check if the transmission oil level has gone low and if so change it out

Quote:
I was going to specifically ask your recommendation on "time based" ATF change interval anyway!

My Astar ATF (Suzuki 3317/Mobile 3309) is more than a decade old and still RED. The transmission seems to (since I do not remember EXACTLY how it shifted while brand new) shift normally and ATF temperature goes up to 96C maximum during long bumper to bumper drives. I believe that is in normal operating temperature range.

In all ATF change interval discussions, milage based intervals are suggested. I think it boils down to how long (in terms of years) the additives in the mix (friction modifiers, anti-foaming agents etc.) last to a satisfactory level of performance.

Also any idea of the standard of Suzuki ATF 3317? I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Example: Mobil ATF 3309 follows JWS 3309 standards.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 08:50   #596
BHPian

Quote:

Colour was black as expected. You could probably see the underlying red if held against light or if the dipstick was wiped on a paper towel.
No metal shavings were found. The magnets in the sump were also pretty clean. Hence I did not change the atf filter.

The new atf is still red after 2-3 years and 20k kms.
Taha Mir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 09:11   #597
BHPian

Quote:

There is no gearbox fluid for MT or AT which is going to last forever.

If there is no interval based change recommendation, some of it should be drained and physical conditions checked. If the color and condition is doubtful, just go ahead and replace it. It’s not very expensive anyways even for premium cars.

Do note if oil has not been replaced for a very long time and an oil change is done, the transmission would have already suffered damage and will start slipping even with new oil. The only option is to run the gearbox till it breaks down and get another one.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 18:35   #598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For Grand Vitara (Suzuki imported one) that I have, if I remember correct it was 1.75 Lakhs or 7 years as specified by manufacturer, though it is termed filled for life.

Infact there is no filled for life which is infinite period. All of them have a * when it comes to life, which is defined in year or kms. Owners manual may have it mentioned in some cases, others will have it mentioned in detailed service manuals.

One way to check is colour and the other is smell. These are easy give aways, unlike engine oil these transmission oil will not turn dark so fast. Even when I replaced my cars, it had some red in it and not fully dark like an engine oil would. On the other hand it definitely smelled little 'burned'.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st May 2023 at 18:37.
Old 30th March 2024, 12:09   #599

I have this estimate from Hyundai Service Center in Mumbai. My Grand i10 Sportz is 2013 model and runs around 3000 kms per year. The AC does not cool properly and hence raised the concern and requested for periodic maintenance. Are the charges correct and are all the services requried?Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!-img_0564.jpg
Old 30th March 2024, 13:14   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bini10 View Post
I have this estimate from Hyundai Service Center in Mumbai. Attachment 2588134
Did you request wheel alignment and wheel balancing? I would recommend getting it done from outside.
Also, in the 'Part Description' section, I noticed the inclusion of '50ml - Windshield Washer'. Can you question this?
I remember that initially, my ASS used to provide a washer liquid pouch after servicing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks