Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 02:01   #1
BHPian

New VW Jetta

Mod Note : The new Jetta's review has been released at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

Hi Folks,

When is the new VW Jetta expected to be released in India and do we expect increase of price from the existing model.
I saw following pic on one of the automotive websites and the new one looks quite similar to VW Vento in terms of styling.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
New VW Jetta-2011volkswagenjetta106.jpg  

New VW Jetta-2011_vwjettaeu_04.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2011 at 12:52. Reason: Adding link to review
Old 4th March 2011, 08:32   #2
BHPian

Re: New VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi Folks,

When is the new VW Jetta expected to be released in India and do we expect increase of price from the existing model.
1. The New VW Jetta is scheduled to be released in mid September.
2. Can't comment on price but if the new 'CKD definition' gets implemented then a whopping increase in price is for sure.
Old 4th March 2011, 09:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Few videos of the new Jetta

The current Jetta is being offered at a discount of 75,000 and the production has stopped.They will deliver only the remaining cars. The new model is expected by Aug-Nov 2011.
Old 4th March 2011, 09:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi Folks,

I saw following pic on one of the automotive websites and the new one looks quite similar to VW Vento in terms of styling.

Regards
The brake lights are so A4'ish ! Yeah, it will be quite difficult to differentiate Polo / Vento / Jetta from the front angle. May be the air dam ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

The current Jetta is being offered at a discount of 75,000 and the production has stopped.They will deliver only the remaining cars. The new model is expected by Aug-Nov 2011.
Do you mean to say that they have so much inventory to manage till Aug - Nov with production stopped?

Does the current Jetta use the same assembly lines as Vento? If so it should help them better the manufacturing of Vento and bring down the waiting periods right?
Old 4th March 2011, 10:01   #5
BHPian

Oh god! Toyota and Honda builds aspirational value by building a bit of the design elements from their higher segments into lower, VW is going the reverse order. At least the Polo comes first into the market, then Vento, then Jetta and then Passat. Ultimately, you would not be hugely pleased with a Polo-ish front end on your Passat.

In this case, even the front air dams are similar to Vento. But the front HL assembly looks great.

The rear is gorgeous. Especially with the black plastic treatment in the lower bumper area. Wow.

Btw, I think this car is taller/shorter in appearance than the current Jetta. Is it not?

BH.
Old 4th March 2011, 10:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Oh god! Toyota and Honda builds aspirational value by building a bit of the design elements from their higher segments into lower, VW is going the reverse order. At least the Polo comes first into the market, then Vento, then Jetta and then Passat. Ultimately, you would not be hugely pleased with a Polo-ish front end on your Passat.

In this case, even the front air dams are similar to Vento. But the front HL assembly looks great.

The rear is gorgeous. Especially with the black plastic treatment in the lower bumper area. Wow.

Btw, I think this car is taller/shorter in appearance than the current Jetta. Is it not?

BH.

I think that many of the auto companies are going for the similar look on models except if it is a change from SUV to sedan etc. For instance some weeks later there scoop photos of the new Civic which looked so much similar to the ANHC's current avatar.

Similary I think the newer Passat , Jetta would resemble the current Polo being sold in India. Its only when you look at the back side would you notice the difference
Old 4th March 2011, 10:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Taller and shorter . I think the car actually looks a bit longer. The front end feels a bit aggressive compared to the old Jetta.

Quote:
think that many of the auto companies are going for the similar look
I guess the higher end cars will sell for its package and not looks. While we would like an affordable "A6" like(looks) entry level segment.

The standard front end will make it easy to identify in the crowd. The interest in the cars will spread as VW and not as a specific model. This just adds more excited to owners of Polo and Vento.
Old 4th March 2011, 11:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:

BH.
The new Jetta is bigger and cheaper. From what I know it's dimensions are very similar to Camry and Accord. The interiors and mechanicals have taken a step down but still are in league with the segment competition.

In order to achieve global domination VW is becoming more mainstream (read sedate) .

Last edited by gshanky : 4th March 2011 at 11:21.
Old 4th March 2011, 15:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

As per the latest report, they have stopped the production. Think they share the same production line.

As per the VW showrooms, the new Jetta will cost more. Dont know whether this is a marketing strategy since my bro is planning to get a Jetta. When he took the TD of the current Jetta, the executive asked him to buy the current model since the new Jetta will be more expensive. (Might be planning to push off the current models).

Anyways, the new jetta will have less features. The base model will have no climate control (as far as i know).
Old 4th March 2011, 15:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per the VW showrooms, the new Jetta will cost more
The new passat is yet to hit the indian roads. We are already in March. My guess is that the current Jetta is already selling around 200 units a month. They will launch the Passat by March End and will start concentrating on passat sale atleast for few months.

My Guess is the new Jetta will hit the Indian roads sometime in December with 2012 availability.

The car will match the current Jetta along with their new AT (Not the old DSG)
Old 4th March 2011, 15:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, actually the new design language started with the new Scirocco. You can check that out at Volkswagen Scirocco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. After than, which ever new model they are coming up, follows that design philosophy.

Quote:
Youre damn right It is longer by a considerable margin and lower too. The rear seat passenger space has increased by a considerable margin.

Quote:
The interiors and mechanicals have taken a step down but still are in league with the segment competition.
Only true in case of the US version. They need to price it aggressively in US, thus a semi-compromise. What we get here is the Euro version, which is neither cheaper nor 'cheapo-er'!

Quote:
As per the VW showrooms, the new Jetta will cost more. Dont know whether this is a marketing strategy since my bro is planning to get a Jetta. When he took the TD of the current Jetta, the executive asked him to buy the current model since the new Jetta will be more expensive. (Might be planning to push off the current models).
They just want to sell their current cars.

Quote:
Anyways, the new jetta will have less features. The base model will have no climate control (as far as i know).
Did somebody tell you that or is it just a surmise? I wish what you're saying comes out to be true. This will help VW to price Jetta competitively and me the ability to buy it.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 4th March 2011 at 15:55.
Old 4th March 2011, 20:33   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The brake lights are so A4'ish ! Yeah, it will be quite difficult to differentiate Polo / Vento / Jetta from the front angle.
Yes, it looks very A4 from the rear.

Quote:
I will say there is nothing wrong with that. As mentioned in Abhi_Automobile’s post below, this is the new design language of the VW cars. Even the new Phaeton and Toureg have the same front end treatment. Personally I feel that this treatment look better in bigger cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Well, actually the new design language started with the new Scirocco. You can check that out at Volkswagen Scirocco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. After than, which ever new model they are coming up, follows that design philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
The new Jetta is bigger and cheaper. From what I know it's dimensions are very similar to Camry and Accord. The interiors and mechanicals have taken a step down but still are in league with the segment competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This could be the case with US spec Jetta. But the Euro-spec model is indeed an improvement from the current Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The car will match the current Jetta along with their new AT (Not the old DSG)
I don’t think there will be any change is the DSG. As a standard, the diesels will have the 6-speed DSG, and if they offer DSG on petrols, it could be the 7-speed one.

Here are some pictures of the Euro spec Jetta.
Attached Thumbnails
New VW Jetta-jetta-1.jpg  

New VW Jetta-jetta-2.jpg  

New VW Jetta-jetta-3.jpg  

New VW Jetta-jetta-5.jpg  

New VW Jetta-jetta-6.jpg  

New VW Jetta-jetta-7.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 4th March 2011, 23:36   #13
Team-BHP Support

If there are increases in price, then it goes to say, clearly Cruze would gain more traction. Then 10-15L range is fairly open where apart from Cruze there diesel "power sedan" (Toyota D4D being discounted).

I hope that Renault Fluence would add to the competition in the 10-15L range.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:52   #14
dot
Senior - BHPian

Rear three-quarter view is really nice. Looks like a solid European, like an all grown up Vento. Any idea what engine options they maybe offering in India?
Old 5th March 2011, 00:55   #15
BHPian

The rear three quarter other than tail lights look very Laura like to me.

Good design though but nothing outstanding. Design-wise, I am sure Hyundai Elantra new version would stand out if and when launched here.

It may sell like hot cakes if the engine range is similar to Skoda Laura with even more features for equivalent price.

Is this Jetta all new platform or modified, re-skinned existing platform? Coz, platform change is due next year for the mighty Golf.

Last edited by v.anand : 5th March 2011 at 00:57.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks