Old 25th July 2011, 15:12   #136

Re: New VW Jetta

Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Thanks RavenAvi:

We now have most of the value side of the equation, we now need to get the price side of it!
Which unfortunately in VW's 'higher end' models is the prohibiting factor. Most of their cars are good anyway.
Old 25th July 2011, 16:57   #137

Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
However, because the competition from Cruze, Laura, Corolla and the new Civic will be stiff, VW India will be very careful about the pricing.
New Civic is out. No diesel.
Corolla: Cant even be compared with Jetta.
Laura: After all it is similar to Jetta only with skoda badge. Lets see.
Cruze: Now this is the real rival. However the the rear space is a turn down.

Way I see Jetta will get away even with premium pricing.
oxyzen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 18:19   #138

Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

Maybe VW will. But not me. How will I muster the extra cash needed to buy the 'classy' Jetta if they launch it at premium. trends suggest that I will have to settle for the Vento.

<Corolla> is one of the most over-rated cars in the world. There is nothing wrong with the car. But there is nothing special about the car either. Maybe the world is like that. They love 'reliable' mediocre things.
Old 25th July 2011, 19:49   #139

VW India will launch it with a DSG gearbox and a 6 speed manual as well. Unlike the Passat which was launched only with a diesel engine, a turbocharged petrol engine will be available on the new Jetta. However, the Bluemotion variant will NOT be launched on the Jetta in India any time soon.

The VW Jetta will come to India in form of a CKD meaning prices will not vary drastically. However, because the competition from Cruze, Laura, Corolla and the new Civic will be stiff, VW India will be very careful about the pricing.
Thanks RavenAvi. The diesel specs looks quite well laid out. I expect the highline to touch 20 lakhs on-road Delhi. If the dealer contact in my town is to be believed; only diesel will be launched in August, and the 1.4 TSI petrol will come by end of the year / early 2012 only.

Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

In reality, all the above are competitors in India and of course the Jetta will have the most premium pricing of the lot. In our market, comparisons are often done based on pricing, and not by capabilities. According to Autocar UK review (140bhp TDI CR); the biggest rivals for the new Jetta are the Ford Focus and Octavia (Laura).
Early next year will be quite interesting. The competition between new Civic and new Jetta 1.4 TSI is something I am looking forward to.

Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Maybe VW will. But not me. How will I muster the extra cash needed to buy the 'classy' Jetta if they launch it at premium. trends suggest that I will have to settle for the Vento.

<Corolla> is one of the most over-rated cars in the world. There is nothing wrong with the car. But there is nothing special about the car either. Maybe the world is like that. They love 'reliable' mediocre things.
If Passat’s pricing is an indicator, I expect the trendline itself to start on 14 lakhs ex-showroom. So I guess, if pricing is key, Vento should be the answer.

And I liked that term ‘reliable mediocre’
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 20:11   #140

Just went through the UK specs for Jetta, a well configured () is ~30k pounds. VW may have to trim many features in india spec model to keep the price within 20L.
Old 25th July 2011, 21:39   #141

Man all this price speculation is killing me. I have been waiting for this car for a long time now. Earlier everyone was so sure about a lower price tag and it competing with the cruze. But as the launch date is coming closer suddenly everyone is hinting towards a premium price tag. Playing safe huh?
Old 26th July 2011, 10:46   #142

Man all this price speculation is killing me. I have been waiting for this car for a long time now. Earlier everyone was so sure about a lower price tag and it competing with the cruze. But as the launch date is coming closer suddenly everyone is hinting towards a premium price tag. Playing safe huh?
Spoke to a senior Autocar guy about my dilemma on Laura vs Jetta (petrol only). His answer was, Jetta will be "much more expensive" and "much less fun to drive". Obviously that is after taking into account the massive discount on petrol Laura right now. Although I did not check if the petrol is coming out right now at all.

My sense is, the base diesel variant will retail for no less than 15-16L (i.e. 20+ on road Bangalore) and base petrol, if and when that comes, will retail for no less than 14-15 L (i.e. 18+ on road Bangalore).
Old 26th July 2011, 11:12   #143

If Passat’s pricing is an indicator, I expect the trendline itself to start on 14 lakhs ex-showroom. So I guess, if pricing is key, Vento should be the answer.

And I liked that term ‘reliable mediocre’
How much will the base version start for: For everybody's info: The Laura Ambiente costs 13.9 ex-showroom. SO, does that mean that the Jetta price starts at 15 lacs ex showroom for the base Trendline version? If thats the case, its steep pricing.

There's another angle to it. Maybe they will introduce the Jetta at fairly competitive pricing: Say 13 lakh ex-showroom for base version. And lower the price of Laura to make it slot in below the Jetta. Or maybe bring Laura 'classic'. Thats also fine with me. Although I want to buy a Jetta, I can settle for a Luara too.

Just that I think there is a HUGE difference in 'quality quotient' between the C segment (Vento/ANHC) and C+ segment(Jetta/Civic). So, I do want to stretch, if they give me room to do it. If they price it too high, I can't rob a bank to buy the car of my dreams!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 26th July 2011 at 11:13.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:39   #144

Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
How much will the base version start for: For everybody's info: The Laura Ambiente costs 13.9 ex-showroom. SO, does that mean that the Jetta price starts at 15 lacs ex showroom for the base Trendline version? If thats the case, its steep pricing.

There's another angle to it. Maybe they will introduce the Jetta at fairly competitive pricing: Say 13 lakh ex-showroom for base version. And lower the price of Laura to make it slot in below the Jetta. Or maybe bring Laura 'classic'. Thats also fine with me. Although I want to buy a Jetta, I can settle for a Laura too.
I don’t think they’ll bring down the prices of Laura to accommodate the Jetta. The Laura Ambiente is already quite skinny on features. I expect the trendline to be around 14-15 lakhs, and highline to top the Laura L&K.

Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile
Just that I think there is a HUGE difference in 'quality quotient' between the C segment (Vento/ANHC) and C+ segment(Jetta/Civic). So, I do want to stretch, if they give me room to do it. If they price it too high, I can't rob a bank to buy the car of my dreams!
Very valid point. IMO C-segment is the most price sensitive market in our country (Look at the reactions to the new Fiesta, and the recent price revisions on Honda City). Whereas, C+ segment is more on Luxury & desirability factor for the given price. In this segment, the manufacturers have a stretched price band to play in.
Old 26th July 2011, 12:19   #145

Wait, they Jetta does not seem to have Xenons, or power seats with memory. Now those 2 things make the Laura L&K a better buy. A sunroof is ok, but the other 2 things missing are not good. I hope the Jetta actually ends up coming with those.
Old 26th July 2011, 14:16   #146

Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Wait, they Jetta does not seem to have Xenons, or power seats with memory. Now those 2 things make the Laura L&K a better buy. A sunroof is ok, but the other 2 things missing are not good. I hope the Jetta actually ends up coming with those.
What would interest me would be to know whether anyone has spied this with black interiors! At least the current avatar had a limited option of black depending on certain exterior colours. I wonder if that will continue going forward.
Old 26th July 2011, 22:19   #147

My prediction on the pricing is -

(Petrol, ex-showroom) Trendline should be 13.5L, Comfortline at 15.2L, and Highline at 16.9L,

(Diesel, ex-showroom) Trendline should be 14.8L, Comfortline at 16.5L, and Highline at 18.2L.

That would bring the Highline Diesel at around 19.5L OTR, which should be typical for the features offered.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 26th July 2011 at 22:21.
Old 27th July 2011, 11:50   #148

(Petrol, ex-showroom) Trendline should be 13.5L, Comfortline at 15.2L, and Highline at 16.9L,

(Diesel, ex-showroom) Trendline should be 14.8L, Comfortline at 16.5L, and Highline at 18.2L.

That would bring the Highline Diesel at around 19.5L OTR, which should be typical for the features offered.
That is interesting. How did you project such 'exact pricing'. I mean, usually my projections are like 13, 14 13.5 etc. Its like saying Tendulkar will get 63 runs today

Anyway, is it guesstimate or any reasoning behind this? Usage of any statistical methods that you may have used to come to this conclusion. Any inside news?
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 14:23   #149

BTW, I saw s spanking new Jetta (new shape) at a dealers location a few days ago. As GTO has already confirmed, it will launch on 17th Aug.

First impressions are:

1. Its BIG. The new Jetta is almost 1.5 times the size of the Vento.
2. HUGE difference in the interior quality of Jetta and Vento.
3. It looks almost like Vento from the front end.
4. Space utilization inside is very good, unlike most German cars. Its very spacious from inside. Much more than Laura.
4. Blackened headlights
5. Rubberized 'soft touch' quality feel material on the dashboard. Please don't tell me that Verna or Fiesta also has 'soft touch' materials. They don't. I have seen them.
6. looks fantastic from rear three quarters. Looks like a proper sedan, unlike the earlier 'Golf+boot', which somehow devoid d it of classy look.
7. Supposed to be priced higher than the current model by around 1.5 lakh. I don't trust anything on pricing, unless it comes out.

Overall impression, a classy sedan with no 'cheapness' or cost cutting.

No pics guys, I promised to the SR. Aur ek baar main commit kar doon..
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 14:26   #150

Your predictions look reasonable, except I would think trendlines won't be that low, given where comparable Lauras are selling today.
Also, not sure which city/state OTR you're referring to and how the price loading works there, but 18.2 ex-showroom in Bangalore works out to much higher, more like 22.5L OTR, I kid you not! And that's how much you can get a petrol Superb for in Bangalore, give or take.

Last edited by skjlives : 27th July 2011 at 14:29.