Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 18:16   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
It really irritates me to see the Auto Transmission only available in the top spec model of a car.
Cant someone just enjoy fabric seats and an auto tranny? Its a transmission afterall and not a luxury feature.
I agree.
I would love to drive an automatic without getting my back wet due to hot leather.

And Skoda Laura is the car to go for in that case.
It offers DSG in all trims (diesel version).

Last edited by anandpadhye : 8th August 2011 at 18:18.
Old 8th August 2011, 18:34   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Ok so the Laura L&K makes a better buy, since it has memory for the drivers seat, and a 12 speaker sound system. But the Jetta has paddle shifters, which I think will be released with the Laura RS. Also I have a feeling it will be priced at the same or just a bit under the Laura L&K.
Agree and disagree. Agree because the Laura is still a fantastic buy with more features. Disagree coz with Jetta you get a 6 years younger car.
Old 8th August 2011, 20:44   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Here are the main specs on the Jetta as per 'indianautosblog' website.
Thanks for sharing the specs. Quite impressive indeed. Even the trendline is quite loaded with 16” alloys across all trims, standard safety features, hill hold, ISOFIX points etc. Immediate negatives I can see are (1) DSG option only in the top trim, and (2) Leatherette seats even in the highline!
Old 8th August 2011, 21:16   #199
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Here are the main specs on the Jetta as per 'indianautosblog' website.
Thanks for sharing the link. I wish they had mentioned something about the interiors colours which are going to be offered! I assume its going to be all black interiors. Why aren't VW launching the petrol this month? And they have also forgotten to launch the Petrol Passat!
I feel after the initial excitement dies down, the Laura will continue to do better than the Jetta as its more value for money & has more variants on offer.

Last edited by PPS : 8th August 2011 at 21:19.
Old 8th August 2011, 21:26   #200
BHPian

If the Manual gearbox is as good as that on the current Jetta, I'm surely impressed enough to consider a purchase if VW prices as aggressively as the Passat.
Old 8th August 2011, 23:37   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Agree and disagree. Agree because the Laura is still a fantastic buy with more features. Disagree coz with Jetta you get a 6 years younger car.
To me it hardly makes a difference since the Laura hardly looks dated. The adaptive xenons are just brilliant to have in the night, its a pity the Jetta comes without that.
Old 8th August 2011, 23:56   #202
Senior - BHPian

The specs of the comfortline seems impressive.
I would love to see how the DRL's look on the Jetta.
The rear looks so A4, what it the DRL''s have that nice sweep too.
The segment is going to heat up real soon.
Old 9th August 2011, 08:03   #203
Senior - BHPian

DRL will not look anywhere close to A4. There are no LED's in the jetta like the A4. Only passat has that set up. Also after few days you will start searching for a VAG COM to switch of this DRL which uses one of the lights in the head light assembly or even the fogs.

2011 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 SEL Review & Test Drive | Automotive Addicts

check the fifth picture. I feel the DRL's are close to the turn signal lights. Not sure though
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 08:30   #204
Team-BHP Support

Just checked in VW Singapore website. As per the specs here, the mid/top variants of Euro Jetta have automatic headlight activation with separate daytime running lights.

Here is a close look at the headlight and the tail lamp cluster.
Source: www.volkswagen.com.sg
Attached Thumbnails
New VW Jetta-je0418_800x600.jpg  

New VW Jetta-je0417_800x600.jpg  

vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 10:58   #205
Senior - BHPian

If the DRL is that small lamp next to the turn indicator, then it's a real disappointment indeed. I was looking forward to something rather stylish like on the Passat.
Even a nice strip under the two headlights would have been nice.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:56   #206
Senior - BHPian

if the dimension of the headlights for Jetta and Passat are same, i wonder if we can re-fit paying extra.

But have to be very careful with warranty. These VW people can say your warranty is Void though you did the changes in their authorized service centre and we have to run behind the german manufacture like what Harish is doing.

Dont trust these german manufactureres.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:36   #207
BHPian

I think DRLs for the Jetta equate to what is a regular parking light on other cars. We all already have them! Hooray!

As an aside, here is some international news that might give some pause for thought (though the number of vehicles currently affected do not really seem to be any great shakes):

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI being investigated over potential fuel leak

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is launching an investigation concerning 40,000 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI models. This is the result of NHTSA receiving seven complaints from Jetta TDI owners citing leakage from the fuel line to the fuel injector. If an official recall is issued, both the 2011 Jetta TDI sedan and SportWagen will be affected.

NHTSA's report states that the common rail fuel system in the Jetta TDI operates at extremely high fuel injection pressure – up to 26,000 psi – and that the seven complaints involved vehicles that had between 2,470 to 7,764 miles on the odometer

Additionally, NHTSA says that it has received a similar complaint regarding a Volkswagen Golf TDI, which uses the same 2.0-liter diesel engine as the Jetta. The investigation was officially opened on August 2."
Old 9th August 2011, 19:49   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
if the dimension of the headlights for Jetta and Passat are same, i wonder if we can re-fit paying extra.

But have to be very careful with warranty. These VW people can say your warranty is Void though you did the changes in their authorized service centre and we have to run behind the german manufacture like what Harish is doing.

Dont trust these german manufactureres.
I doubt the dimensions will be the same. Even the pre-facelift and face lifted Civic's lights cannot be interchanged it seems. Even though the shape is relatively the same.
About the Germans being strict. Yes have heard a lot of them stories too. So even if it was possible i too would advise against it.
Old 9th August 2011, 20:20   #209
BHPian

Missing adaptive xenons a deal breaker for me. Hope it appears even as an option. Skoda looks better in comparison. May be we will soon see a laura with a 170 BHP engine.
Old 10th August 2011, 14:52   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be we will soon see a laura with a 170 BHP engine.
May be not...May be VW will trim down the Laura even more and always have it a notch below their own VW cars.

We never know.

The Laura L&K is one of the "complete" cars in this segment. They had to price it right to get more buyers.

L&K at 19L would have been mine..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed