Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 17:52   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: New VW Jetta

While there is so much debate about the new Jetta's pricing. What we are all forgetting is that the new car has been cheapened by VW to compete with the Japos and a lot of the quality materials and suspension etc have been done away with. I understand that we will get the Euro spec one which is slightly better than the US one, but still !
Also, why would VW price it closer to a Passat even on the higher spec one? Wouldn't people just buy a Passat or even cheaper a Superb?

I have a feeling this car will compete with the Cruze and that would be a smart move.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 18:34   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post

Jeremy Clarkson is a well respected intelligent man.
(Sorry to go a bit OT)

Intelligent no doubt, as he gets paid a heck of a lot of money to do sensationalist reviews which tend to go from one extreme to another. He's like the BBC Top Gear version of the hindi Star News reporters. (sorry, but Star News used to be my fav news English channel once upon a time before it fell apart after NDTV news channels started).

I know for a fact that auto company managers in the UK trembled in their boots when they knew a JC review was on its way to the airwaves (I used to work at a certain GM subsidiary in the UK for a while).

So rather than respected, I'd say feared is a better world!

But certainly his reviews are always entertaining and meant to be taken with a large sack of salt.
Old 28th July 2011, 18:39   #168
e46
BHPian

I support nik_kapur. If VW, with its long nosed attitude, pitches the Jetta with premium pricing expecting naive Indian customers to take the "German-engineering" goli, that would not at all be a smart move.

Remember folks, this manufacturer is not at all considered as a premium brand back in its home town (Germany/ EU). It could be compared to whats MSIL here. Its only in countries like us, do they play the brand game tricks.

I like the understated and refined look of the new Jetta (honestly more than the japo looking old gen car), but as mentioned before, VW would certainly loose me, and a lot more like me am sure, if they try to be over smart!

Thanks,
Abhishek
Old 28th July 2011, 23:32   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Here is what Jeremy Clarkson says about the Jetta. Do not take it too seriously

Full Article here: Jeremy Clarkson Volkswagen Jetta review | Driving - Times Online

Some more reviews:
New Volkswagen Jetta saloon review | evo
Volkswagen Jetta | New Reviews | Car Reviews | Auto Express
Wasn't this review like from several years back?

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 28th July 2011 at 23:32. Reason: Grammatical error!
Old 29th July 2011, 10:07   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
I support nik_kapur. If VW, with its long nosed attitude, pitches the Jetta with premium pricing expecting naive Indian customers to take the "German-engineering" goli, that would not at all be a smart move.

Remember folks, this manufacturer is not at all considered as a premium brand back in its home town (Germany/ EU). It could be compared to whats MSIL here. Its only in countries like us, do they play the brand game tricks.

I like the understated and refined look of the new Jetta (honestly more than the japo looking old gen car), but as mentioned before, VW would certainly loose me, and a lot more like me am sure, if they try to be over smart!

Thanks,
Abhishek
I agree that VW has a tendency to be over-smart. It always tries to put a premium to its car (whenever there is even slightest opportunity) in any market of the world.

As nik_kapur said, it should compete with Cruze. Another thing, the 'cheapening' thing that is much talked about is only for the American version. It has not bearing whatsoever with the Euro version. The Euro version is better than the outgoing car in every which way possible.

Guys, forget Clarkson, as entertaining as he is, he is his reviews are most irrelevant for India.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 29th July 2011 at 10:08.
Old 29th July 2011, 10:21   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Wasn't this review like from several years back?
Yes! The article is 5.5 years old (Feb 2006). In any case he seems to be trying very hard to squeeze some sense of humor. Just left me amused about him. He could have got a better outcome if he had said, "I am writing a review on Jetta. Please laugh"

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 11:48   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
He could have got a better outcome if he had said, "I am writing a review on Jetta. Please laugh"

Cheers,
Well said....
There are just too many people in the world who think that only they know about automobiles and everybody else (manufacturers, buyers) is an idiot!
Old 30th July 2011, 11:22   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

I am desperately counting off days to when TBHP review comes out for the Jetta. I presume one is on the way right?

Also any idea when do the bookings start?
Old 30th July 2011, 11:36   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am desperately counting off days to when TBHP review comes out for the Jetta. I presume one is on the way right?

Also any idea when do the bookings start?
Quite sure that it’s coming in mid August (IIRC, on the 17th).

Since VW normally does not do a revealing ceremony kind of thing (like Ford), the bookings should be immediately after that. Do take a test drive before putting in the booking amount
Old 30th July 2011, 19:42   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quite sure that it’s coming in mid August (IIRC, on the 17th).

Since VW normally does not do a revealing ceremony kind of thing (like Ford), the bookings should be immediately after that. Do take a test drive before putting in the booking amount
Oh I will book only after the TBHP review comes out. The forum is like God to me when it comes to cars. Waiting for the review desperately to come and ofcourse hopefully VW will price it sanely.

I went to the VW showroom today to check out the Vento. The SA told me that the Jetta is coming on 17th and they will be getting it on the 7th but it will be kept under wraps. On a little pushing cum begging plus a perfect puppy face ,he promised to give me a sneak preview of the car once it arrives on the 7th. Lets see if he keeps his word now.

Last edited by drmohitg : 30th July 2011 at 19:44.
Old 1st August 2011, 19:04   #176
Senior - BHPian

Pics of the New Jetta may have been posted before.
but when my wife whips out the BB and clicks a few snaps of the New Jetta for me, sure they are going to be worth posting right.
So here goes.
Spotted testing, near Lonavala.
New VW Jetta-img2011080100181.jpg

New VW Jetta-img2011080100182.jpg

New VW Jetta-img2011080100183.jpg
mdsaab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 19:22   #177
Senior - BHPian

The second picture looks like an Audi. The rear looks like an Audi specially the way the rear curves in and the antenna.

But the tail lights look very old. I like the 2010 Jetta rear lights. A major drool factor for me.
Old 1st August 2011, 19:39   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Pics of the New Jetta may have been posted before.
but when my wife whips out the BB and clicks a few snaps of the New Jetta for me, sure they are going to be worth posting right.
So here goes.
Spotted testing, near Lonavala.
Thanks Mrs. Mdsaab! You have an eye for picking up a scoop

The rear of the New Jetta has some heavy influence of A4, but its no longer a booted Golf. Quite a classy looking sedan.
Old 1st August 2011, 19:57   #179
BHPian

Thanks for the pics Mdsaab!

The new Jetta looks gorgeous. To me it is ages ahead of the older Jetta. Just could not stand the rounded ring tail lights on older model. This one is perfect and classy.

Last edited by SunilM : 1st August 2011 at 20:04.
Old 1st August 2011, 20:02   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The second picture looks like an Audi. The rear looks like an Audi specially the way the rear curves in and the antenna.

But the tail lights look very old. I like the 2010 Jetta rear lights. A major drool factor for me.
It really looks like an Audi A4, especially from afar.
I feel the tail lights will be LED ones, similar to the ones on the Passat.
Which look cool enough.
would be interesting to know if the Jetta will have DRL's too.
I too loved the old Jetta tail lights, very unique indeed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks