Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:27   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda keeping mum about over the counter parts availibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Does't Maruti sell spare parts over the counter? Or is it the diagnostic tools for which they're being included?
Apologies for OT post, but just wanted to share my experience.

1) 2010 Wagon R K10 : Wagon R's AC Cabin filter was quite dirty. Called Amar Motors, Gorwa, Vadodra to confirm if they have the part. They did have the part, but wont sell it to me. They insisted on installing the part. Good thing was that I wasn't charged anything. But the filter was not made available to me over the counter.

2) 2015 Swift VXi Engine Oil : Kiran Motor, Chhani, Vadodara, used IOCL oil and they filled it less (post/s on official TBHP Swift Reivew thread). Called Amar Motors to ask for oil they use, its Shell HX-8 fully synthetic. Confirmed its MGO, so wanted to order, but again they wont sell it to me. Not even Oil filter. Eventually a mechanic from Amar Motors came home and changed oil, oil filter.

I did put up request for oil on MGP site, but nothing happened, no call nothing.

In many case, the parts are not sold over the counter. Similar experience in case of Toyota for our 2012 Innova.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 23rd January 2017 at 16:32.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:40   #227
BHPian

On amazon.com, Honda is one of the seller for OEM parts. They provide everything right from oil to major spare parts online in USA. So what's different in India for them? If you ask them this question (which was done in CCI case hearing) they will give lame reasons like warrany, technical expertise of mechanic, car and owner safety, blah, blah. Main reason is USA law is more stringent than India. Indian government woke up late to to streamline such illegal practices, and till that time we all consumers suffer for same! Car prices in India are already above western counter parts, and on top of this we get extorted for such monopoly in spare parts.
Attached Thumbnails
CCI vs Car Manufacturers : Restricting over-the-counter sales of spare parts-99.png  

techcoze is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 17:34   #228
BHPian

My experience:
My neighborhood Hyundai service station initially did not allowed any OTC (over the counter) sales. However, as I developed rapport with Service Advisors over a period of time, they allowed OTC sale, subject to job card being opened and billed. Most of the time they did not even included labor costs. I still do that for parts which are not available in the open market.

Honda dealer is another story.
I needed a wheel cap for my City. Did not had the car with me during that time. They out-rightly denied any OTC sale, even after I mentioned that he can include labor costs if he wants. Escalated it to Honda. After a couple of phone calls, a SA from the dealership was assigned. He turned out to be a gem of a person. He asked if I wanted to take away the part or install it at the dealership itself. He is still my go to guy at the dealership.

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:23   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Does't Maruti sell spare parts over the counter? Or is it the diagnostic tools for which they're being included?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
No they do not and you can purchase these parts only from MGP outlets

However, I also have heard cases where folks have purchased parts OTC from Dealer workshops as well.
Parag is bang right; I'm free to buy from MGP outlets (Oppiliappa automobiles in Chennai) who's a distributor but sells at MRP + tax (no different from ASC) OR from any independent auto car parts dealer which is priced less than MGP outlets & ASC.

If my car is serviced at independent Maruti ASC workshop, meaning not a big dealer like Kapico, Cars India, ABT etc, then the ASC lets you buy few or all spares depending upon your relationship with them.

Still in 2017...Maruti ASC rocks & much better than any other brands & businesses here. For a person like me, who believes in "Buying is one time affair, but maintenance is for lifetime"...we don't have any other choice other than Maruti
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 13:22   #230
BHPian

Re: CCI vs Car Manufacturers : Restricting over-the-counter sales of spare parts

That's right Honda does sell its OEM spares online in the US and other countries...I needed an air-filter for my Brio and they refused to sell it over the counter...! I had to buy a after market one and make do as my stock filter got completely choked due to dusty conditions.
I mean this is unprofessional and totally unfair as I have paid big bucks to buy a car from Honda. I don't understand why doesn't any Government authority butt in to help customers get at least basic spares like Air/ Oil filters and spark plugs etc. over the counter...?
Old 24th January 2017, 17:26   #231
BANNED

Re: CCI vs Car Manufacturers : Restricting over-the-counter sales of spare parts

I agree, but with the addition that most carmakers are doing the same, court orders notwithstanding. However, I am sure everything is available in Kashmiri gate, Lamington Road and the like.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 18:24   #232
Senior - BHPian

Shops in Delhi sell most MGP parts (as well as local makes). Some low turnover parts have to be ordered and there is a delay of a week or more.

Oil and lubricant specifications are given in Maruti owner's manual. My Maruti Authorised Service Centre has oil from both Maruti (Indian oil Bulk Pack with Maruti on it) as well as from other manufacturers. I fill Maruti oil as it is much cheaper from the bulk pack.

The only difference between A.S.S. and FNG is that MGP parts are available at a discount from retail shops, while Authorised Centres charge the MRP, the packaging is same.
Old 24th January 2017, 18:28   #233
Senior - BHPian

OEM spare parts are available with bksmotors.in . I picked up the coolant cap for my BEat from them a while ago and it was an OEM GM branded part. Only hiccup is the ordering process and the courier service they use, it goes to a local depot and you have to either pick it up or pay extra for local delivery
Old 25th January 2017, 13:26   #234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Honda dealer is another story.
I needed a wheel cap for my City. Did not had the car with me during that time. They out-rightly denied any OTC sale, even after I mentioned that he can include labor costs if he wants. Escalated it to Honda. After a couple of phone calls, a SA from the dealership was assigned. He turned out to be a gem of a person. He asked if I wanted to take away the part or install it at the dealership itself. He is still my go to guy at the dealership.
Honda, I blew the 15A fuse in my Civic (accessory) and wanted to get a spare. I was in Gurugram, the local dealership had a 20A fuse and sold it to me for (I think) ₹150 or so. The charged for installation also. The price on the fuse itself was some 120.

When I came back to Kanpur I bought the same fuse (rather 15A) from the local dealer for all of ₹21 (sticker price).

So something was very odd in the Kingdom or Norway. You will find more info on my Thread about by Civic Alabaster Silver.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...silver-15.html

Last edited by sgiitk : 25th January 2017 at 13:28.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 10:38   #235
BHPian

You can purchase Honda parts over the counter, but by signing declaration

Note: Original post here

Following to my initial mails to Honda India, I repeatedly kept email followup for concern related to over the counter parts availability. Few days ago they confirmed by mail that I (i.e. I assume any Honda owner) can purchase parts over the counter from HASS by
- Showing car ownership proof
- Signing following undertaking (this is exact statement from Honda email) - "sign undertaking with the dealership that the repair work has not been carried out at the Dealership and our authorized dealership shall not be responsible for any damages due to work quality as the repairs shall not be carried out by the trained manpower and as per Honda Standards."

So at least now it's clear that Honda accepts owners right to purchase over the counter parts. Second point might raise concern, since other car manufacturers do give 6 months warranty on over the counter sold parts. Personally I would not worry about this for my car since it's already 9 years old and out of warranty. For new cars this might be reason for concern.

If any Honda owner need parts from HASS (and if they are ready to sing undertaking), you can show this email as proof and buy required parts. I hope Honda wakes up soon and make over the counter parts available openly to all.
Attached Thumbnails
CCI vs Car Manufacturers : Restricting over-the-counter sales of spare parts-9999.png  

Last edited by Aditya : 31st January 2017 at 10:47. Reason: Formatting
techcoze is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 06:00   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Spares to become available over the counter

"CCI imposes Penalty of Rs. 2544.64 Cr on 14 Car Cos' for not selling spares over the counter."

A major victory for DIY hand non-A S S players.
sudev is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 08:39   #237
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spares to become available over the counter

Wasn't this in the news quite a while ago? Or has something new happened on the same lines? Any link to the source with more specifics would be helpful here.

As far as I know, Ford has been selling parts over the counter for almost a year now, and I just need my car's VIN number to order the exact part, and then get it over the counter. Has been extremely useful in avoiding unwanted labour and taxes on labour
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 09:33   #238
BHPian

Ford spares' availability over the counter is applaudable. Except countable manufacturers like Maruti, Tata and Mahindra others don't sell it over the counter. Honda and VW should start selling spares in this mode. I've been trying to purchase Honda's Idemitsu engine oil for a long while but I couldn't. The car companies should be ordered by the Govt to make this happen.
Old 14th August 2017, 09:38   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Forget car companies, what about all the superbike companies in india and their atrocious service capabilities and spares set up? These guys should be included in the penalty list for sure!
Old 14th August 2017, 11:03   #240
Senior - BHPian

I read on tbhp that it is made by Savita labs in India so I guess if you want much the same quality and grade of oil you can buy Savsol, their inhouse brand. Should be available on flipkart etc.

Else you can spend some amount more and get mobil 1 or shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavGTI View Post
Ford spares' availability over the counter is applaudable. Except countable manufacturers like Maruti, Tata and Mahindra others don't sell it over the counter. Honda and VW should start selling spares in this mode. I've been trying to purchase Honda's Idemitsu engine oil for a long while but I couldn't. The car companies should be ordered by the Govt to make this happen.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks