Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 09:50   #61
BHPian

Re: Car companies restricting spares sales - Report from Times of India

This is a great move. Finally some good news after series of bad ones like sun film removal and petrol price hike. Just hope that it gets materialized soon. Else it will remain as an announcement leaving consumers with empty hands.

Dealerships make most of the money from servicing and spares. If OTC selling of spares is allowed, their margins will be impacted. They will surely push back on such moves but then as consumers why do we need to go to them for simple DIY stuff like changing wiper blades.
Old 28th June 2012, 14:15   #62
BHPian

The car manufacturers (OEM) don't allow component suppliers to cater to spares market. These parts go to OEM and are redistributed to dealers.

If components makers are free to supply in spare market (they do for HCVs and older vehicles), the prices will come down and spares will be sold OTC.
Old 29th June 2012, 14:49   #63
BHPian

There is a second part to this story *** will not sell you spares, they will only fit spares to your vehicle. That is restrictive.
Even if spares were allowed to sold only in certain outlets at prices determined by the company may be acceptable.
Also if a manufacturer restricts his agent from selling a product lower that a certain price this also counts as a restrictive practice.

Last edited by ssingri : 29th June 2012 at 14:58.
Old 29th June 2012, 14:53   #64
Team-BHP Support

Go to any dealer abroad and they have a separate parts retailing counter. No dealer in India even has that or will even let you even buy a spare.
Old 29th June 2012, 16:04   #65
Senior - BHPian

There was a time when I had to visit Maruti A.S.S for even the Wiper Change and had to wait for hours as they wont sell it to me over the counter.
Old 29th June 2012, 16:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

I have had totally opposite experiences. I have bought parts over the counter for my Palio MJD from KHT Motors in Bangalore and AutoMATRIX in Mangalore without any hassle.

Is that because Tata sells spares over the counter, and so Fiat has no option but to go with the flow?
Old 29th June 2012, 17:48   #67
BHPian

What if I had to undertake a long journey (k2k type) and request the *** to provide me with basic spares like throttle cable, clutch cable etc ?

Did anyone ask their *** for such things ?

Slightly OT: Bajaj Probiking generally doesnt sell spares OTC but on request they do sell essentials like the ones mentioned above.
Old 29th June 2012, 20:09   #68
BANNED

I hope the CCI puts the maximum penalty (3x annual profits for three years) on the lot. This is the only language they understand. They will wake up fast.

CCI look like they are getting tough - cement industry fined 6300 crores recently. Even if on appeal the penalty is reducted the message would have gone home. How about getting the GoI and PSU oil firms on cartelization on Petrol!

One more point make the availability of service documentation at reasonable price mandatory.
Old 29th June 2012, 20:15   #69
BANNED

YES!

This news seems to be true here with MASS atleast.

Two days back had gone in to Autofin Maruti, Bowenpally for a Wiper and Horn change since both were kaput. Went to the spares sales counter and asked them for the parts. Answer I got was "We don't sell parts over the counter anymore, Sir. You will have to get the car in and open a job card for the parts change"

I did it the same and opened the job card. Interesting part was there were three more customers waiting in the lobby for a horn change. After a wait of 45 minutes I get the service manager say the there is no stock of the Horn and it could take a week or so.

Just chnaged the wipers and came out.
Old 18th July 2012, 00:14   #70
BHPian

Skoda dealer (Vision Motors, Thrissur) not willing to sell spares/parts!

Friends, I've never experienced anything like this before. We had bought a Skoda Laura last month from Marikar Engineers, Kochi. They didn't have the mud flaps in stock at the time of delivery so we didn't install them. Our home is 300 kms from Kochi and a trip to just get accessories was out of question. Incidentally, last week my cousin was in Thrissur and I asked him to just check with Vision Motors (Skoda dealer for Calicut and Thrissur) if they had the part in stock. They had, however, they wouldn't sell it to him unless he brought the car in and fixed it there. He asked if it was a Skoda policy and the dealership folks said its a Vision Motors management decision. I find this ridiculous and wanted to check with folks on this forum if you have ever come across a situation like this.

The only reason we didn't buy the car from Vision motors was because they just couldn't match the pricing (read discounts) given by Marikar or St. Antony's in Kochi. Also the sales people didn't have a clue when I started asking questions like will you activate all the features (thanks to team-bhpians input). However, a dealer should honor the car regardless where the customer bought it from. Can they actually refuse to sell parts giving such absurd reasons? I know this is such a small issue and probably doesn't warrant its own thread, I mean a Rs. 1000 part, but nevertheless I'm surprised at their attitude.
Old 18th July 2012, 08:41   #71
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda dealer (Vision Motors, Thrissur) not willing to sell spares/parts!

Very few manufacturers (like Maruti and Tata) offer spares/parts at the A.S.S.; but even then it is necessary to open a job card. Since Skoda doesn't have such a policy; the dealer refusing the sell parts without the car is still acceptable to a certain limit.

However, I'm sure they shouldn't have a problem giving a mud flap since it's an accessory; not a vital spare.

Bad business attitude I must say.
Old 9th August 2012, 18:43   #72
BHPian

Re: Car companies restricting spare parts sales

NEW DELHI: Competition watchdog CCI is investigating allegations of anti-competitive practices by a section of car makers, Minister of State for Corporate Affairs RPN Singh said today.

In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, Singh said the Competition Commission of India (CCI) has received certain information against some car makers.

"The CCI, which is a quasi-judicial body, is getting the matter investigated for appropriate action in the matter as per the provisions of the Competition Act, 2002," he said.

In 2011, a complaint had been filed against international car makers, accusing them of abusing their dominant market position by selling auto parts to customers at high prices.

The complainant said the car makers were abusing their dominant position by making available spare parts only through their authorised dealers, who in turn sell them on high rates.

The Commission, which became fully functional in 2009, with the appointment of a chairman and six members, at present has the power to check anti-competitive agreements and abuse of dominant position, drawn from Sections 3 and 4 of the Competition Act, 2002.
source:CCI probing anti-competitive practices by car makers: Government - The Economic Times
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:14   #73
BHPian

Competition Commission to serve notices to car makers over costly spare parts.

Good news for us?
http://www.moneylife.in/article/comp...rts/28223.html

cheers,
dr. musa
Musa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:07   #74
BHPian

Re: Competition Commission to serve notices to car makers over costly spare parts.

I fail to understand the article. What exactly is the issue here? Is it that carmakers are selling spare parts at high prices, or is it the non-availability of these spare parts anywhere else but the dealers?
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:15   #75
Senior - BHPian

Re: Competition Commission to serve notices to car makers over costly spare parts.

Well , they are interlinked , by creating a monopoly they then leverage that to sell parts at a high cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I fail to understand the article. What exactly is the issue here? Is it that carmakers are selling spare parts at high prices, or is it the non-availability of these spare parts anywhere else but the dealers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks