Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 09:07   #31
BHPian

re: Cars with bonnets visible for drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Does not anyone think that they can see the bonnet on the Fiesta, I can see it. It basically depends on how you adjust the driver's seat. For my adjustment, I can.
+1, I too can see bonnet, but I prefer to have seat little behind even if it meant that I will be missing clear picture. Only in tight situation (like parking in mall or in office) need to bend forward a little.
Old 17th March 2011, 09:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Now that's an interesting observation, but how can it be possible since both are practically the same in terms of seat height adjust as well as the front design?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Really ?
Yes, really! Although they look very similar, I guess the Linea's bonnet is flatter than the Punto's. I also think it's slightly longer than Punto's - although I haven't done the measurements with a tape.
Old 17th March 2011, 09:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I cant see the Swift's bonnet either, even with the height adjust. Heck, I couldnt even see it in the 800, unless I sat uncomfortably upright.
A friend of mine drives a Swift and he sits on a pillow so that he can see the bonnet

While I doubt if he is able to see the extreme ends but a good try
Old 17th March 2011, 09:40   #34
BANNED

Why only the bonnet. Even the rear end is pretty invisible and the thick C-pillars do not help. Right now I do not see the bonnet in either of my cars. I could just see it in the old Accent, but I am sure a shorter driver would not have.
Old 17th March 2011, 09:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I could just see it in the old Accent, but I am sure a shorter driver would not have.
Totally agree sir. Height does count. Also, driver's physiology matters. Some people have longer legs and comparitively shorter upper torso, so the person would be sitting really back and hence may not be able to see. Others who have longer upper torso and shorter limbs would sit closer to steering and will be seeing from greater height due to longer upper torso and hence may be able to see.
Old 17th March 2011, 09:52   #36
BHPian

When driving an unfamiliar car, I use the hand-length measure. If the obstruction, vehicle or pedestrian is more than three arm-lengths away from where I sit, I'm probably touching them. Unless it's a car with a small front end, then it's two. This usually gives me enough spare room.

And while parking, I use the window to look out and judge the length. It's not too difficult, and manage to squeeze into impossible spaces just using power steering, elbow grease, and some friendly, almost-touching manouveres. My dads' driver is always surprised how I manage to park an inch from the wall.

The thing is that if you're trying to judge a distance to the obstacle using the bonnet, you're looking at the wrong thing. Look at the obstacle. The rest comes easily.
Old 17th March 2011, 10:31   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Its too confusing !! Whats the question actually? Is it

1. Can you see a "bit" or bonnet?
2. Can you see the bonnet completely till the edges of the lights ?

I have driven 800 & swift extensively and am 6'2" ! But I have never managed to see the edges well. Yes, I have seen the portion close to the windshield, but that doesnt help in driving.

Add to it the swift's thick A-Pillar, its really difficult to manage the edges while taking turns !

I guess the question was raised considering the edge visibility helps a lot in parking and squeezing into tight spots rather than driving on an open road !
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2011, 11:41   #38
BHPian

Octavia
Rolls Royce Phantom and all Ferrari's and Lamborghini's (all of them have long bonnets)
Old 17th March 2011, 12:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
A friend of mine drives a Swift and he sits on a pillow so that he can see the bonnet
Isn't that dangerous while coming to a sudden halt..wouldn't the pillow slide forward?
Old 17th March 2011, 13:39   #40
Team-BHP Support

Of the cars I have driven, I could see the entire hood periphery in Premier Padmini, 118 NE and Amby.

I can just about see the corners in 800, Zen and Corsa. The corners are up to judgement in the Indica, DZire, ANHC etc.

I think in cars that have airbags and therefore a wide dashboard it is harder to know what the boundaries of the hood are. Hatches generally tend to have a more sloping hood than sedans.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th March 2011 at 13:45.
Old 17th March 2011, 13:41   #41
BHPian

118! Oh boy!! all the 4 corners are easily viewable & judgeable!! Zen is good too!
Old 17th March 2011, 13:50   #42
BHPian

I drive a Innova and I am 6.2 but never have I ever seen the bonnet from the inside, never felt the necessity to even in city traffic.

Taking U turn in tight space might be tricky, at that time I simply switch On the head lamp in high beam, even if it is day time, gives me a fair idea of the distance.
Old 17th March 2011, 13:51   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
To judge the distance of the tree, I switched on the headlights. It worked well. But it would have been much more convenient if I could see the bonnet.

I use this trick while climbing the multi-level car park with 2 hair pin bends at my office. Parking lights reflection off the side wall helps me brake inches away from a bump before damage.

One tiny factor (psychological comfort level) in my purchase decision for a Jeep-si (like a jeep) or Gypsy (take your pick ) was bonnet visibility.

Cheers

Last edited by Ragul : 17th March 2011 at 13:53.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:00   #44
BHPian

Well for starters, once any person gets used to his cars i am sure you can drive a car with an apples distance between him and another car (now i am giving an example and dont support this.) As rightly pointed out by many, the modern generation cars with a cab forward stance give more importance to pedestrian safety and aerodynamics. So i guess you just need to get used to your car.

As per the topic, i cannot see the front of my vectra but i can very well see it on my 500 SEL, and oh ya the merc logo helps too.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:08   #45
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
I may not be able to explain this feeling properly. And may be, somebody amongst you can/will, down the thread. Seeing the bonnet while driving gives me immense pleasure while driving. It has a unique feel. I wish I had words to articulate this feeling!
Second this. It is indeed a majestic feeling to see the bonnet bob up and down against the tarmac while driving.

Funnily enough, all my cars during 90s had a good seating position and long enough bonnet to enable the view. Then the Ikon also had a good view. In fact one key criteria to buy the Ikon was the bonnet view.

Miss this on the Civic!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks