Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2011, 13:58   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car highly expensive to run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
As much as I 'respect' money considerations, I think that not everybody can think like that at all. I believe in the principle of equality to the core, but I think there could be area based preference trend too. Having lived in Delhi all my life, and now having been in Bangalore for a few years, I can safely say that very few people in Delhi who have a car would like to drive a bike (unless a fancy one). whereas down south, people are lot more open in preferences/situations (dunno whether I support that or not!).
To each his own! But money was not the only consideration, though very important. To commute to work, I am actually spoilt for choice. I can as easily take a bus or suburban train to work from where I live, as drive a car/bike. The bike is preferred not only for it's economy, but also because it is the most nimble in traffic.

Perhaps people up north think it is low status to ride a bike after upgrading to a car, we don't!

What I wanted to convey was, one would calculate the up-keep expenditure for a car before the purchase. In fact one would project for an increase in fuel price as well, I can't accept this came as a surprise after the purchase/running of the car!

Last edited by Gansan : 31st March 2011 at 14:02.
Old 31st March 2011, 14:16   #92
Senior - BHPian

@Abhi, it is not for nothing that Chennai is the bike-capital of India, with the distinction of having the most bikes among any city in India.

Actually it is a good thing because imagine how the roads would be clogged if all car-owners stop using their bikes like in Delhi.

Even after buying a car, I used to commute by bike few days of the week, even till recently. I stopped it only when I started getting back-pain due to the 20km commute.

Regarding the weather part, I actually followed a contrarian approach during the initial days of buying the Baleno. If it was raining or there was a chance to rain, I would go by bike - kitted with raincoat. Reasons were :
1) During rains, people who own cars, but normally commute by bike, switch to cars. This leads to more traffic and longer commute time. With a car, I would get stuck, but on a bike I could save some time.

2) Roads are wet leading to increased stopping distance for bikes, not to mention skids and rear-hits. Since the car was new, I wanted to avoid bike-hits and thus not using the car during rains.

EDIT : Abhi, I took it in the right spirit only and fully understood what you meant about different regions displaying different usage behaviour. No issues, man.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 31st March 2011 at 14:38.
Old 31st March 2011, 14:22   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps people up north think it is low status to ride a bike after upgrading to a car, we don't!
Quote:
Actually it is a good thing because imagine how the roads would be clogged if all car-owners stop using their bikes like in Delhi.
Even after buying a car, I used to commute by bike few days of the week, even till recently. I stopped it only when I started getting back-pain due to the 20km commute.
I think you didn't take it in the right spirit. Thats not what I meant. Maybe it din't come across the right way, but its all about preference. This is same as a food preference, whether you like 'butter chicken' or 'chettinad chicken', its completely your wish. Ain't it! The only point I wanted to make is that I think there are 'trends' based on regions as well.

Quote:
The bike is preferred not only for it's economy, but also because it is the most nimble in traffic.
Same point as above, very few people up north will prefer commuting by DTC bus, once they have a car. Personally, I may not prefer riding a bike in Chennai/Hyderabad if I can afford a car and am not trying to do a balancing act., primarily due to weather conditions. Bangalore is a different game altogether. Beautiful weather! I myself like to un wind on my Avenger when the roads are free or for some menial work. I don't take it to the office though.

Anyway, coming back to the original problem@hellmet,

1. I would think that you should not even think of selling the car. What has been done has been done.
2. I think that you should not think about shifting closer to work either. you are not a part of 'floating population' who come to city to work. You live with your family, enjoy it.
3. If CNG is a possibility, go for it. I don't know how true is this article: CNG Availability Made Easier In Hyderabad - Hyderabad News on fullhyd.com
4. If the CNG is not an option, try to get LPG. If you are paying an EMI for a car, better use it to the fullest.

On a different note, I am very happy that you brought this point up. I think this is problem (cost of ownership) that we all face/have faced at some stage in life. I think that we are all having fun trying to resolve your issue.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 31st March 2011 at 14:30.
Old 31st March 2011, 14:32   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
After reading this thread I cant thank my fortunes enough for buying a M800 in Bangalore 4 years ago. It was one of those adamant decisions of mine, when I just make one and blank out all other reasoning of others.

I knew I would be based in Bangalore for short period ( its a great city, put the pull of Punjab's smell & feel was too much for me). For the 2 years I was there I needed an automobile to commute. My office round trip was 40Kms. I just went straight into the Maruti showroom picked up an M800 4 gears with AC. At that time I remmember being pulled over by friends & family alike as to why move down by buying a car no one buys now and some people in office did chuckle on my back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
To each his own! But money was not the only consideration, though very important. To commute to work, I am actually spoilt for choice. I can as easily take a bus or suburban train to work from where I live, as drive a car/bike. The bike is preferred not only for it's economy, but also because it is the most nimble in traffic.

What I wanted to convey was, one would calculate the up-keep expenditure for a car before the purchase. In fact one would project for an increase in fuel price as well, I can't accept this came as a surprise after the purchase/running of the car!
Completely Agreed: I was in need of a car in year 2006 but with empty pockets (due to some personal crisis), questions in mind were the same e.g. EMI, FE, Maintenance Cost, Traffic, Parking Space, Narrow Streets (Specially in small towns of Punjab). Thank God I opted Maruti 800 AC and 4 gears model (suggested by my wife so thanks to her also ), I spent 25k as Down Payment , 3400 EMI (For 7 years, I know duration is too much but with this low EMI I am so relaxed). In my calculation Rs. 3400 divided by 30 Days (per month) It comes around 113 Rs. per day, with this amount all the above needs fulfilled, I am thinking this amount as a daily rental which is putting no burden on my pocket (Daily or Monthly) and I am a proud owner of my car. It fulfills all the requirements, good on fuel consumptions, never stopped in between. So the final result in my opinion for lower middle class man like me is: Maruti 800 (with EMI or Cash no matters). I was thinking of upgrading to SUV but now I am happy with my M800 after reading this thread. Thank You all for your valuable knowledge as you saved me from disaster like Hellmet facing.

Last edited by Passiontodrive : 31st March 2011 at 14:36. Reason: reposting
Old 31st March 2011, 15:01   #95
Senior - BHPian

hey hellmet.

1. work hard, earn more. that will sort a majority of your issues.

2. if the travel time that you have mentioned i.e 7.15 in the morning, i would assume at that time it would be comfortable to ride your bike. And while coming back well..for that time you dont have an option but to sweat it out. So maybe you can use your bike more than your car.

3. switching your beat from petrol to lpg would be atleast another 40 grand, i dont think you would be interested in spending that money, all I can say is enjoy the drive.

cheers,
ac
Old 31st March 2011, 15:12   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiontodrive View Post
I was thinking of upgrading to SUV but now I am happy with my M800 after reading this thread. Thank You all for your valuable knowledge as you saved me from disaster like Hellmet facing.
After all owning a car is a luxury. We need to consider that having car is a liability. Even if you dont use car, EMI, minimum maintenance & some fuel will be required for sure. Everyone needs to consider his financial capacity & then only should buy a car else you can face problems. One of my friends has bought car out of his budget recently, now he is very much in pain as EMI & regular fuel bills & maintenance costs are more than 16 K per month. Its almost more than 30% of his income. Now he can;t do anything.

You should buy car on EMI when you know that you can easily maintain it & able to save also per month. It should not hamper your main expenses towards family. After all you buy car for you & your family. If you are not happy & can't afford it, you & your family will not enjoy the ride in it for sure IMO.
Old 31st March 2011, 16:57   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After all owning a car is a luxury. We need to consider that having car is a liability. Even if you dont use car, EMI, minimum maintenance & some fuel will be required for sure. Everyone needs to consider his financial capacity & then only should buy a car else you can face problems. One of my friends has bought car out of his budget recently, now he is very much in pain as EMI & regular fuel bills & maintenance costs are more than 16 K per month. Its almost more than 30% of his income. Now he can;t do anything.
Thats one of the things you see. Owning a car with 30% of your salary outlay is not judicious. It should typically be 10-15%. If you are a lavish spender, maybe 20%. EMI+fuel bill.

Basically, you should own a Jetta/Civic when you earn sufficient enough to afford it (say sal range between 1L to 2L p.m depending on the loan taken). All this is exempted if your dad is a rich man
Old 31st March 2011, 17:27   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

@hellmet: One thing that must be comforting for you, even if you may/may not be able to ijmplement the solutions provided here, that : Misery Loves Company.

You aint alone, we all face the pinch one way or the other, but the love of the ride keeps us goin' , innit?
Old 31st March 2011, 17:42   #99
BHPian

I am totally in messed-up position. Paying 2 EMI's even though using one car. Had an Indica DLG and it was serving me good. Got progression and greed increased, became eligible for company leased car. In all madness to drive(pleasure) the India's national engine (Fiat 1.3 diesel) took over Ritz VDI lease.
Had thought that to dispose of Indica and pay the EMI's for leased car so that I can get the tax benefit out of it. Was discussion with my father & younger brother on the plan to sell Indica. They struck a deal to pay the rest of the EMI’s(around 24 EMI’s) on my behalf and they can use the car as the Omni fuel bills were increasing pinching them. I also relented as the Indica had give all pleasure of driving without any problem for 70K Kms and was in good condition.
After 3/4 months of prompt payment, the EMI reimbursement has stopped and I am paying 2 EMI currently.
God only should save me for another year or until next hike.
Old 31st March 2011, 18:29   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

@hellmet

Best option is to keep the car if you can afford the EMIs and use it sparingly till financial position improves. You will have to find a way to ration yourself the number of KMs you will use the car in a month.

If you can't afford the EMIs also then sell the car and get on with life. You can get a car again once things improve.

All these FE/diesel/LPG solutions don't do much good.
Old 31st March 2011, 22:10   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
12kmpl is on the low side, isn't it? The car has a small engine. I used to get 13kmpl on my 1991 Premier Padmini. No air-conditioning, yes. But ac or no ac should make a difference of 1kmpl in a car as small as this. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

I would advise you to get your fuel lines checked for leaks. My brand new Bolero was not averaging over 10kmpl. I took it to my mechanic, switched the engine on and had him crawl under the car. Lo behold! There was a small leak in the fuel line. It took a small screw driver to tighten the screw. My mileage went up to 12kmpl.

Other than that, I don't think I can advise you much. You could use the MMTS. Park your bike at Secunderabad Station. Get a first class pass made - that costs Rs. 550 for a month. Get off at Hi-Tech station. Take a share auto or a bus - Rs. 5 upto Cyber Towers. Change auto if you need to go beyond that - another Rs. 5 for that. In all, the MMTS + auto should come around Rs. 750 for the month considering a 20 day work month.

Greatest benefit? Absolute peace of mind since you are not driving.
Fuel leak is a major safety issue. Had a brake line leak once due to rubbing of the metal line with some engine part on a 10 yearold M800 (MNC Japanese brand)

Then had enough maintenance issues with an INC(Indian National Company). Indian customers are finally understanding quality - as sales dip of Indica, M800 etc, Value for Money seems to be the key. Most Indian car buyers were not aware of the differences between basic safety inputs and so called high end features.
Old 1st April 2011, 00:53   #102
BHPian

This thread really made me realise I am almost paying Rs 26-28 for each km run on my car if I calculate the EMIs paid till now + the fuel against the km run and that does include the down payment. I could even a Meru whenever I wanted and still saved a fortune.
I get office cab (non-AC indica) so not using own car for office which cuts down on the kms per month and then EMI/km becomes more but isn't that too high a price tag for each km.
Car is just six months old and office cab may not be a certainty in future. What to do? Thinking to rent out the car on self-driven basis but only to known associates. Any takers?
Old 1st April 2011, 01:34   #103
BHPian

@markmytravel That would be a very bad idea. You have brand new car and people might tamper it. Most of the people would have the " Its not mine, why bother " kind of attitude which would spoil your car.
A car is valuable only on a long run. Never on a short run. You would see yourself profited by the car only 5 years down the line.
Old 1st April 2011, 01:38   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasmhn View Post
I am totally in messed-up position. Paying 2 EMI's even though using one car. Had an Indica DLG and it was serving me good. Got progression and greed increased, became eligible for company leased car. In all madness to drive(pleasure) the India's national engine (Fiat 1.3 diesel) took over Ritz VDI lease.
Had thought that to dispose of Indica and pay the EMI's for leased car so that I can get the tax benefit out of it. Was discussion with my father & younger brother on the plan to sell Indica. They struck a deal to pay the rest of the EMI’s(around 24 EMI’s) on my behalf and they can use the car as the Omni fuel bills were increasing pinching them. I also relented as the Indica had give all pleasure of driving without any problem for 70K Kms and was in good condition.
After 3/4 months of prompt payment, the EMI reimbursement has stopped and I am paying 2 EMI currently.
God only should save me for another year or until next hike.

You still have the liberty to start discussions on selling the car
Old 1st April 2011, 01:44   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.chandru View Post
@markmytravel That would be a very bad idea. You have brand new car and people might tamper it. Most of the people would have the " Its not mine, why bother " kind of attitude which would spoil your car.
A car is valuable only on a long run. Never on a short run. You would see yourself profited by the car only 5 years down the line.
Capt Chandru That was just a thought after I did all those calculations. Am scared to death even on the thought of someone else touching my car. Have been extremely lucky not a single sole has touched the driver's seat of Cookie till date (except the service guy who might moved it a little). But what else can I really do ... don't think driving to office everyday in BLR traffic is a good idea as it will eventually become frustrating.

Most Viewed