Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 01:48   #106
BHPian

Re: Car highly expensive to run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
Capt Chandru That was just a thought after I did all those calculations. Am scared to death even on the thought of someone else touching my car. Have been extremely lucky not a single sole has touched the driver's seat of Cookie till date (except the service guy who might moved it a little). But what else can I really do ... don't think driving to office everyday in BLR traffic is a good idea as it will eventually become frustrating.
I would suggest you to use public transport system / Two wheeler and keep the car for weekends / really bad days / family trips. Which would keep your budget in check and also away from the madness of driving it in BLR traffic.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:18   #107
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Lol man.. I'm waiting to see what my hike will be for this year.. prolly pathetic..

There is almost no IT near my house :( and I like my present job. Well, my company pays 80% of the interest paid for the loan so it ain't too bad to take a loan.

As one of my friend said, it is very easy to buy a car these days, maintaining it is horrible..

Sad, but good to know I have company.

Dude milecruncher, marvane ka hain kya? No shaadi yet man..
I think you should get married to carrier oriented girl who is also doing job and will become good companion. Trust me getting married is not as bad as some may make you think provided you are marrying girl who is compatible with you and is hard working and not lazy. Having children is totally different idea and you should consider your finances before having them.

Consider, if you are marrying girl who is making similar pay like you then you together can buy house and share expenses. If you are dropping and picking her for office then you are also doing car pooling. She can also company you on weekends and will cook food for you and your parents. If she is working don't forget to get her maid for help and please do appreciate her hard work. Cooking is easy but cleaning dishes after cooking is horrible experience so do get her maid.

damn, so much to save on fuel expenses.......

edit: While you bought this car you was clearly aware about EMI which is same. Lets consider, fuel prices have went up by 30% since you bought your car, its only RS.1000- Rs.1500 increase in your budget from what you originally planned which is not too much when compared to selling this car and getting another one. You are getting psychologically worried due to inflation. Don't worry and drive this car and if you plan to keep this car for long time then get CNG OR LPG kit installed.

Last edited by Max : 1st April 2011 at 11:25.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:29   #108
Team-BHP Support

@hellmet: Get married.
When you want, but never for saving money and doubling household income.

@Max.
Sorry for going off topic. But I find your views very chauvinistic and repulsive.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:40   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

@max: I honestly hope that what you wanted to say did not translate correctly into words when you put that here.Honestly.
Old 1st April 2011, 12:02   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you should get married to carrier oriented girl who is also doing job and will become good companion. Trust me getting married is not as bad as some may make you think provided you are marrying girl who is compatible with you and is hard working and not lazy. Having children is totally different idea and you should consider your finances before having them.

Consider, if you are marrying girl who is making similar pay like you then you together can buy house and share expenses. If you are dropping and picking her for office then you are also doing car pooling. She can also company you on weekends and will cook food for you and your parents. If she is working don't forget to get her maid for help and please do appreciate her hard work. Cooking is easy but cleaning dishes after cooking is horrible experience so do get her maid.

damn, so much to save on fuel expenses.......
Would you really get married for such reasons. You were joking, right? My g/f would have ditched me instead of marrying me had I told her such a thing (which I would never have thought of anyway!). She is a on a job break currently, and I got no issues with that
Old 1st April 2011, 12:21   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
This thread really made me realise I am almost paying Rs 26-28 for each km run on my car if I calculate the EMIs paid till now + the fuel against the km run and that does include the down payment. I could even a Meru whenever I wanted and still saved a fortune.
Oops

That's too much. If you are not driving it daily, then buying a car on EMI is always painful. It always burns your pocket like this. Its always advisable to buy second hand car if your use is very limited. Else go for cash purchase. EMI is always painful and it hurts more when you are not using the car much.
Old 1st April 2011, 15:31   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
that was funnie.. (in a good way, that is)

OT:

almost 11yrs back when i desperately wanted to buy a CBZ, i approached ICICI bank, but my application got rejected. when i asked them the reason for the rejection they told me and i quote "your application was rejected because you are a bachelor. if you get married we can give you the loan"!!!

i was i was not about to get married to get myself a CBZ!!
Old 1st April 2011, 16:47   #113
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

@Max.
Sorry for going off topic. But I find your views very chauvinistic and repulsive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
@max: I honestly hope that what you wanted to say did not translate correctly into words when you put that here.Honestly.
You guys are taking it in wrong way, I mean he has to get married in few years and why not consider carrier oriented girl?. What is the harm in that? In united states if couple are not earning then its become very difficult to live quality life and same is happening in India as well, look at the house prices, now days decent house easily cost Rs.60L above and kids education easily cost about RS.1 Lakh per Annam per kid.

As far as my cooking comment goes, while I used to live alone, I use to eat outside food which was not very healthy but after marriage my wife cooks for me, which i feel is very nice and always praise her for that.
Old 1st April 2011, 17:07   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I stay 21km away from work which is 42km round trip commute daily, in the most dense urban traffic (Hyderabad, Tarnaka->Madhapur).

What would you do in my situation? I'm starting to consider selling the car away and buying a decent bike. What use is paying EMIs for a car you can't afford to drive?
I drive 45kms one way to my office, every day. So every day I am driving at least 90kms. In the evenings, I am spending around an hour (and sometimes another half) to cover about 25 kms.

I drive a Santro which so far is returning around 14kmpl on average without AC.

I suggest you forget about the prices and budget and just enjoy driving your car. Some things cannot be measured by money alone.
Old 2nd April 2011, 01:03   #115
Senior - BHPian

@hellmet:

I guess the responses out here can be surmised clearly in these possibilities:

a. If you simply cannot afford the EMI and the running costs, sell the car. The most painful option I suppose, but there will be many more cars you will own in the future, I am sure!

b. If a. is not necessary, then look for ways to reduce your running costs by CNG / LPG / Car Pooling but use the car everyday.

c. Try reducing your distance every month by splitting between car and bike. Get some good safety gear and drive safely! Don't worry about what people will think seeing you drive with Cramster Gloves / jackets to office.

d. Look for ways to increase your income or shift closer to office. I believe you've already said its very difficult.

e. I have another option for you which will probably be laughed off by everyone here as a fiscal /financial mistake--Analyse possibilities of pre-paying your loan.

I know it's not a good idea financially (because you probably have a huge principal amount left as the earlier EMIs are mostly interest), but trust me it will go a long way in reducing the psychological pressure of the EMIs. I am assuming you have a 5-year loan. If it's a 3-year loan, just be patient. It will finish before you know it.

If you have some redeemable investments / some saved up cash anywhere to spare, explore that option.
Old 2nd April 2011, 01:15   #116
BHPian

If you sold your car, how much will you get? What's the remaining loan amount?

Last edited by DarkEraser : 2nd April 2011 at 01:22.
Old 2nd April 2011, 15:51   #117
Senior - BHPian

I face the same situation.
I have a car a petrol one and a bike which thankfully is equiped to handle long distance travel. My office is 17 kms from home. I have a own house which I dont want to rent out for the sake of living near office.

What I do is take by bike daily and use the car for my weekly rounds.

What is my plan to tackle this? I am waiting for the next promotion. Once that happens, I will assume I dint get any hike and put all the money for my petrol during the commute.

I am not thinkiing of a diesel vehicle cos of two reason 1. Higher EMI 2. You never know when the govt might change its mind and charging higher tax on diesel.
Old 2nd April 2011, 17:25   #118
Senior - BHPian

^^ If the weather is clear, no luggage and there is only me + 1 passenger, I feel positively guilty about taking the car out for short trips (up to 15 KM)!
Old 2nd April 2011, 19:50   #119
BHPian

I take the car even if I am the only one if hot sun is shining. THat is because I bought a ten year old ZEN,70000Km old
Old 2nd April 2011, 20:52   #120
Senior - BHPian

^^
The purchase price makes no difference to me. I paid full cash for it so no emi. What I meant was the principle, at today's fuel prices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks