Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 20:10   #61
BHPian

Re: Car highly expensive to run!

I had to do a lot of thinking before buying my first car, I knew right from the beginning that I didn't need a new car, One and only important factor made me to come to the decision to get a used car, it was depreciation.

I also wanted to get a petrol car, as my monthly run is less than 200 - 300 kms, I live 5.5 kms away from my work place, and get transport from my company, so never really drive to work on a daily basis, its just those days when I really feel like driving that I head out in my car.

and thanks a ton to T-BHP, even though I wasnt a member of it at the time of decision making (I was yet to get approval to post here at TBHP), I went through a lot of posts and with the kind of info, i could take a decision and bought my Swift Petrol 1.3, 2006 model, 56k run @ 3.3 lacs.

I get close to 12kmpl in the city, didnt check the mileage yet on highways, would like to know if the mileage is less, as sometimes i feel i am getting less than 12 in the city.

I lived in Delhi for over 6 years, and used to commute to Gurgaon from Sarita Vihar (44kms one way) approx, on my pulsar, I couldnt afford a car, and had no option but to ride my bike each day, and the summers of Hyd are no where close to Delhi, Hyd summers last mere 3 months, but Delhi has it going for over 6 months.

But I feel if you have an option switch over to the bike as much as possible.
Old 24th March 2011, 21:25   #62
BHPian

From what I understand, I do not think it is possible to move out. so lets leave that. It probably is also used to take your parents around. Like most said if you sell your car you will quite a bit. I was just wondering if you have a budget for travel expenses ( to and fro from the office, just that). Gas conversion if done through an authorized outlet looks like a good option. like I said once you have a approx budget, think the rest will fall into place.
Old 25th March 2011, 00:04   #63
BHPian

@ hellmet

Pal the best option is to not cut down your expenses but increase your income. Am not talking about a rise here but why don't you look at opportunities that can help you make some extra income? Am telling you this cos for me this was the tried and tested way
Old 25th March 2011, 12:10   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I'm sorry.
what?
I sat in one on the expressway, once(which was enough), and noticed a few things:
1. I was hot, cos the owner didnt buy a Air-conned one as an AC meant an extra 50-60k.
2.I was scared, cos although its rated at max speed 80 kmph, it wheezed at anything past 40.and everything, even in a jam, was shooting past!
3. I wanted to get out and take a bus
4. I wanted to throttle my colleague, cos he kept cribbing about how he didnt charge it fully, and about what would happen if he ran out on the E-way, how'll he charge(as compared to what would happen if he ran out anywhere else?)
1. It is not the fault of the car if the owner didn't buy an Aircon with the car.
2. Are you saying its too fast? It has high torque coz its an electric motor in it. Controlling the speeds comes with practice. Again, not the car's fault.
3. That feeling is non-argumentative.
4. Again, not the fault of the car. Charging it half is a risk taken by the owner. Good u felt like throttling ur colleague and not the car.

I fail to understand how any of the points mentioned by you works against the idea of having the Reva as a second car which can work out far cheaper to travel to/fro home-office.

Prajwal
Old 25th March 2011, 12:21   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
1. It is not the fault of the car if the owner didn't buy an Aircon with the car.I would expect an aircon as standard in a 3+ lac car.I do not expect to pay 50k more for what basically is a necessity , and generally a standard feature.
2. Are you saying its too fast? It has high torque coz its an electric motor in it. Controlling the speeds comes with practice. Again, not the car's fault....really?you think the reva can be accused of that, of all things?
3. That feeling is non-argumentative.none offered.its the culmination of dissappointment with the car.
4. Again, not the fault of the car. Charging it half is a risk taken by the owner. Good u felt like throttling ur colleague and not the car.you run out of petrol you take a bottle to the station, in case you cant push the car so far.

I fail to understand how any of the points mentioned by you works against the idea of having the Reva as a second car which can work out far cheaper to travel to/fro home-office.

Prajwal
Are you using one?
If you are, then understand that i am not flaming the car or the technology.
Its just that it has to be justified as feasible to be an alternative.

personally, and maybe you can concur as well, i wouldnt use a 80km range car for a 60 km drive...somehow, too close.

cheerios.
Old 25th March 2011, 13:30   #66
BHPian

Along with what everyone shared my two cents - Try get a co-branded credit card for a petrol company. It gives you some savings. For example i use Citi bank Indian Oil card and the points i get can be used for free fuel.
Old 25th March 2011, 15:46   #67
BHPian

Sell your old bike (anyway you thought about having a better one) that will give you vitamin M to cross this summer. Use the time to do something to get some extra income or pay hike. If nothing works out you can always sell your car and move to plan X and yeah! by the time your depreciation loss got reduced.
Brilliant! Don’t take me serious. I am a Gambler

Last edited by aah78 : 25th March 2011 at 21:05. Reason: Duplicate post deleted.
Old 25th March 2011, 16:00   #68
BHPian

I used to take Auto + Volvo city buses to work (11 kms away) frequently until recently. Changed job his month to a far off place (27 kms) and since the company provides Volvo transport, I didn't have to think twice. Absolute peace of mind plus savings! Take the car out on weekends and you'll love it even more!
Old 25th March 2011, 16:05   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
1)Whenever the weather and your health conditions are not good go by car.
2)Go by your motorbike,wear safety equipments.
3)Try to search for other sources of income,whatever small.
4)Change your job if you get any,near to your house and which will pay you higher.

All the best.Learning-Never buy a car on loan. Buy a car only when you can afford it really. I too face the same problem to a small extent but luckily my office is nearby.
I completely agree with amit's 1st and 2nd option. During monsoon or when the summer is at its peak, travel by car. When traveling with your family, use your car. For most of us, while buying our car,the first priority is always our family. So, do not think of emi's or petrol prices or anything when it comes to you and your family.

hellmet, i too think moving out of an owned apartment is a bit on the tougher side.

As rightly pointed out by someone, car pooling might not be a feasible option( not only because of office timing mismatch, but also could be because of personality or thinking mismatch) .

So, use your car for the purpose for which you bought your car.
Old 25th March 2011, 19:40   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Change your job or start looking for one with more salary.

It isn't paying you enough to maintain a small car anyways....
@ hellmat: an interesting thread, quite practical - nowadays.
@ Spitfire: best solution, very practical - always !

I have a very small family. I used Indigo diesel for 4 years, when commuting to office was 44km, getting FE of ~12.5. Some 8 months back, sold off Indigo and upgrade to Xylo, and now due to job change the office trip is 70km, FE being ~11.5. we all know the Mumbai's WEH traffic during peak hours.

Some days back, even I got some weird & mix thoughts:
- why did I go for a big car in the first place ?
- can I sell off the current one and buy a new hatchback which gives good FE ?
- can I look for a used sedan ?

Came to normal and spoke within, no point of selling at this stage - heavy loss in depreciation (and maybe loss of self image due to downgrade!) Anyways, once the EMI are done, I would be a relaxed. Might as well, enjoy my ride; try to maintain it for years to come.
Old 26th March 2011, 17:06   #71
BHPian

Hellmet,

Do try and implement some of the suggestions that others have made already regarding car-pooling and leaving at times that help you avoid heavy traffic. You mention that you start work pretty early so that should take care of the morning situation. I agree with the others who say that there is no point now selling the car since the upfront loss on sale will be quite large. I just had a couple of other thoughts:
- Traffic should get lighter a little later in the evenings. So if it means hanging around near office and hitting the gym for example (activities that you would normally indulge in after getting home), then do so. As it gets later, traffic will hopefully lighten up.
- Try and combine use of the bike and car through the week; this will reduce your overall monthly cost of fuel.
- At the end of the day, better things in life come at a cost. A lifestyle upgrade from a 2-wheeler to an air-conditioned 4-wheeler will necessarily come at a cost. At some point, accept that and look at it as money spent for joy. It will ease the pain though the numbers will remain the same.
- Last but not the least, remember that while your EMI will remain fixed, remuneration in your current or future jobs will increase over time. That will ease the pressure of this EMI. The first year or two may seem difficult with having to make some sacrifices of consumption but this will become far more bearable over time.

Good luck.
Ravi
Old 26th March 2011, 19:03   #72
BANNED

Hellmet.i belive that GM attaches the new LPG kit @ a approx cost of 12k or so.

My colleague has a beat and *** asked him to go for LGP at the said cost as they have special offer for Existing Beat customers
Old 27th March 2011, 00:37   #73
BHPian

Hi Hellmet,
I can understand your situation, even I spend up to 5K every month on petrol cost and my car gives me 9.5km/ltr, but it is a Corolla, understandable and I am OK with it for lots of other reasons. Which makes me come to the point, if I had a choice I would have bought a new diesel hatch any day. My opinion is that you have only 2 options:
1. Compensate by riding when the weather gods are kind to you, or:
2. Trade in for a new diesel hatch, my pick would be Figo, but I leave that choice to you.
My reasons for the 2 advice is that, since your car is still new, you may not loose much on resale value, on the other hand since it is on loan, many will be interested to get the car with a loan transfer, however the bank will have the last say in that, but nevertheless it is an advantage on your side. Now if you get a diesel hatch you may actually pay more on your monthly EMI and fuel payout, but only till you have a loan, after which this car is pure saving. Good luck.
Old 27th March 2011, 08:22   #74
BHPian

1. As pointed out in few other T-bhp forums, you would take a few years to recover money on a diesel vehicle. It absolutely wont help your monthly costs for now. (Your monthly fuel bill might reduce from 5k to at best 3k but your EMI surely would be more as cheapest diesels are going to cost more than Beat petrol)

2. Sell your bike and buy a new good one. It shouldn't cost more than 40-50k after exchanging your old bike. During summers you can leave early (my personal view is that very few things match to early morning bike rides). During winters it ll be anyways pleasant. So only during rainy season you can use cars to office.

3. Just out of curiosity how much did you expect to pay for fuel when you bought the car. Though the petrol rates have increased a lot, say 15% in last 1 year - it has increased your bill about Rs 1000. So you can analyse if you can reduce 1k expenses somewhere else for now.
Old 27th March 2011, 08:38   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baluundertaker View Post
3. Just out of curiosity how much did you expect to pay for fuel when you bought the car. Though the petrol rates have increased a lot, say 15% in last 1 year - it has increased your bill about Rs 1000. So you can analyse if you can reduce 1k expenses somewhere else for now.
I agree with this point. Anyone upgrading to a car from a bike would have done this math, and wold continue to keep the bike as a second vehicle for obvious reasons.

For instance when I bought the Alto I had decided it would not be for daily commute, not in fair weather at least. And I would buy 25 litres of Shell super a month (10 for the bike and 15 for the car), even if fuel cost goes up to Rs 100 per litre. As I did not avail any loan, no EMI to worry about.

This is for regular mudane usage and not counting the periodic highway binges, of course. That is purely for pleasure, and one does not mind the expense!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks