Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 10:37   #16
BHPian

Re: Government to allow color change, ban Bluetooth, iPOD and other rules

Bluetooth is something I can understand. Why a ban on Ipod?
Old 12th April 2011, 10:39   #17
BHPian

Well, the punishment for drunken driving and talking on mobile phone while driving should be steep. Having said this, the fine and punishment for all traffic offenses should be linked to insurance (just like we have many other countries world wide) and only then we will see good compliance from people at large.

Coming to banning Bluetooth and iPods, I am not sure if there are that unsafe. Bluetooth is ideal way to take calls while driving and when in traffic, I do take my conf calls. And agree that iPods should be banned, if they are not integrated with HU. They do cause distraction.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Question is do we discipline ourselves or wait for some authority to shove it down our throats?
It may be offending to many, I apologize for that, but most of us are born and brought up in a large society where follwing rules is among the last of priorities. And I am no exception. Only when there is an imminent fear of getting fined or caught, we tend to mend our ways. So its better to have an authority to shove rules down our throats now and thereby our future generations (not possible for next, 2nd or 3rd) will learn to follow rules from their childhood.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why the government doesn't simply ban the bluetooth and handsfree technology of the automobile companies?

I am fully in support of banning any kind of mobile phone usage, wired or otherwise, for the driver while driving, as also any wired music devices such as iPod, because they will hamper the driver's movements and also will keep out ambient noises which are very essential to safe driving.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:04   #20
BHPian

Totally nonsense rules as far as bluetooth headsets / car speakerphone etc are concerned. In fact they should make it compulsory to have a headset / car kit when driving a two-wheeler or a four-wheeler. I think it will be much safer to talk on bluetooth headset rather than drive a two wheeler with mobile phone wedged between a shoulder and tilted head or in the helmet.
RTO should be more concerned over whom to give driving license rather than fine people who use bluetooth devices.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think 'Instantaneous FE' display on MID should be banned because I find it distracts one's attention from the road to the fantastic figures on the MID
Old 12th April 2011, 11:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Or thinking or looking at the signpost or reading it, on looking at the traffic signals or looking at the advertisement hoarding. We can argue to no ends.
This reminds me of the times when, on new highways, I used to spend my full attention on reading road-direction boards at junctions.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question is do we discipline ourselves or wait for some authority to shove it down our throats?
Excellent point. Well said.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Totally nonsense rules as far as bluetooth headsets / car speakerphone etc are concerned. In fact they should make it compulsory to have a headset / car kit when driving a two-wheeler or a four-wheeler. I think it will be much safer to talk on bluetooth headset rather than drive a two wheeler with mobile phone wedged between a shoulder and tilted head or in the helmet.
RTO should be more concerned over whom to give driving license rather than fine people who use bluetooth devices.
Well, when the use of mobile phones is 'banned' by the transport authorities, people who are using phones while riding or driving are breaking the law. And you are actually advising that the government go ahead and give them some relief?

It's much safer if people simply don't use their cellphones while riding or driving. Simple.

Old 12th April 2011, 11:41   #25
Team-BHP Support

Strict rules are always good for safe motoring, provided it is well-implemented, and does not remain as another rule hundreds of loopholes.

Not sure what is the point of banning devices like iPod. Is it about listening to iPod or other mp3 devices via headphones, or hooking to the car’s music system. If it’s latter, it’s as good as banning in-car audio systems.

Just wondering what will happen to all those cars which advertise Bluetooth connectivity as a key feature
Old 12th April 2011, 11:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Well, when the use of mobile phones is 'banned' by the transport authorities, people who are using phones while riding or driving are breaking the law. And you are actually advising that the government go ahead and give them some relief?

It's much safer if people simply don't use their cellphones while riding or driving. Simple.

I support safe driving under all conditions. But we need to draw a line what to ban and what not to ban. I mean I understand talking on phone while driving is not safe but can be made safer by use of hands-free etc.

I mean given an hypothetical situation where you are a doctor and you have emergency in the hospital and nurse on duty is giving you update on patient condition every 5 mins. Do you think in this situation stopping every 5mins on the roadside to take these calls is a good idea ? Won't the hand-free devices be helpful here.
Old 12th April 2011, 12:14   #27
BHPian

Looking here seems like, people who are used to one feature and not the other wants the other features to be banned.

I support banning use of all devices which requires the driver intervention (requiring him to take his eyes off the road for more than a few seconds). For example if an iPod is plugged to the car HU and to change songs if the driver has to look at the iPod and switch songs then it needs to be banned, but if the car allows iPod to be directly operated from the car’s HU or steering then I don’t understand the fuss being created.

Bottom line is its us who needs to be responsible. No matter if we have hundred rules, if the driver is not responsible, then we will continue to be in this mess that we are in right now.

For all the people who want a ban on either or both iPod or Bluetooth connectivity, what about in car entertainment devices like the stereo, amp and sub (I don’t want to bring the LCD screens). In some cars the music is so loud that it completely fades out the horns or other surrounding changes. Should all kinds of entertainment devices be also banned.

Last edited by bhagathgowda : 12th April 2011 at 12:16.
Old 12th April 2011, 12:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

The rules look good on paper! But how about the implementation part?

Nabbing a guy using a Bluetooth headset is quite possible. But how do you think nabbing someone using an Ipod or other gizmos that is usually placed below the dashboard, practical? Imagine a guy driving a T.Fort with Jet black tints, fiddling with his Ipod. How can a cop spot such cases? Nearly Impossible.

All that I am trying to say is, even though these rules come into force, there are enough loopholes in the system for the offender to get away scot-free, even after breaking them.

As someone has rightly pointed out, it is our duty to act responsibly and exercise our discretion on when to use or when not to use those gadgets/ gizmos. No law can enforce this. It needs a change within ourselves.

If the Government can really train our cops to sensibly identify and reduces the unsafe usage, I am in for it!

Quote:
.....phone while driving is not safe but can be made safer by use of hands-free etc
IMO, It doesn't make a difference at all. Either way your concentration on the road goes for a toss, no matter how good you are at multi tasking. Phone are best kept away while driving. If it is really important to pick that one emergency call, why not pull over and answer/make it? If all your call are important, you better not be driving then. That's a clear indication that you need to take the back seat.

Quote:
.......giving you update on patient condition every 5 mins. Do you think in this situation stopping every 5mins on the roadside to take these calls is a good idea
If the doctor decides to keep himself on the phone through out his drive, it is gonna be a sure recipe for disaster. Why not hire a chauffeur if your profession demands it!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 12th April 2011 at 12:42.
Old 12th April 2011, 12:39   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I mean given an hypothetical situation where you are a doctor and you have emergency in the hospital and nurse on duty is giving you update on patient condition every 5 mins. Do you think in this situation stopping every 5mins on the roadside to take these calls is a good idea ? Won't the hand-free devices be helpful here.
This is flawed logic. And the situation would be a recepie for diaster IMO.

He would be more concerned about the patient in hospital than what he is doing on the road! Might even try to get there 'quicker'! And this is exactly why use of mobiles is banned.

What is different about using a bluetooth dongle to talk against talking on the phone directly? Just that you have your hands 'free'. Your mind is still focused on the conversation and not the road, where it should be.
Old 12th April 2011, 12:39   #30
dot
Senior - BHPian

On Bluetooth: What about cars which has factory fitted bluetooth enabled HU. Would these cars be banned?

On ipod and other USB/AUX-in devices: Same question. Cars which have factory fitted HU with such facilities, like ANHC, will come under the scanner too?

On color change: I wonder how many owners are interested on this aspect. A very expensive proposition any day.

On stricter traffic rules: Great move. Please implement them. Let the authorities walk the talk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks