Old 27th March 2006, 17:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

GO, Psycho, GO!

Old 27th March 2006, 18:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Come on Psycho!
Old 27th March 2006, 18:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

That photo gives an impression of very orderly audience. In reality it is going to be one more Kumbh mela. I wish they do something about crowding, set a stiff entry fee for a change.
Old 27th March 2006, 18:36   #5
BHPian

Go smoke the opponents guys!! Go 4 it!!
Old 27th March 2006, 18:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I wish they do something about crowding, set a stiff entry fee for a change.
That would be very unfair to the horde of kids who would be interested in the sport and could be potential contributors in future. No sport can afford to ignore its spectators and IMHO this is something that motorsports in India has done throughout. At the risk of sparking a debate, the motorsports scene resembles an old boys club which is very clannish. More the merrier - and find a way to organize the masses instead of terming it chaos.
Old 27th March 2006, 19:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
That photo gives an impression of very orderly audience. In reality it is going to be one more Kumbh mela. I wish they do something about crowding, set a stiff entry fee for a change.
I second that....... even a simple entry fee will deter the picnicers.....man the bombay speedrun was a mess......partially!! [However i talk from the less preferred side of the track!!! :0( ]
  • There were guys sent by cupid to impart their time to earthly beings of the opposite sex!!! Lechers or roadside romeos in simpler words....
  • There were labourers with no idea bout what was happening on the track...
  • There were people who were this short of laying out their mats and setting up luncheon!!
  • Basically there were more uninterested people than there were interested!!!
Levying an entry fee will be a good step!! Student discounts based on their school or college i-cards can be a plan too!!!

What say?
Old 27th March 2006, 19:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Rs 50 entry fee for students. 150 for others.

And an Rs 10 parking charge for 2 wheelers, and Rs 25 for 4 wheelers.

Last edited by v1p3r : 27th March 2006 at 19:10.
Old 27th March 2006, 19:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Rs 50 entry fee for students. 150 for others.

And an Rs 10 parking charge for 2 wheelers, and Rs 25 for 4 wheelers.
Bang on dude.......Such a small amount will do a great filtering job, and anyone who thinks paying it is a bad idea obviously doesn't belong in there!!

Are you in? Where have you been?
Old 27th March 2006, 19:27   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
More the merrier - and find a way to organize the masses instead of terming it chaos.
Idealy that would be true, but I'm sure you're well aware of the mod mentality of our crowds. By NOT charging any entry, the true enthusiasts are deprived of a good event due to the rest of the people who just stroll in for a sunday picnic.
Old 27th March 2006, 19:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Idealy that would be true, but I'm sure you're well aware of the mod mentality of our crowds. By NOT charging any entry, the true enthusiasts are deprived of a good event due to the rest of the people who just stroll in for a sunday picnic.
I agree that it shouldnt be FREE - my rejoinder was mainly to Samurai's view that:

Quote:
I wish they do something about crowding, set a stiff entry fee for a change.
If you set it STIFF, you'll lose the kids who in addition to any love of motorsport will also bring in a bit of atmosphere to the event.

Additionally, the organizers also have a duty to control the crowd - you cant hold an event and say "we didnt really expect so many people to come, so please disappear". Organizing an event also means catering to the needs of the spectators. This is sadly neglected in India - whether it is motorsport or cricket. The janta are expected to organize themselves, provide for themselves and generally do everything including make the event "successful" enough for the sponsors to put up boards.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th March 2006 at 19:40.
Old 27th March 2006, 19:33   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
That would be very unfair to the horde of kids who would be interested in the sport and could be potential contributors in future.
Perfect. But also they need to know the other side of it..something known as discipline.
Quote:
No sport can afford to ignore its spectators and IMHO this is something that motorsports in India has done throughout.
Yes and what they ignore is the safety factors. At least in Bangalore. I’m seeing it every year and sorry to say that unruly numbers are increasing every year.

Within one hour from the opening, most of those tin barricades will be broken down.

Hundreds of heroes will start showing their skills..even if they don’t have...wheelies...360 degree...powerslides and what have you.

Some accident should happen and everybody will start running across the track...canceling events as a result. Last year five speeding bikes rammed on to an Accent...and all these happen where they’re not suppose to do these.

Quote:
At the risk of sparking a debate, the motorsports scene resembles an old boys club which is very clannish. More the merrier - and find a way to organize the masses instead of terming it chaos.
Only way to do this is to charge entry fee. According to me that should be stiff...to prevent anything-for-fun-will-do-types.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th March 2006 at 19:35.
Old 27th March 2006, 19:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Exactly what happens...........

I overheard a guy asking another guy......
Guy 1: "Arre bhai, yeh log kya karne wale hain?" ["What're these people doing here?"]
Guy 2: "Mere khayal se koi hero aya hai yaha pur!!!" ["I think an actor has come here!!"]

I was short of pulling my hair out!!!
Old 27th March 2006, 19:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Perfect. But also they need to know the other side of it..something known as discipline.
Please see my reply to Rtech. It takes two hands to clap - if you have a bunch of people that arent told where they have to go or what they can do, how do you expect discipline? There is NO self-governing society in this world - you need rules, whether it is for participants or for spectators. Those breaking the rules should be punished, and VISIBLY. Only then can you have discipline.

Quote:
Hundreds of heroes will start showing their skills..even if they don’t have...wheelies...360 degree...powerslides and what have you.
This happens everywhere in the world. WHERE they actually carry out these heroics will make a difference. Obviously you dont need them to do it INSIDE the venue....people come there charged up, and it is only natural that some of them will get carried away enough to try stunts - provide a separate area where people can try out their skills safely. You need a safety valve somewhere - its a sport that drives up the adrenalin, and you cant expect people to sit down and behave like they're attending a Kishori Amonkar concert.

Quote:
Only way to do this is to charge entry fee. According to me that should be stiff...to prevent anything-for-fun-will-do-types.
Yup, and let it remain a closed community.

I understand the sentiments of those that want a quiet and orderly event, but we're trying to do away with the issue instead of addressing the issue and turning it into an advantage. Why do we then complain that MotorSports is such a nascent sport in India with hardly any following?

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th March 2006 at 19:51.
Old 27th March 2006, 20:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think there are 2 distinctly separate challenges here.

1. Keep out the junta that shows up only because its free
2. Try to maintain some discipline among that pumped up teenages.

Item #2 cannot be fixed by charging entry. These guys will pay entry and still try to do parking lot drags. Maybe
we should ban excessive consumption of RedBull.
Regarding #1, I am sure Samurai meant charge an entry that's too stiff for the freebie seekers types, not the rest.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks